PDA

View Full Version : Verbase is a radical spam, ad and sponsor free search engine

Alex
06-29-2013, 06:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fb80nxT3h4&feature=youtu.be

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100842013

Really what the net and search and distribution systems like Amazon do for us is bring us the experiences we want. That's the heart of search too and this type of of sponsor free search engine combined with neutrality is what is needed for a healthy internet.

As a disclaimer there is a lot I'd like to know about the Verbase, I have to wonder if it isn't culling Google's results and then that's a list tainted by sponsorship. But to me it would might be possible to kill Google off pretty quickly with working sponsor and ad free search- Amazon could be the type of company that could do it. There is an incredibly compelling reason to do it. Its going to happen be it from academia or from libraries or government. Better browsers following the same philosophy using HTML 5.o and more open tools will follow.

Just in case we forgot why sponsorship is obsolete consider its constant message:

It's always some variation of drawing a line and telling the people on both sides that they own what's on their side of the line but the other side is stealing or encroaching. It creates conflict in order to control. It could be creating DRM paranoia to try to convince the public that the public is stealing its own public property and must be punished by paying higher prices, It's diverting attention from the thieving of the publishing industry of public property. It's trying to convince us there is no fair use and no basis for libraries as the framers intended. It could be restricting access to raise profit the main tactic of publishers. It could be telling young women they are fat in order to coerce the sale of some drug. It's always coercive speech and as such needs to be limited so that other more vital kinds of speech can be heard.

It's always censorship of one sort or another. It's the marketing of sugar cereals to kids where such sponsorship is already driving an epidemic of diabetes. It's the sponsoring of young kids to smoke to create another wave of addiction and unnecessary and unethical tobacco profit. It's diverting people's attention on highways and freeways causing death, traffic and property devaluation and destruction. It's a fixing of elections by selecting who can be a candidate and then binding them up with prior commitments. It's often straight up lying and manipulating. It's always one party paying another to exploit a third parties time and attention. Its message is division, its message is fear, its a kind of low grade fear mongering that in mass aggregate form adds up to terror and a reactionary fear fixated society.

CaptainCapslock
06-29-2013, 10:14 AM
The idea of community-rated search results is fine, but it will never work in reality.
I have seen way too many of these so called "community-based" search-engines come and go over the years, and I cannot see why Verbase is different.

When it really comes down to finding the real results - or most deep results, people will always come back to Google (or Bing or Yahoo). Simply because Google is the best. Sure, there may be
advertisements here and there, but Google simply delivers the best and most correct results.
And even if some wants to argue if Google really is the best, there is always the argument that it just simply. works. better.

Starfighter
06-29-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm always looking for substitutes to Google - since that engine tailor the results based on history too much. My favorite solution right now is using DuckDuckGo and then, if needed, make it search anonymously on Google. :)

Alex
06-29-2013, 11:37 PM
The idea of community-rated search results is fine, but it will never work in reality.
I have seen way too many of these so called "community-based" search-engines come and go over the years, and I cannot see why Verbase is different.

When it really comes down to finding the real results - or most deep results, people will always come back to Google (or Bing or Yahoo). Simply because Google is the best. Sure, there may be
advertisements here and there, but Google simply delivers the best and most correct results.
And even if some wants to argue if Google really is the best, there is always the argument that it just simply. works. better.

No doubt Google is good but its crossed over a crucial line and is on a steep slippery slope now. What you see on Google is now determined by the highest bidder (that's pure censorship) and that already documented reality will likely become more and more of a problem until Google is obviously unusable. Already sponsors can pay to keep you from seeing results they don't want- and they do. Its not search its more like deceive. In the next election who ever is willing to pay Google what it and what the other side is willing to pay (2x the going rate,) may well win the election or who ever pays Google more may well win. This is paying for the power to directly mislead by directly misleading. Its spam search and it has a massive opportunity cost for a society that faces real challenges and needs information and not lies.

It doesn't matter how you get good clean function search, what matters is that you do, its and neutrality of the heart of the internet. Without clean search what is the point of neutrality? If we are sane we would never legally allow the kind of blatant censorship that is going on where sponsors can now adjust SEO prioritized by what they pay. There is no way to fix this. Its like not wanting an open relationship and having a partner who has proven they aren't faithful and will lie when convenient. It could be a sponsor/ad free Amazon prime based search or it could be academia, or libraries or a government. It doesn't matter how we do it, we won't have an internet unless we get it.

Contrary to this, stuff war causing Texas Oil power won't continue to exist if we get it. A bunch of old money elites will get dumped sooner rather than later if we get this, and we won't survive if we don't. The choice here isn't the usual degree of corruption thing its binary on point of total society stopping corruption. We've had too many dumb things like the lottery to support schools etc., but this is about the dumbest thing we could ever allow.