PDA

View Full Version : Potential for Battery Pack & Car Adapter on OUYA?

ReinMaker
09-20-2012, 05:08 PM
I would love to see someone come up with a battery pack & car adapter for the OUYA so that we could use this while in the car, camping, etc. What do you think the chances are that we will see something like this made from a third party company?

LightOfNight
09-20-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't see why not. If the Ouya is going to be as small as they say, then it'd be great for those sort of situations.

ramify
09-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Honestly I'm not so sure what you would use a battery pack for. If you need a TV to display the games on, where will you display them if the TV isn't portable? I guess you would need a portable TV as well. Also, a car adapter might be a better solution than a battery pack.

Michael Thompson
01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
If you buy a discontinued Motorola Lapdock you could use the HDMI-in with some adapters to give you a self-powered LCD monitor and speakers.
I'm not certain if it would "see" and support the keyboard, trackpad and USB ports of a Lapdock, however.

Those Lapdocks are also designed to charge certain Motorola smartphones as well.
I haven't looked at the Ouya's power requirements, but it would be interesting if a Lapdock's large battery could be used to power the console as well.

If (and that's a big if) a Lapdock could completely support operations of an Ouya console, it would give you a nearly complete portability option with everything but a touch screen.

Jawdy
01-29-2013, 11:42 AM
I've been interested in Car PCs for some time - originally looking at using some Micro/Pico/Nano ITX based system, as they have toughened car cases, battery packs and adapters and DC smoothing systems (from the cars battery and alternator circuit). But with those being x86 based systems, it meant that sticking Linux on, running some other software and plugging into a dash mounted screen was easy.

Swing over to the OUYA and you've got less power requirements with similar specs. The SoC itself is tiny, so fitting inside the dash would be easy enough and running the HDMI to a more modern dashboard screen would also be simple. Then you can get cheap USB based GPS devices, get the Linux drivers, add them to the OUYAs kernel and you've got a media centre, GPS and everything else that Android can do. I would imagine there's plenty of room to play with here, with capability.

And on the battery side of things, you can get a lot of output from radio-controlled airplane batteries, 4400mAh and beyond... just need to check if the Power brick from the OUYA outputs AC or DC... if the latter, then a simple adapter from the battery to the OUYA (with some intermediary circuitry) would be able to power it, then trickle charge the battery from the cars battery/alternator. If it's AC, you'd need to convert that, but I'm already out of my league with knowledge after the battery stuff :-P

Michael Thompson
01-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Speaking of power...

What's the word on Ouya's power supply?
Does anyone know what the AC adapter is rated at volts/amps?

All we really need to know is voltage, amps. and the polarity of the connector and alternate power is a snap to come up with!

Steven Christopher Morton
05-05-2013, 04:11 PM
I've been interested in Car PCs for some time - originally looking at using some Micro/Pico/Nano ITX based system, as they have toughened car cases, battery packs and adapters and DC smoothing systems (from the cars battery and alternator circuit). But with those being x86 based systems, it meant that sticking Linux on, running some other software and plugging into a dash mounted screen was easy.

Swing over to the OUYA and you've got less power requirements with similar specs. The SoC itself is tiny, so fitting inside the dash would be easy enough and running the HDMI to a more modern dashboard screen would also be simple. Then you can get cheap USB based GPS devices, get the Linux drivers, add them to the OUYAs kernel and you've got a media centre, GPS and everything else that Android can do. I would imagine there's plenty of room to play with here, with capability.

And on the battery side of things, you can get a lot of output from radio-controlled airplane batteries, 4400mAh and beyond... just need to check if the Power brick from the OUYA outputs AC or DC... if the latter, then a simple adapter from the battery to the OUYA (with some intermediary circuitry) would be able to power it, then trickle charge the battery from the cars battery/alternator. If it's AC, you'd need to convert that, but I'm already out of my league with knowledge after the battery stuff :-P

Yeah, since I first heard that the Ouya was supposed to be "modder-friendly" I was thinking along similar lines as you. I have had an in-dash dvd player in my jeep... but I'm ready to upgrade my experience a little bit.

So if you make any headway on this or at least any info, please update us all? Thanks!

DrunkPunk
05-08-2013, 10:23 AM
All we really need to know is voltage, amps. and the polarity of the connector and alternate power is a snap to come up with!

There's a picture somewhere on the forum but I can't find it right now. I remember that the output is 12V, 2A, DC.

hyperlogos
05-16-2013, 01:02 AM
You can buy a $5 boost-buck module off eBay that will happily turn 8-36VDC (or so) into 12V 2A, without even needing a fan or heat sink. Put it in an enclosure with a lead-acid battery, done and done. I did this to run a UHF transmitter off solar.

On the other hand, does Ouya support touch screens? Because if not, it's not really a great choice for a carpc. you'd be better off with a cubieboard.

icrash
05-31-2013, 04:59 PM
not sure about the power requirements of the ouya, but the best source by far for low-cost, high capacity lithium batteries is definitely the r/c market. a great source for this stuff is hobbyking, you can get a 12v 2200mah 3s lipo for about $5, and a few of those in parallel would run the ouya for a very, very long time. I'll post a link soon.

icrash
05-31-2013, 05:03 PM
There's a picture somewhere on the forum but I can't find it right now. I remember that the output is 12V, 2A, DC.

if that's the case, then you could get a LOT of runtime from a few 2200mah 3 cell lipos. that would allow over an hour per battery, so if you did 3 of them in series you'd get easily 3 or 4 hours.

icrash
05-31-2013, 05:06 PM
3 of these in parallel would give you all the runtime you could ever need: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15451__B_Grade_2200mAh_3s_25c_Lipoly_Battery.htm l