PDA

View Full Version : Fan mod Ouya

admiin
06-26-2013, 07:11 PM
I saw a video about someone who replaced fan with Noctua NF-A4x10. I have now ordered the same fan, i made a similar mod on xbox 1 and it worked perfect. Anyone who have done it? Other fans to recommend?

derty
06-26-2013, 09:04 PM
This sounds cool. Post some pics during the exchange process if u can :)

cama0303
06-27-2013, 08:05 PM
i also ordered that fan and will be replacing it tomorrow (6/28).

the ouya is extremely easy to take apart and the fan is held on by just 4 screws. i'll try to remember to take some pics.

Hydrus
06-27-2013, 08:26 PM
I really don't see a reason to replace the fan. It's quiet... Unlike the Xbox 360's. I'd totally replace that one.

derty
06-27-2013, 08:31 PM
So what's the reasoning behind replacing the fan?
Does the newer fan cool better or is more powerful?

cama0303
06-27-2013, 08:32 PM
the fan that came with my ouya had a cracked blade and caused a very high pitch sound. instead of sending it back or returning it to best buy which have 0 in stock i decided to fix it myself.

but i agree, the fan upgrade is not really needed, it doesn't seem like they run too hot.

pero
06-28-2013, 02:46 AM
I've replaced mine, wanted blue leds lol. Mine had 3 wires so I had to test twice to get the right cables. The connector probably won't be the same so be prepared to splice the wires and use heatshrink to insulate.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Tapatalk 2

admiin
06-28-2013, 01:55 PM
I really don't see a reason to replace the fan. It's quiet... Unlike the Xbox 360's. I'd totally replace that one.

Noctua NF-A4x10 is very quiet and cools better, good for a future overclocking. Noctua is rolls royce of fans.

http://www.frostbyte-reviews.net/reviews/cases_cooling/noctua/noctua_%20nf_a4.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rra0FwlHvBA

derty
06-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Noctua NF-A4x10 is very quiet and cools better, good for a future overclocking. Noctua is rolls royce of fans.

http://www.frostbyte-reviews.net/reviews/cases_cooling/noctua/noctua_%20nf_a4.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rra0FwlHvBA

Very nice. How much did the fan run u?

VanHalensing
06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
For the fan, does it use a standard connector? Or do you have to rewire as stated earlier? Did the noctua fan just plug in?

cama0303
06-28-2013, 04:53 PM
the fan is about $15 on amazon and eligible for Prime.

derty
06-28-2013, 05:12 PM
For the fan, does it use a standard connector? Or do you have to rewire as stated earlier? Did the noctua fan just plug in?

Good question.

the fan is about $15 on amazon and eligible for Prime.

15$? Shit ill b gettin this only if it plugs in. If not then I don't hav the patience to sit and wire cables :(
What does prime mean?

cama0303
06-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Amazon prime...2 day free shipping.

by the looks of the install you just plug the cable into the supplied adapter and it works fine. i'll post more after i install it tonight.

Pat1986
07-01-2013, 12:09 PM
just got this fan and installed it. totally simple and very effective. ouya is now completely silent, ever after playing 3D Games or watching Movies.

Starfighter
07-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know of equivalent fans to the NF-A4x10? My local stores does not carry this model so I have to go for something else, but hopefully similar.

derty
07-01-2013, 06:00 PM
just got this fan and installed it. totally simple and very effective. ouya is now completely silent, ever after playing 3D Games or watching Movies.

Awesome man. Does it plug in? Or do U hav to wire it?

Does anyone know of equivalent fans to the NF-A4x10? My local stores does not carry this model so I have to go for something else, but hopefully similar.

Why don't u order it online?

user82
07-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Anyone who wants to compare temperatures?

Starfighter
07-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Why don't u order it online?
I have looked into that but the shipping is even more than the product in many cases. Just not worth it that way.

derty
07-01-2013, 07:05 PM
I have looked into that but the shipping is even more than the product in many cases. Just not worth it that way.

