PDA

View Full Version : The School of Torture

Lodmot
07-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Hey guys.

I'm now beginning work on a new game for OUYA, called The School of Torture. It's going to be an RPG of sorts, and it's still very early in development as of now. It will have a much more serious tone compared to Game Catcher, which was designed with a silly/humorous tone in mind. The art style is going to be very simplistic because I want things to be drawn in the style of a child's drawing, but they'll also have a good amount of detail as well. This is going to be one of those games where graphics will not be an important factor. Right now I can't really say when I expect to have this game done. Right now I've been doing heavy work on the game's graphics (and there's a TON of them already...)

A bit about the game:
The School of Torture will be a game that revolves around an 8-12 year old child who has a documented history of mental health issues. He/she has been homeschooled their whole life, but the parents want to try putting them in a regular school in special ed classes. The game will take place during the first couple weeks/first month that the child attends the school, but complications arise from the very beginning. When the child endures negative experiences (e.g. teasing/bullying by other peers, teachers giving out hefty tests/essay assignments, forgetting homework, accidents), his/her entire perspective of the world instantaneously gets morphed and twisted. The entire school, in his eyes, starts resembling that of a torture chamber, or prison, and everyone around him turns into a vicious monster or demon. During the game, this shift between perspectives would be visible; environments will change, the graphics will suddenly switch from being brighter to darker and somewhat apocalyptic-looking, and people will change into demons that actually attack you. The key to this game would be surviving everything that's out to get him within his twisted perspective of the world, or else it may affect him in the real world. The game will also have a built-in time system, to keep track of the time and day. As each day goes by, the child's situations in school get increasingly worse, until they reach an ultimate climax, where it becomes almost like a life-death situation (this would be like the final boss fight of the game).

So.... That's what I've come up with.
Any suggestions/comments are welcome. ^^

rosse119
07-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a pretty epic game if you can pull it off, the only thing I would say is simple graphics are ok but not to basic as otherwise you might not be able to put across what's going on so believably. It will be a shame if the graphics ain't good on a game that needs to be so immersive. I love the idea though so will be following this.

DrunkPunk
07-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Intriguing idea. I'm interested to see how this will develop. Keep us updated!