PDA

View Full Version : NEO.emu (Neogeo emulator) - Robert Broglia

Eddie K
06-13-2013, 03:44 PM
This thread is for the discussion of NEO.emu. (note to developer - send me a private message if you would like to edit this thread)

Advanced open-source Neogeo emulator based on Gngeo. Before using, please see the guide on my site for initial setup instructions, and make sure to use only MAME-compatible files.No ROMs are included with this app and must be supplied by the user. Load ROM files located on your internal or external USB storage using the in-app file browser (.zip format).

https://www.filepicker.io/api/file/jpohD2rTQI74Yd4eY9Zghttps://www.filepicker.io/api/file/JctMp0QwTgWaQf3mJI7xhttps://www.filepicker.io/api/file/ywrpaLfKTlOYynsgeDEC

RiotingSpectre
06-14-2013, 12:04 AM
What's there to discuss about? King of Monsters 2, bitches! I might just get an OUYA off ebay because of this!

Hostile_17
06-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Sadly i only get a blue screen when i try to load a game! :grumpy:
I put the neogeo.zip file into the roms folder with the games.. pick a game to start, it says 'Loading' for a second, & then.. blue screen!?

Currently looking over google to try to find out where i'm going wrong :onthego:

Cannibalpinhead
06-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Its not working for me too...

Either starting a game puts me in the Ouya-home-screen or the game couldnt loaded...

I dont know whats the problem too... ive got the neogeo.zip and a lot of games... not a single one is running?!

stattotheyid
06-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Its not working for me too...

Either starting a game puts me in the Ouya-home-screen or the game couldnt loaded...

I dont know whats the problem too... ive got the neogeo.zip and a lot of games... not a single one is running?!

Same - tried a bucket load of roms nothing and I mean nothing loads. NeoRAGE plays them all.

czoom
06-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Email the devloper he should know how to get it working. Wish I had my OUYA to test these. June 25th is soon enough.

Rakashazi
06-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Same - tried a bucket load of roms nothing and I mean nothing loads. NeoRAGE plays them all.

Only Neogeo roms from the MAME set are compatible, most Neorage sets don't work. If you're getting an error or blue screen with any game listed on my compatibility list (http://www.explusalpha.com/home/neo-emu) as working, then you need to replace your game's .zip with the equivalent MAME one.

czoom
06-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Seems like Google has a lot of crap Bios files. when you search neogeo.zip. Anyways make sure your neogeo.zip bios is around 1.5mb not no 133KB bs.
Like Rakashazi said make sure you download the roms from Mame section of websites and check compatibility lists. So example download "Metal Slug" from the MAME rom section. I dont have my OUYA yet but this seems easy as I have messed with MAME on PC a lot of times.

Try the link below, This is a complete neogeo.zip Bios Pack. BIOS packs small in size (Less than 1MB), probably don't have the required files in them.

http://rghost.net/2341022

Here what NEO.EMU needs in the Bios file (neogeo.zip)

Needed BIOS Files (number in parentheses is CRC-32): If you wish to remove unused files in your neogeo.zip, these are the exact files currently needed by NEO.emu

000-lo.lo (0x5a86cff2)
sfix.sfix (0xc2ea0cfd)
For Universe BIOS mode: uni-bios_2_3.rom (0x27664eb5)
For MVS Japan mode : vs-bios.rom (0xf0e8f27d)
For MVS USA mode : usa_2slt.bin (0xe72943de)
For MVS Asia mode :asia-s3.rom (0x91b64be3)
For MVS Europe mode : sp-s2.sp1 (0x9036d879)

stattotheyid
06-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Only Neogeo roms from the MAME set are compatible, most Neorage sets don't work. If you're getting an error or blue screen with any game listed on my compatibility list (http://www.explusalpha.com/home/neo-emu) as working, then you need to replace your game's .zip with the equivalent MAME one.

I have 17Gb of MAME to wade through :(

Gamesboro
06-16-2013, 03:13 AM
We made a video to show how to get it up and running. We also put instructions on how to optimize the settings. Hope this helps guys!

http://youtu.be/9aQaUNDhSOA

RiotingSpectre
06-16-2013, 03:47 AM
We made a video to show how to get it up and running. We also put instructions on how to optimize the settings. Hope this helps guys!