O ya I know what u mean. If shipping is more than the product its normally not worth it to me either :(

admiin
07-07-2013, 12:37 PM
With NF-A4x10, the noise goes from a vaccumcleaner to silent. Cputemp goes from 66C to 50C on 1080 HD XBMC.

I didnt use adapters and shit, i soldered directly with surrounding cableshrink. You can find this common connector in some old electronics, if you dont want to destroy original fan(warranty?). If you solder you don't have to remove bottom weights.

NF-A4x10 vs stock fan.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/mmy3d4.jpg

http://oi39.tinypic.com/rr8v2v.jpg

http://oi39.tinypic.com/k50d4h.jpg

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2gui3y9.jpg

Failrunner
07-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I'd like to just get an external usb fan to suck hot air out because the stock fan doesn't seem to get the job done.

Manaurys
07-07-2013, 08:37 PM
I'd like to just get an external usb fan to suck hot air out because the stock fan doesn't seem to get the job done.

What about something like this to put under the ouyahttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/etapaqyg.jpg

cyanogen101
07-09-2013, 09:22 AM
With NF-A4x10, the noise goes from a vaccumcleaner to silent. Cputemp goes from 66C to 50C on 1080 HD XBMC.

I didnt use adapters and shit, i soldered directly. NF-A4x10 vs stock fan.

WHy isnt the OUYA in its case? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!

cyanogen101
07-09-2013, 09:32 AM
What about something like this to put under the ouyahttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/etapaqyg.jpg

Link? Name of product????

admiin
07-09-2013, 01:24 PM
WHy isnt the OUYA in its case? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!

You can test without case, no short on wood :) I dont think external fans are good. On 360 it made it worse.

Manaurys
07-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Link? Name of product????

Here's the link
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=330597008113

DamienChaos
07-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks for posting this! I've one of the Noctuas on order now (Amazon Warehouse Deals has a few available for ~$11-12, so I figured why not). With the way the Tegra3 in my Nexus 7 has slowed over the past year, I'm definitely interested in anything that'll potentially extend the life of the chip in the Ouya.

EDIT/UPDATE
Installed the fan without an issue. The Ouya even activates its fan as part of the boot process, which avoids any worries about "did I get this right?" and/or intentionally stress testing after install. My results are the same as everyone else's...the Ouya is much quieter and temp sits at a solid 51C after several hours of 1080p play on XBMC. My Ouya runs 24/7 and plays video all night, so the almost 10C temp drop and softer whirr is ideal.

At some point, I might crack the Ouya back open and cut the original Noctua wires to avoid all the excess cabling inside the case...but for now it doesn't seem like there are any ill effects. It is easily pulled away from the board and wrapped around the screw points, so there's probably not much reason to do so (other than being OCD about excess cable).

Well worth the $15. Thanks again to the others who shared the info and their knowledge about this mod!

--DC

cannonshane
07-12-2013, 02:15 AM
Anyone know if there is a direct replacement fan, Im not that keen on soldering wires etc.

rosse119
07-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Anyone know if there is a direct replacement fan, Im not that keen on soldering wires etc.

I'd be interested in that too.

VanHalensing
07-12-2013, 01:31 PM

I didnt use adapters and shit, i soldered directly with surrounding cableshrink. You can find this common connector in some old electronics, if you dont want to destroy original fan(warranty?). If you solder you don't have to remove bottom weights.

NF-A4x10 vs stock fan.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/mmy3d4.jpg

http://oi39.tinypic.com/rr8v2v.jpg

http://oi39.tinypic.com/k50d4h.jpg

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2gui3y9.jpg

If you look at admiin's pics, it appears to be a standard fan, straight replacement.

VanHalensing
07-12-2013, 01:33 PM
It also comes with a bunch of adapters, from the description, if needed.

DamienChaos
07-12-2013, 02:00 PM
I think admiin did some soldering to make his look much cleaner; whereas I had to follow more along the lines of the youtube video.

