PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the power plug on the OUYA?

Murka
07-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Hey guys,
I'm getting an American OUYA, and I want to replace the power plug to a local compatible one instead of using an adapter...
Being a scientist, I'm a bit ashamed to say I haven't ever worked with home appliances.
I've built my own computer from parts, which I am very proud of (Hey, connecting the motherboard wasn't THAT easy! :P) but nothing except that.
I need two things:

1) I couldn't find info about the actual power cable of the product. How does it connect, does it have a ac/dc converter? Does it have a grounding? Anything else I need to know?
2) Is there a nice and easy step-by-step guide on how to replace the plug? I know I need to cut the old one, split the bare cable inside and screw them into the new plug, but I'd rather have a idiotproof guide to make sure I don't damage anything.

Also, I've found "Sideways" empty plugs, but I couldn't find "Straight" ones for some reason...is there some kind of terminology to that, to help me search for the right ones?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

XxAnthxX
07-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Just buy an adapter with the correct voltage, ampage and polarity.

It will only cost you washers from fleabay.

Get the info from the one supplied with the Ouya.

Tbh a universal mains adapter is probably the easiest method....after the plug in adapter you don't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miketrike
07-07-2013, 03:19 PM
What country are you in? You can probably just get a plug adapter for a few dollars.

Example (US to EU adapter):
http://www.rawrgv.com/images/2013/07/07/USA-US-to-EU-Euro-Plug-Converter-Travel-Charger-Adapter-socket.jpg

XanXic
07-07-2013, 03:23 PM
He said specifically he didn't want to get an adapter...

Murka
07-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Of course buying an adapter is an option, but I really wanted to make it truly compatible without...That's why I've asked what are the power requirements of the OUYA, and whether it'll be okay if I just replace the plug to a local one, or do I need to replace the whole transformer?

miketrike
07-07-2013, 03:44 PM
He said specifically he didn't want to get an adapter...

That's why I posted a picture of an adapter anyway, because no matter what it's the cheapest and easiest route.

It's like telling your kid "no you can't have any candy." You just gotta help people in the right direction sometimes. Even when they think they want something else. There's just no good reason to replace or destroy by modifying the original adapter.

That being said, he can always ignore my post and do whatever he wants anyway. Because he can.

Since they normally sell adapters like this with products, you should be safe just using an adapter like I posted by itself. Though I was asking what country so I could look it up online to be as accurate as I can.

http://www.rawrgv.com/images/2013/07/07/vaa-005-blk-vehousbmainsplugmultiregionukeuroandusadaptertocha rgeanyusbdeviceabroadtravel.jpg

shaminy
07-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Ouya PSU is itself adapter friendly, it has changable plug part. Dunno if theres some universal standard for those swap rails...

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Murka
07-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Ouya PSU is itself adapter friendly, it has changable plug part. Dunno if theres some universal standard for those swap rails...

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wow thanks, now I don't need to replace it at all, I just need to find the right rail...how can I know if there's some sort of standard for those things?
I'm from Israel, which means European standard should work. The round pinned plugs on the right of mike's picture.