PDA

View Full Version : All Google TV Apps should be available on OUYA

AliAla
09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Shouldn't all Google TV apps be made available for OUYA? It would make sense to me. Do you think they will all be available eventually (if not at launch)?

batCrazy
09-13-2012, 07:28 PM
It's possible that all Google TV apps could come to OUYA but each app's developer would have to make them available by changing a few things in the code of their apps.

BlairJ
09-13-2012, 09:09 PM
They have also stated that all apps are accessible (not quite sure how other than rooting) that are presently working on android. Will be interesting to see how things work.

AlanWake
09-18-2012, 03:29 PM
They have also stated that all apps are accessible (not quite sure how other than rooting) that are presently working on android. Will be interesting to see how things work.

Yeah, I would assume the OUYA would need to be rooted in order to download other android apps that aren't available in the OUYA marketplace. However, I would guess that many of these wouldn't work properly unless they are developed specifically for the OUYA as well.

BlairJ
09-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Yes I agree with that. The OUYA is also much more capable than a tablet or a phone simply because it does not have to compensate for the screen and battery which could bring out some really cool new features to our favorite apps as well.

Shadowriver
11-22-2012, 06:13 AM
It's possible that all Google TV apps could come to OUYA but each app's developer would have to make them available by changing a few things in the code of their apps.

Why? If Android API base will be untouched it should work fine without any changes... we talking here about Java :p

Dreamzle
11-22-2012, 07:55 AM
It kinda depends on what you mean by "coming to Ouya". To be in the online Ouya Store, it would need to be built with the Ouya SDK, and would have to be a free download, which not all Google TV apps are. If you installed it by rooting the Ouya, you wouldn't have access to the Ouya Store (it doesn't work if the system is rooted), and if you unrooted the Ouya, that would delete the app.

Also, I'm not sure how Google TV apps work - are they designed to be controlled with a game controller? Because the Ouya has no touchscreen nor IR receiver (though Boxer8 is all about the hacks, and would probably love someone who hacked an IR receiver onto their Ouya).

Shadowriver
11-23-2012, 02:45 PM
It kinda depends on what you mean by "coming to Ouya". To be in the online Ouya Store, it would need to be built with the Ouya SDK, and would have to be a free download, which not all Google TV apps are. If you installed it by rooting the Ouya, you wouldn't have access to the Ouya Store (it doesn't work if the system is rooted), and if you unrooted the Ouya, that would delete the app.

If Ouya still has Android application platfrom (if it is not i think Ouya lost right to be called Android-based, because at that point it becomes different system) and ADB is functioning, or even better ODK is just Android SDK + OUYA extra functions, considering every user console is open for development, you can install any apk file via ADB without root access or else it will be encoded (new Google Play feature annouced in Google IO).

Also, I'm not sure how Google TV apps work - are they designed to be controlled with a game controller? Because the Ouya has no touchscreen nor IR receiver (though Boxer8 is all about the hacks, and would probably love someone who hacked an IR receiver onto their Ouya).

Android originally been made for phones with d-pad and trackball, it has directional keys support since very beginning and lot of app are dpad compatible without even being awere of that or else developer messed something up, install Android SDK and run 4.1 (API Level 16) on emulator and you will see dpad keys there... they still functional :) Google TV use exactly the same API and app don't care where those dpad presses come from... it's not there consorn as app should work everywhere no matter how device is made. But again that all depends if Ouya still has Android application platfrom

Dreamzle
11-23-2012, 05:37 PM
I knew Android supported d-pads and whatnot, I just didn't know that the Google TV apps were designed to use d-pad.

Frankeve
11-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Google would be smart to allow D-pads to work on their TV OS. More and more gaming applications will be coming out for Google TV.

Shadowriver
12-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Google TV is Android it supports same apps, bah you can run your apps made on touch to work then and they will work with mouse ;] so as most TVs have dpads then why not make devlopers life and send dpad signals to those apps so they work out of the bat just need to change UI look for TV

trancen
05-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Anyone know of a site that has those GTV APK's? So that we could atleast sideload it.

john ciaccio
06-03-2013, 03:45 PM
I have a logitech revue. the UI is completely d-pad driven. It has a touch pad but very rarely does it get used. Only for the web browser really. As for the google tv I am sure if you head over to the xda forum for a google tv box (the new arm based ones) you can probably download a rom and pull the apks from there.

MaNiAc-Uk
06-03-2013, 03:59 PM
google tv isn't up to much have had the sony box for 6 months to be fair I never use it unless I get stuck and need to search for actors name or something trivial as no games play well yet cannot even get angry bird to work with it. streaming is ok but still a bit flaky.