The Noctua fan does come with a ton of adapters, and you end up using one of them; the 3wire adapter which ends in two bare wires. Then, you just snip the connector off the stock fan and then attach it to the adapter wires via a pair of supplied Scotchlok connectors (easy to use...put two wires in, snap shut with a pair of pliers).

I was hoping I had another similar connector to the one used on the OEM fan, so that I wouldn't have to sacrifice the OEM unit, but unfortunately couldn't find one small enough in my heap of spare parts. So, I had to snip/reuse the OEM fan connector. That's not a huge deal as the Noctua comes with 4x Scotchlok connectors, so if I ever need to go back to the OEM fan, I can just use the two spare connectors to reattach it.

So, it isn't "plug and play" in the truest sense of the term; but even I did it, so it can't be that big of a deal...

--DC

Urbanshenkie
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm gone soldering the heatsink of and use some silver artic cooling paste..

cannonshane
07-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Thinking i might do this, Wish there was just an easy way like just a simple plug in adapter that changes the 3 pin down to the stock 2 pin.

Manaurys
07-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Thinking i might do this, Wish there was just an easy way like just a simple plug in adapter that changes the 3 pin down to the stock 2 pin.
3 pin to 2 pin
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390618691509

VanHalensing
07-18-2013, 02:01 PM
It comes with an adaptor, there's just extra wire if you want to trim it off for aesthetics.

DamienChaos
07-18-2013, 07:16 PM

Honestly, it doesn't get much easier than the adapter that comes with the fan + Scotchlok connectors. Sure, they don't look great, but you slip two wires in and clamp down; then repeat once more. Trust me, if I can do it without screwing up, it's easy! ;)

cannonshane
07-18-2013, 10:58 PM
^^^ Im not that worried about screwing it up, More so i just wanted it to be as neat as possible.

cannonshane
07-18-2013, 10:58 PM
That might be the go. Nice clean and simple.

Michael Shields
07-29-2013, 04:47 PM
do i need the yellow wire???????????

Urbanshenkie
07-29-2013, 05:01 PM
No , only red & black

Michael Shields
07-29-2013, 05:26 PM
k thanks

dont no why its gone from 50 to 58 with this paste and fan

Urbanshenkie
07-29-2013, 05:40 PM
The paste needs to burn in first

cannonshane
07-31-2013, 12:56 AM
I fit the new fan last night. Ended up just cutting the wires from the stock fan and using the connector on the new one. Just twist and taped for now. Was hard to fit all the wiring into the case but I eventually got it all in and working, I'm planning to open it up again down the track and tidy it up a bit.

Michael Shields
08-06-2013, 01:44 AM
Fitted mine but my temp as gone from 51 to 65 and now I left it on for a few hours and its boiling to touch and temp is 84 on the xbmc checker. And the fan seems to be running at the time it's on, so what's gone wrong????

VanHalensing
08-06-2013, 02:34 AM
Did you install it upside down? I'm not sure if that's possible with the ouya, but I did that on a computer once. I'm unsure if it is an intake or exhaust fan stock.

admiin
08-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Fitted mine but my temp as gone from 51 to 65 and now I left it on for a few hours and its boiling to touch and temp is 84 on the xbmc checker. And the fan seems to be running at the time it's on, so what's gone wrong????

I suggest that you test without case to see if fan works, like i did on my previous picture, be sure that you use a tick paper, wood or some other nonleading material underneath. If you use adapter it can be a problem with bad connection on wire(s). Personally i always solder stuff and sometimes i check connection with a multimeter.

cannonshane
08-06-2013, 10:15 PM
^^what he said, I pulled mime apart again yesterday and soldered the wires up. Also used the screw mounting points to re route the excess length of cable I had.

janusxvii
08-07-2013, 06:35 AM
I might need to look into swapping out the internal fan. It seems to me that there is a noticable performance drop after it's been running for a while and the case feels extremely warm. I checked the temperature using the system info in XBMC on a completely stock Ouya and I was seeing around 135 degrees F. I had a cooling mat for laptops lying around collecting dust, so I put the Ouya right on top of the fan (so that it was sucking the hot air out of the vents on the bottom) and I have seen a noticable improvement in performance. With the added cooling, the temperature is between 110-118 degrees depending on load.

cannonshane
08-07-2013, 10:36 PM
^^^it's a pretty easy thing to do. Really only 4 screws and a couple of wires.

