PDA

View Full Version : Is the 8GB Memory Upgradable via a hack?

ReinMaker
09-20-2012, 05:11 PM
So, the OUYA will ship with a 8GB internal SD slot, as far as I know. Will we be able to easily open the console and replace it with a larger SD card, such as a 32GB? Would this be something that is as simple as pulling out the 8GB card and replacing it with a 32GB card or will it require soldering, etc?

Jawdy
09-20-2012, 06:18 PM
If it's an internal SD/micro-SD slot - then I see no reason why not... but if any part of it is soldered to the PCB, then you might have issues.
I can't see why they would want to solder the storage memory straight to the hardware, but that's how it's done for your typical internal storage on phones - so perhaps it's cheaper during fabrication?

Eddie K
09-20-2012, 08:10 PM
If it's an internal SD/micro-SD slot - then I see no reason why not... but if any part of it is soldered to the PCB, then you might have issues.
I can't see why they would want to solder the storage memory straight to the hardware, but that's how it's done for your typical internal storage on phones - so perhaps it's cheaper during fabrication?

I too don't see why they would solder it to the hardware, especially since they keep saying how they want to make the console "OPEN".

BOUYA
09-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Frankly it would be stupid of OUYA to solder it to the hardware. Allowing for expandable memory can only help. With this said however, even if it is soldered to the hardware, there are easier ways to expand memory, such as a USB harddrive or flash drive.

philandy
09-22-2012, 04:34 PM
There are options for wifi and ethernet storage, too. Bluetooth is really too slow, but you can send files with it if you have to. Perhaps it's an internal slot for 2 reasons; to show how easy the system is to open, and to keep it safe from dust etc. But, I'm sure most everyone would be fine if they knew it was on-board for costs.

SlingShot
09-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Where was it said that it would be an internal sd slot?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

philandy
09-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Where was it said that it would be an internal sd slot?No one said anything about it yet. We're just talking around the campfire.

SlingShot
09-23-2012, 12:33 AM
No one said anything about it yet. We're just talking around the campfire.

Ah gotcha. That would be cool though!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Ayrik
09-23-2012, 03:32 AM
I can't see it being anything other than the standard internal storage that all Android devices use, which is not upgradeable.

Jawdy
09-25-2012, 01:41 PM
I can't see it being anything other than the standard internal storage that all Android devices use, which is not upgradeable.

Aye, this was my thought, too. Still, be a shame - but the extra cost (when you multiply it by a few hundred-thousand) for the reader might not be justifiable for the number of people that would actually make use of an upgrade.

Frankly it would be stupid of OUYA to solder it to the hardware. Allowing for expandable memory can only help. With this said however, even if it is soldered to the hardware, there are easier ways to expand memory, such as a USB harddrive or flash drive.

And annoying! But it's pretty much standard fare, unfortunately :-(

SlingShot
09-25-2012, 10:07 PM
I will probably buy a 500 gig external usb drive and then never have to worry about space.

lesliew
09-27-2012, 02:44 AM
Yea we need an equipment manufacturer to come out with a HD enclousure which has the same footprint as the OUYA so that it sits nicely beneath it. akin to the ministack which fits under a mac mini.

batCrazy
10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
I would love to put one of the new 128 GB cards in my OUYA!

Thomas Bekkenes
10-16-2012, 04:23 PM
They said it was going to be something for the hacker community, if they solder the card it would en against their original statement

BlairJ
10-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Yea we need an equipment manufacturer to come out with a HD enclousure which has the same footprint as the OUYA so that it sits nicely beneath it. akin to the ministack which fits under a mac mini.

My brother and I sat down and designed one of these last night. We think we have a good idea of what it will take, but we need the official dimensions of the OUYA to ensure that it will work. It is basically a base that will sit under the console similar to what the GBA add-on was like for the gamecube.

9th Paladin
01-07-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm running into a similar issue Blair if I want to get dimensions (or even better a 3d scan) so I can prototype a silicone rubber skin around it kinda/sorta like a otterbox

Dr_Frankenstein
01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
I should imagine it will be possible to do a memory swap via a script. Similar to the ext4 ones used for phones with little memory available for the data partition.

HellRa1SeR
01-19-2013, 05:15 PM
IMHO the memory will be soldered onto the PCB of the OUYA. They might not have a SD card slot for the memory. The only way to have larger memory is through the USB port, by adding a hard drive.

gdd2010
03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
I'm running into a similar issue Blair if I want to get dimensions (or even better a 3d scan) so I can prototype a silicone rubber skin around it kinda/sorta like a otterbox

This was in the custom case forum. Interesting option: http://www.gizmag.com/staples-mcor-easy-3d-printing/25284/

RandallFlagg
03-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Since it will have usb ports im thinking you will be able to slap a 2tb portable drive to it. Why bother worrying with the sd card at all then?

sandmanfvr
03-13-2013, 05:21 PM
The reason this would be soldered onto a board is the chip directly on the board can and will have faster read/write due to better bus IO. Micro sd slots are not as fast as onboard IO. So I don't know which it is, but a nice usb drive on the usb port will fix that.

