PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Homebrew, and is it coming?

janthony
06-30-2013, 08:19 PM
I never really bought the Ouya for Ouya gaming. But for more or less to start replacing the thing I use and love the most. My xbox1, to me is the best emulating system to date, xbmc dash and a plenty of skins, and emulators, Fba, coinops leading the way while the snes emulates perfectly. I love having everything in a couple of emulators. Homebrew to me is what I have thought I would of had, an ecosystem of emulators with an xbmc like OS on the Ouya. The WII hasn't done it but the Ouya opens the door for it. As my boxee box takes its last breaths, to me being the best media player I own, having apple tv and a few others the Ouya is capable of being more then what I've been seeing.

Its only week one, I get it, but is it coming, or at least in development?

Apps I would pay for on the Ouya.

1) Boxee box. Granted navi-x little black box is shipping in two week it would be another console to add.
2) An xbox1 emulator port of FBAxxx, Coinops, snes.

What app would you pay good money for today. $10 and under?

CaptainCapslock
06-30-2013, 09:23 PM
I have never heard of any good xbox emulators for the Android OS, so it might take some time before one comes around. Especially since there apparently isn't that large of a demand for such an emulator.
I know this didn't actually answer your entire question completely, but I thought it was wort mentioning nonetheless.

janthony
06-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I have never heard of any good xbox emulators for the Android OS, so it might take some time before one comes around. Especially since there apparently isn't that large of a demand for such an emulator.
I know this didn't actually answer your entire question completely, but I thought it was wort mentioning nonetheless.

That's what I don't understand, the emulators from the original xbox are superior. The demand would be for every person who downloaded an emulator on Ouya, besides the psx, never were as good as the current Ouya one's. But it was just a thought when I was looking at my xbox original and 360 and WII. I want to loose the clutter.

XanXic
06-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Well like you it's been out a week. Currently there are a bunch of various emulators on the Ouya already for tons of systems upto psx. While there isn't an all in one yet but I'm sure it's coming. There is a current app being worked on by a guy called gameshelf that will merge all your emulators under one app. But some have some issues like the N64 emulator. Since Ouya's so new it's getting android ports. But I think when someone actually makes an emulator from the ground up for ouya they'll work a lot better. But the current emu's are perfectly fine. Mame idk about honestly, I haven't looked into it yet.

As to streaming and media hosting XBMC for ouya is being developed but currently totally works. You can install it from their website on ouya's browser and then download the autoboot app from the ouya discover store. And basically boot into XBMC and if you're familiar with it you'll know their is emulator plugins, tv show plugins, plugins for everything and tons of skins. And they all work with XBMC. Since they are still working on it though it's a bit buggy and you'll need to backup all your data each time you update, but it's working better than anyone expected.

I hope that answered stuff for you? I think I said everything. It'll emulate and play stuff locally or from a NAS or whatever through xbmc. So yeah. I'd expect all of that to run better the longer the Ouya is out, but I think it's impressive all the capabilities are there and somewhat functional from day one already. About the only thing it can't do is play xbox original games you'll need an actual xbox for that because there are no emulators for it since it's near impossible right now.

Example of stuff you can use XBMC to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWfe0panJOM

janthony
07-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Well that's pretty impressive in its self, having xbmc even if its not perfect is something to work and play with for now on day one. And I know today's Ouya isn't going to be like this September, October, they just need some time. Thanks for the heads up about the emulator plugin I'll have to check that out.

;;