Great job, Gamesboro. This is extremely helpful :D

Hostile_17
06-16-2013, 11:59 AM

Yup.. that's what i was doing wrong!!

I had the correct bios in the folder, but i was using Neo Geo roms.. not MAME Neo Geo roms!?

Just tried Garou: Mark of the Wolves, & it worked fine.

Thanks for the help. Also czoom & Gamesboro. :star:

MaNiAc-Uk
06-17-2013, 12:59 PM
cool got the complete rom set have the original carts all in my attic all 150 of them lol and full size arcade machine to play them on but im sure they will look good on my 55" screen come on ouya gimmi my console.

Hanneskitz
06-17-2013, 02:01 PM

Can you please make an Howto in this section? http://ouyaforum.com/forumdisplay.php?58-OUYA-Guides

Daddygamer
06-17-2013, 06:59 PM

http://youtu.be/9aQaUNDhSOA

Nice video and tips, Gamesboro. I didn't do any of the unibios extracting you mentioned but my Neo emu still worked. I just placed the neogeo zip in the rom directory with the zip games and it worked. HUGE THANKS to Robert for making this emulator. Man! I forgot how fun these Neo Geo fighting games are.

rushmore
06-17-2013, 07:24 PM
cool got the complete rom set have the original carts all in my attic all 150 of them lol and full size arcade machine to play them on but im sure they will look good on my 55" screen come on ouya gimmi my console.

Ironic. One cartridge is the same volume footprint of the Ouya.

Actually, a Neo Geo cart is bigger.

alo
06-17-2013, 08:10 PM
I guess AES cartridges would be the biggest consumer videogame cartridges ever. I have a few MVS cartridges, they're satisfyingly chunky.

Gamesboro
06-18-2013, 03:59 AM
The unibios does some extra stuff, like choosing region and aes/MVS mode. It just gives more options if you want to experiment with it.

godfather4
06-29-2013, 12:37 AM
hey guys...im sorry but im still not getting it...ive posted in another thread...I have confirmed my neogeo.zip is complete and has what it needs based on what you guys wrote...i have gone to the mame section of web sites and found MAME neo geo rome that are on the compatibility set...and still my screen just loads right back to ouya home screen ...it trys to load and goes right back to ouya...im so frustrated ive been working on this for 2 days...what am i doing wrong ???

JCat
06-29-2013, 12:56 AM
Excellent guide - just thanked you on youtube, too! :applause:

KiLLaHo322
06-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Hey guys! Have you guys tried games on neo.emu? They look awesome and run extemely smooth! I prefer it over most of the others; however, I'm having trouble finding roms that actually work. I currently have three that work that I downloaded from coolrom.com in the mame section. I've tried plenty of others from this section and from the neo geo section but I just can't find ones that always work. Does anyone know of any good websites? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? Idk I'd appreciate any help!

WazMeister
06-29-2013, 10:32 AM
What is the neo Geo roms, are they MAME?

Unit543
06-29-2013, 12:37 PM
neo geo roms are not working for me.

MGFanJay
06-30-2013, 02:37 AM
Gotta get MAME games for this emu. I did that earlier today and found that most worked just fine - although 3 Count Bout kept resetting for me.

ebe
06-30-2013, 01:10 PM
This thing is garbage, if it was so easy to put games on it for the emus, why is everyone having problems. Not to mention know one will tell you how to do it - waste of a 100 bucks

Danton
07-03-2013, 08:35 PM
I downloaded neogeo.zip and tried it with Metal Slug 1, 2, 3, and X. But the only thing I get is a blue screen.

I tried another version of Metal Slug 2 and it worked, but I don't know what version it is.
Does anyone know which versions work? 0.144 through 0.149?

Spencer Montagu
07-05-2013, 01:26 AM
I've managed to get games to run on the NEO.emu, but I was wondering if anyone has found a way to get OUYA button profiles/screen settings to save?

Hogosha
07-05-2013, 05:46 PM
I know this is kind of a greedy request, but as I don't have an Ouya and am weighing the pros/cons of the system before deciding on buying one I'm kind of depending on others at this point.