Inotamira Orani
08-07-2013, 11:44 PM
I just wanted to point something out, if you don't want to pay for the other fan/have no need to, theirs actually a very simple mod I used to make the original completely silent. The problem I noticed with the original really is that it's flush against the heat sink, so the blades are grinding against it. This causes both a heavier drain on power to run the fan, slows the fan down, actually generates heat from the friction, and makes the noise people are complaining about.

How I solved this is by crafting two washers (I cut up the ends of a few circuit connectors, but card board should be fine as well, just be sure it doesn't leave the plastic square area the screws sit in and don't use metal). You can buy the washers to if you want, but again, make sure they aren't metal, they need to be about a millimeter and a half thick. This will help with noise, heat, and the lag when doing more intense gaming.

cannonshane
08-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Putting cardboard near a circuit board that heats up isn't exactly a good idea. And my stock fan had plenty of room and didn't catch on anything, it's just a very cheaply made fan thus after market ones provide better air flow.

jimlab7
08-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Is the Noctua NF-A4x10 fan any taller then the stock fan or is it the same size
all the way around?

Michael Shields
08-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Same size

jimlab7
08-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Same size

thanks ^^

cannonshane
08-23-2013, 07:46 AM
yeah same size as stock.

Chris Rowson
08-27-2013, 02:02 PM
i`ve just done the fan mod - but the fan on turns on briefly when the ouya starts up - is this normal ?

Manaurys
08-27-2013, 02:09 PM
i`ve just done the fan mod - but the fan on turns on briefly when the ouya starts up - is this normal ?

Yes the fan just turns on when the ouya it's getting hot not all the time

stkpxl
11-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Pulling this thread up from the dead...

I replaced my fan a couple weeks ago with the Noctua. Used the kit with the 3M wire connectors. Snip the wires off the old fan and match them up with the wires of the new one and use some pliers to close the connection. The only hard part is fitting the cabling behind the circuit board. I ran my wire from the fan underneath the board to the back of it. Very snug fit but it gets the job done. First I used the Low Power connector and the Ouya ran nearly silent. Problem is that you can't overclock with that mode as it becomes unstable. So I removed it and returned it to normal speed. You can overclock easily with that speed and it is definitely quieter than the stock fan. 10/10

Candy Cab
12-01-2013, 09:10 AM

I replaced my fan a couple weeks ago with the Noctua. Used the kit with the 3M wire connectors. Snip the wires off the old fan and match them up with the wires of the new one and use some pliers to close the connection. The only hard part is fitting the cabling behind the circuit board. I ran my wire from the fan underneath the board to the back of it. Very snug fit but it gets the job done. First I used the Low Power connector and the Ouya ran nearly silent. Problem is that you can't overclock with that mode as it becomes unstable. So I removed it and returned it to normal speed. You can overclock easily with that speed and it is definitely quieter than the stock fan. 10/10

Since I opted to solder the original connector I just cut the Noctua fan leads to the length needed :)

derty
12-01-2013, 08:11 PM

Noob question: what does overclocking mean? D:

Hydrus
12-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Noob question: what does overclocking mean? D:

Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the clock frequency specified by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters (hence the name "overclocking"). Operating voltages may also be changed (increased), which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable. Most overclocking techniques increase power consumption, generating more heat, which must be dispersed if the chip is to remain operational.

