PDA

View Full Version : Which type micro usb is on the Ouya? Does it work just like the regular usb port?

grimm
07-01-2013, 11:37 PM
By the looks of it, it seems to be a type b micro usb port, but can someone confirm that for me please? Could i use an adapter to use it as an additional usb plug for controllers, card readers or whatever? Or are there compatibility issues or something?

I know nothing of how usb actually works, but what i was gonna do, was plug an onlive universal controller into it via an adapter, as i will be running a micro sd card reader in the regular usb port. Or vice versa.

Any suggestions, info or confirmations would be appreciated.

Regards,
grimm

Masaaki
07-01-2013, 11:53 PM
If you've seen a Kindle, it's basically the same thing (actually, it's the same type of cord too - my Kindle cable works perfectly fine on my OUYA) - it's basically meant for connecting your OUYA to your PC. I don't know if you can plug anything into it or not.

My advice would be to get a USB hub and plug that into the regular USB port, and then plug your stuff into the hub.

grimm
07-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Im unaware of what Kindle is, and id like to avoid a usb hub if i can, but if necessary ill go that route.

macharborguy
07-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Im unaware of what Kindle is, and id like to avoid a usb hub if i can, but if necessary ill go that route.

The Kindle is Amazon's eBook read and the Kindle Fire is their android tablet

Jeremy Reilloc
07-02-2013, 02:36 AM
THe Micro USB is the same standard as pretty much all the Android phones, I don't know if it's A or B, but all the cords I have tried work fine.

As for using other things in there, no, it's not made for that. The reason they put 1 micro and 1 full USB is so that you can use the micro to transfer files to and from the OUYA easily. As far as I know, there is no other USB uses except for that. Powered USB HUB are the way to go and you can even get a 5 port for around 15-20 bucks now.

grimm
07-02-2013, 08:19 AM
The Kindle is Amazon's eBook read and the Kindle Fire is their android tablet

Alright, thanks.

THe Micro USB is the same standard as pretty much all the Android phones, I don't know if it's A or B, but all the cords I have tried work fine.

As for using other things in there, no, it's not made for that. The reason they put 1 micro and 1 full USB is so that you can use the micro to transfer files to and from the OUYA easily. As far as I know, there is no other USB uses except for that. Powered USB HUB are the way to go and you can even get a 5 port for around 15-20 bucks now.

Ah, i see. Well that sucks then. Powered means its own power adapter right? Ive seen those, and the ones powered by whatever you plug the hub into, and from what i can tell, the ones without an ac adapter looses more speed the more plugs that are used, correct?

This thing should work right? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-PORT-USB-2-0-HIGH-SPEED-HUB-POWERED-AC-ADAPTER-CABLE-/170906037282?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item27cacb2c22

Jeremy Reilloc
07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
The ones that draw power straight from the OUYA would only allow you to have 1 extra thing hooked up max, possibly not even that. The one you linked should work, although it's so generic I wouldn't recommend it. Then again it's so cheap it's probably worth trying haha.