Can someone let me know if, one, Windjammers works on this emulator (pretty positive there's a MAME one), two, if it runs at full speed with music in 1P vs 2P mode, and three, if XB360 controllers work with this emulator?

Please, and thank you. :)

RiotingSpectre
07-05-2013, 10:29 PM
I've been having a blast, but due to the fact that some games are still unsupported due to this being a imperfect(but still beautiful) emulator. You're going to encounter problems. I'm getting blue screen on Metal Slug 5 and King of Fighter 2003, but messing with the MVS/AES, and Unibios setting will probably rectify it. If you have problems then please refer to this video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQaUNDhSOA) It's what I used to set up the entire emulator and I'm(again...) having a blast.

T2KFreeker
07-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Seems the only real trouble I am having is with getting Samurai Shodown V, SVC Chaos and Garou Mark of the Wolves running. Oh, and of all the games, Puzzle Bobble (?). Are these three games not compatible, or am I just finding Junk ROMS? I have tried amny places to get the ROMS and thus far have found none that actually work. Every other game I have thrown at it wirks. Might need to look in a few different places to get a full set, but they are out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

nug
07-22-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm a huge neo geo fan and this emulator has me really excited. Does anyone have a current count for what games work?

Thanks

michaelrp67
07-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Works perfect for me. I have the entire rom set and everything works flawless. From 2022 to Zupapa. Configure your buttons and have fun!

The settings save and are remembered forever which is the way things should be in an emulator, but I digress.

Hogosha
07-22-2013, 07:00 PM
I was stoked when Rage of the Dragons started up...then I cried a bit when I saw that the life bars and super meters are invisible. :(

xmenreturns
07-23-2013, 12:53 AM
After some research it works fine for me and I am enjoying Neo Geo games on OUYA. We just have to make sure - 1) We need unibios 2.3
2) We need specific roms which works and has relevant files to load - For example if rom gives you an error like "090-c1.bin missing or some other file missing" try to search file in google, you will definately get the working rom. Thats how I have downloaded more 10 roms which are working fine for me in OUYA

treismac
07-30-2013, 01:34 AM
To anyone struggling to get Neo.emu working here is how I got the emulator to work:

Follow the instructions on the programmer's website:
[ex: 1)create a folder, 2) put neogeo.zip unzipped in there, 3) put acceptable M.A.M.E. Neo Geo rom zip folders unzipped in it, 4) load games, 5) have fun]

*swoosh*

I download neogeo.zip from:

*pow*

I downloaded the roms (ones that are on the programmer's website's "okay" list) from Google:

*kaboom*

I hope this helps!

No ROM links allowed, bruh.

-- o MELTDOWN o

mancity
07-30-2013, 03:30 PM
It's a massive shame that not all of the Metal Slug games work on this emulator! :(

Iv'e also noticed there's quite abit of slowdown in quite a few games. Hopefully an updated emulator will be released later down the line...

Also, all of these Ouya games costing money, yet the emulators from Robert Broglia (which I spend most of my Ouya time on), are free. The guy should charge a small fee. I would definitely pay.

rushmore
08-02-2013, 04:09 AM
I own all his emulators but that one. There is an app free in Play market called Retroarc and AFBA can be found at XDA. They all play most Neo Geo games and play them all smoothly on much weaker chips than the Tegra 3. Ditto for MAME Reloaded 139. It plays all Neo Geo games and played them all smooth on the single core HTC Flyer. Seriously.

Broglia has a perfect track record, so would be surprised he borked a mature and proven emulator platform. Weird.

Baltazar
11-16-2013, 05:43 PM
All the roms works for me that has a .nv file to it but all doesn't have that. How do I create a .nv-file for the other .zip rom files?

I guess that the roms that do work creates the .nv files itself?

Javier Arias
11-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Has anyone been able to run latest games (Metal Slug 5, Samurai Shodown 5, KOF 2003) which roms and bios are you using? thanks!