Fame
03-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Wow, if it isn't soldered, and I can just replace it quickly then I'll probably go buy like a 100GB SD. I don't know if they go that high tho, but It will be great if you can

dcninja123
03-28-2013, 06:46 AM
we have to know at least on the dev units? anyone?

RiotingSpectre
03-28-2013, 08:13 AM
we have to know at least on the dev units? anyone?

I believe the only difference between the developers units and the regulars is that it's pre-rooted. Nothing to do with hardware per-se.

oO Flowzilla Oo
03-28-2013, 04:04 PM
It already has a USB port. Just connect a hard drive. What I'm not sure is if you can add more ports with that multiple usb ports device thingy (I forgot the name.... I think it's called a hub? not sure).

RiotingSpectre
03-28-2013, 04:09 PM
It already has a USB port. Just connect a hard drive. What I'm not sure is if you can add more ports with that multiple usb ports device thingy (I forgot the name.... I think it's called a hub? not sure).

No. USB Hamburger.

http://sclick.net/cool-gadgets/new-latest-computer-usb-gadgets/05/new%20electronic%20cool%20latest%20computer%20usb% 20gadgets%20chicken-sandwich-usb-hub-open-500x375.jpg

oO Flowzilla Oo
03-28-2013, 05:08 PM
^^ lmao. That's a good one.

Athlor
03-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Support for generic usb hubs were added to Android quite a while back.

defyboy
04-05-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm a hardware hacker with experience in this arena, ala PS3. This was going to be my priority when I receive my unit.

Check here:
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?1699-OUYA-Hardware-Photos-and-Details-for-Hardward-Hackers

It looks like a Kingston NAND device on the first photo. Unfortunately being a BGA device rather than a TSOP chip it would put a hardware hack out of reach for most enthusiasts. Hopefully there are some nice testpoints (e.g. for factory flashing) available for us to attach to.

Of course, you can always use the USB port, i'm sure you will see plenty of internal USB hub mod's in the near future.

user82
04-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Maybe someone could show us the directory structure?

With linux you can just mount your external drive to the "heaviest" folder?

uberdalum
07-22-2013, 05:04 PM
I was an early adopter with the Asus eeePCs and we were always finding ways to get around the 4/8gig SSD limits. I ended up breaking down a huge (at that time) 32 gig thumbdrive and soldering it to an open bus port to get myself quite the excessive amount of space for a netbook. Perhaps there's a way to harness such stuff on the tiny PCB so we can accomplish the same thing. We also did an internal hub to mount multiple items like large thumbdrives, bluetooth and other usb adapters. I may have to rip mine open tonight and freak my wife out since she just got it for me this weekend for my bday. LOL!

DrunkPunk
07-23-2013, 06:57 AM
I was an early adopter with the Asus eeePCs and we were always finding ways to get around the 4/8gig SSD limits. I ended up breaking down a huge (at that time) 32 gig thumbdrive and soldering it to an open bus port to get myself quite the excessive amount of space for a netbook. Perhaps there's a way to harness such stuff on the tiny PCB so we can accomplish the same thing. We also did an internal hub to mount multiple items like large thumbdrives, bluetooth and other usb adapters. I may have to rip mine open tonight and freak my wife out since she just got it for me this weekend for my bday. LOL!

Let us know what solutions you're able to come up with, if any. Also, this thread (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?4789-Expand-OUYA-s-memory-without-disassemby) might prove to be useful. Keep us updated! :D

cannonshane
07-23-2013, 08:53 AM
I will be opening mine up soon to complete the fan mod, Im also going to investigate the board and see if anything is able to be done.

amix
08-21-2013, 05:42 AM
Any progress on this front?

Bye, Andreas

Wraith_Vague
08-21-2013, 12:32 PM
I've been working on some stuff (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?5072-The-Wraith-Project) software side. I've already solved the storage problem multiple ways through normal Linux command-line. The problem is with how late the external drive gets mounted. The launcher doesn't see your newly installed stuff on reboot. I just put up a spoiler last night of one of the ways I was messing with it a few days ago. The nice thing about a software solution is that it doesn't harm the OUYA in any way. I guess Ill be starting a separate storage solution thread from my project thread and post the multitude of ways storage can be fixed. Maybe someone else can continue my work and build the drive mount into the OUYA boot image.