Basically it makes the device run faster but at the expense of getting hotter and killing the battery on certain devices, like tablets and phones. It *shouldn't* be a problem on the OUYA since there's a fan to cool things down and it doesn't have a battery either. I haven't touched my OUYA hacking-wise so I don't know for sure how everything will turn out. My OUYA is completely stock.

derty
12-02-2013, 05:36 AM
Basically it makes the device run faster but at the expense of getting hotter and killing the battery on certain devices, like tablets and phones. It *shouldn't* be a problem on the OUYA since there's a fan to cool things down and it doesn't have a battery either. I haven't touched my OUYA hacking-wise so I don't know for sure how everything will turn out. My OUYA is completely stock.

Awesome! Thanx for the info :D
So by overclocking the OUYA, will that in turn make graphics run smoother? Or what would b the benefits of doing this?

flamepanther
12-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Awesome! Thanx for the info :D
So by overclocking the OUYA, will that in turn make graphics run smoother? Or what would b the benefits of doing this?

It ought to improve performance along those lines, but it may or may not be perceptible depending on the game and the degree of overclocking done.

Stage
12-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Does the Noctua NF-A4x10 come with a 2 pin plug, the same as the Ouya fan?
If it does, couldn't I just unscrew the original fan and literally screw in the Noctua and plug the 2 pin plug into the port?
Or is it not as easy as that?

I have just taken apart my ouya and have circled the 2 pin port for clarification.
Thank you

http://i.imgur.com/ul7kfs1.jpg

ipse
12-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Nope, you have to cut the wires and either solder or use the clips that ship with the fan to re-use this mini connector. Not a huge deal, but it just goes to say nothing is standard these days :(

Stage
12-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Nope, you have to cut the wires and either solder or use the clips that ship with the fan to re-use this mini connector. Not a huge deal, but it just goes to say nothing is standard these days :(

Do you know of a step by step guide or video tutorial for this?
I am a complete noob and don't want to mess this up. Thanks.

Eyup Ciftci
12-09-2013, 09:01 AM
On the website of Noctua thet say it comes with a 3-pin to 2-pin adapter. Here is the info

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=47&lng=en&set=2

3 to 2-pin Adaptor and Polarity Protection
The NF-A4x10 comes with an adaptor from 3-pin Molex to the 2-pin connectors used on many graphics cards or network and storage devices. An integrated diode provides polarity protection on 2-pin connections.

Stage
12-09-2013, 10:13 AM
On the website of Noctua thet say it comes with a 3-pin to 2-pin adapter. Here is the info

So could I just use the adapter instead of cutting any wires?

Eyup Ciftci
12-09-2013, 11:51 AM
So could I just use the adapter instead of cutting any wires?

Thats the thing. Everyone says you need to cut wires and stuff but the website of Noctua says it has an adapter. I am as curious as you are...

ipse
12-09-2013, 04:51 PM
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3571-Fan-mod-Ouya/page2 - search is your friend. NO, the 2 pin connector that comes with the Noctua does NOT fit.

Stage
12-09-2013, 06:51 PM
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3571-Fan-mod-Ouya/page2 - search is your friend. NO, the 2 pin connector that comes with the Noctua does NOT fit.

Ok. Looks like I'll be cutting off the end of the original fan and attaching it the new fan.

Michael Thompson
01-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Didn't think much of this mod until I heard my Ouya's fan whirring away after some gaming.
I just ordered the Noctua fan and look forward to my Ouya's first hardware mod!
-probably not the last either. :D
It's just a couple of low voltage wires, kids. Nothing to be afeared of. ;)

(I'm also leaning towards the external WiFi antenna mod as i have all the parts except for the SMD connector.)

I'll post my fan mod when I'm done.

MODS POSTED:

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?9610-Case-Mod-Replace-internal-weights-with-a-bottom-mounted-central-brass-foot

N3-C45
02-11-2014, 07:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/losvergudos/20140210_161623.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/losvergudos/media/20140210_161623.jpg.html)
all you need is a little help from r2d2!

average_male
02-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Beep Beep...

Just a fun fact for all you Star Wars fans: It's commonly thought (incorrectly mind you) that R2D2 communicates via a series of beeps but in fact those beeps were dubbed in to censor the droid's foul language.