Cyberwoo77
01-08-2014, 10:44 PM
Hi there, I'm completely new to the OUYA and not as techy as I thought, I'm having problems downloading the roms and getting them to work and not really sure if I'm doing it right. I appreciate it might be a bit of a ball ache but would really appreciate it if you could provide a step by step (beginning to the end) tutorial. Thanks in advance :)

TheJesBro
01-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Having trouble with this (as it seems everybody does). Need some help trouble shooting:

If my region select is working in the app menu, does that mean that my BIOS is working? I unzipped file "uni-bios-23" to the roms folder

RiotingSpectre
01-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Having trouble with this (as it seems everybody does). Need some help trouble shooting:

If my region select is working in the app menu, does that mean that my BIOS is working? I unzipped file "uni-bios-23" to the roms folder

No it doesn't automatically mean it's working. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQaUNDhSOA) the guide nearly all of us (now) experts used. If the BIOS part of the guide is confusing then contact me via private message and I'll help you further.

TheJesBro
01-23-2014, 02:51 PM
No it doesn't automatically mean it's working. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQaUNDhSOA) the guide nearly all of us (now) experts used. If the BIOS part of the guide is confusing then contact me via private message and I'll help you further.

Thanks for the help. I ended up watching the video probably a dozen times and had to do some guessing, but I finally got it working. IT WAS WELL WORTH THE WORK! Great emulator!

I was thinking that it would be helpful to post a picture of the necessary files in a folder (without roms). Would that be illegal in any way? Also, could I post a link to the free bios download?

RiotingSpectre
01-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the help. I ended up watching the video probably a dozen times and had to do some guessing, but I finally got it working. IT WAS WELL WORTH THE WORK! Great emulator!

I was thinking that it would be helpful to post a picture of the necessary files in a folder (without roms). Would that be illegal in any way? Also, could I post a link to the free bios download?

Sorry, but that's illegal. Perhaps I'll make a step-by-step guide to accommodate things as this emulator is unique when compared to the others.

rhester72
01-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Why would that be illegal? The required filenames, including CRC-32 checksums, are contained within a ZIP file within the APK itself, and thus all users already have it (albeit not in easy-to-decode form, being binary). I wrote a small app to decode them and it would be trivial to at least present a list of every required file for every game, including its checksum, without violating any IP laws at all. This would not be permitted? (It's worth noting that the NEO.emu set does not match _any_ single release of MAME or Final Burn Alpha ever - it's a hodge-podge of older and newer releases, favoring updated/redumped ROMs but with the old MAME naming conventions. There are also two glaring errors in the DAT files, duplicating the ROM sets for two games unintentionally.)

Rodney

RiotingSpectre
01-31-2014, 10:06 PM
Must have forgotten about this. Staff had concluded that this is alright, but are worried that it can get worse if left unchecked so please refrain from doing things you know wouldn't be alright. If you have doubts then do what TheJesBro did which was to make sure what he wanted to post about was not rule-breaking.

rhester72
02-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Having cleared this with the admins, a complete list of every ROM required for every game supported by the current version of NEO.emu, including CRC-32, can be found at:

http://multics.minidns.net/NEOemu-0_5_14-romlist.txt

This was extracted from the data contained within the package itself.

A few points of note:

- There are 240 games supported in total
- kf2k3pcb, ms5pcb, and svcpcb all have a parent of "0". It is supposed to mean "no parent", but NEO.emu takes it quite literally and complains that 0.zip isn't found. Copying neogeo.zip to 0.zip will fix this, though none of them are playable anyway.
- mslug3n and mslug3h have identical ROM sets per NEO.emu, this is a bug (mslug3n calls itself mslug3h, the ROM data for mslug3n is not present in NEO.emu)
- wh2j and wh2jh have identical ROM sets per NEO.emu, this is also a bug (the sets are named correctly but the ROM lists are the same, wh2j is correct)

Have fun!

Rodney

TheJesBro
02-12-2014, 01:43 PM
I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a reason why games that are post-2002-03 don't work? I'm really just curious at this point... I will do some research with Rodney's post when I get home for this too.

2. Has anybody gotten a controller to work with an 8-direction pad or a stick? Some games use a diagonal direction and the D-pad doesnt work.

Thanks in advance!

OuOk
02-12-2014, 01:51 PM
I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a reason why games that are post-2002-03 don't work? I'm really just curious at this point... I will do some research with Rodney's post when I get home for this too.

2. Has anybody gotten a controller to work with an 8-direction pad or a stick? Some games use a diagonal direction and the D-pad doesnt work.

Thanks in advance!

I don't really know why 2002-2003 games don't work but they don't for me also so you're not the only one.. For the controllers I ordered a Neo-Geo X controller and it works great.. You can also purchase what is called NEO GEO Daptor which you plug in a regular AES controller and then use a usb cable to play it on your ouya..

Ron Morris
02-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Is there a preferred romset for this emulator? None of the Neo*Geo games I have work, the emulator does not run them at all, even though I have the BIOS file.

rhester72
02-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Is there a preferred romset for this emulator? None of the Neo*Geo games I have work, the emulator does not run them at all, even though I have the BIOS file.

Look up 4 posts.

Rodney

Michael Brett
02-18-2014, 01:59 AM
OK, so I did everything in the video, and I can get 70% of my games to work. The games I cannot get to work (either blue screen or ERROR Z80) are Last Blade, Magician Lord, Nam 1975, & Super Sidekicks. I checked Last Blade zip with the list posted a few weeks ago. It contains all the right bins. If anyone knows why this could be occurring, has a work around, or just likes handing grateful people unicorns, please PM me. Or reply here.

Thanks!
Mike

Cannibalpinhead
03-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Most of my ROMS arent working either...

As I understand it this is a list of working ROMs... but I dont understand how to read it.... can someone tell me how to use this list to find working ROMs?

Having cleared this with the admins, a complete list of every ROM required for every game supported by the current version of NEO.emu, including CRC-32, can be found at:

http://multics.minidns.net/NEOemu-0_5_14-romlist.txt

Blasteroid
04-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Name: 2020bba <-- this is the name of the zip file.
Parent: 2020bb <-- this is the name of the parent zip file (contains stuff the child zip "2020bba" needs to work). with some emus you can just pack everything into one zip.
Longname: 2020 Super Baseball (set 2) <-- this is the name of the game and what "child" set it is from.
Year: 1991 <-- year game was released
Number of ROMs: 9 <-- number of files in the "2020bba" zip.

030-epr.p1 524288 c59be3dd <-- read this as "file name" -- "file size" -- "file CRC value"
030-s1.bin 131072 7015b8fc
030-m1.bin 131072 4cf466ec
030-v1.bin 1048576 d4ca364e
030-v2.bin 1048576 54994455
030-c1.bin 1048576 4f5e19bd
030-c2.bin 1048576 d6314bf0
030-c3.bin 1048576 47fddfee
030-c4.bin 1048576 780d1c4e

your zip will need to contain the correct files, of the correct size, with the correct crc values.

the only bios file worth using is the universe bios. google it and then add it to your neogeo.zip.

as the mame emu is updated so are its supported files. if you go looking for roms from a newer set they may contain different files inside of the zip. the best bet would be to find out what mame set this emu pulls from for support and then to find those specific roms or to build a "good set" using the application clr mame pro.

the easiest thing i can suggest is to grab the zip and then open it. you should be able to see the name, size, and crc value form within 7z, WinRAR, WinZip, etc. just compare what you see to what is in the list until you find a working file.

Cannibalpinhead
04-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks a lot! :)

Javier Arias
08-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Hi everybody,

I wasn't able to run the latest Neo-geo games (such as kof 2003, Samurai Shodown , etc) on OUYA. Am I trying the wrong Roms? Was anybody able to play them?

Thanks!

hashbrew
08-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Dude U need to find the most recent neo geo bios, some contain more info than others, same can be said for mame.Google this. Id also recommend using mame not neo geo emu to run games.

Javier Arias
08-23-2014, 04:16 AM
Thanks! I'll try with Mame!

hothmonster
08-25-2014, 11:05 PM
I find the neo.emu app is far easier to run than mame. The games mentioned run well on my ouya so I might be your ROMs or .zip file.

Do you have metal slug x? I'm having pretty bad game slowdown at the boss levels...

Javier Arias
08-26-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't, I've tried metal slug 2 and 3, these work fine for me :)