PDA

View Full Version : Hacking the ouya to emulate?

jessejames182
06-11-2013, 08:17 PM
I know that the OUYA is supposed to be open to hack, and already it's making most of it's money back through it's own emulators, but I have a goal of being able to emulate up to the playstation 2 and gamecube. I don't want to be illegal about it, I want to be able to buy game from local shops copy down the discs on a computer and then load them to play on my OUYA. Has anyone done anything like this themselves or know of a similar scenario?

Masaaki
06-11-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure the OUYA is powerful enough for those. If the games were natively ported they would run just fine, but emulation is a whole different matter. It requires a lot more power than the original target machine in order to emulate said machine. Someone already tried Dolphin emulation and it was way too slow.

James Andrew Coote
06-11-2013, 08:28 PM
It will probably be beyond OUYA's ability to emulate PS2 and Gamecube (might be possible, but that's really pushing it). Reason being that it just takes up too much processing power to do the job of emulating the hardware, before you even consider actually running the game's graphics etc themselves

jessejames182
06-11-2013, 08:38 PM
How would I go about native porting a title? Also what about a hardware mod, possibly getting a gamecube motherboard in on it?

JCPRuckus
06-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Everything everyone else said. If you honestly intend to by the disks anyway, you may as just buy a used GameCube and PS2. It won't be as nice as having one box emulation, but you can emulate everything else on your OUYA and only have 3 boxes. That's not terrible.

jessejames182
06-11-2013, 08:45 PM
That is my main goal, having one massive game library on one machine, just wondering if it was possible to do it on the ouya.

RiotingSpectre
06-11-2013, 08:46 PM
That is my main goal, having one massive game library on one machine, just wondering if it was possible to do it on the ouya.

Well if it's a all in one machine you're looking for, then there's nothin' better than a good ol' fashion computer.

JCPRuckus
06-11-2013, 08:46 PM
How would I go about native porting a title?

Have access to the original source code, a.k.a., work for the original developer.

Also what about a hardware mod, possibly getting a gamecube motherboard in on it?

Whatever you're thinking... No...

Wait about 2 or 3 years and a Tegra5 or 6 (or equivalent) based box might be able to do what you want. Until then, no dice.

jessejames182
06-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Well if it's a all in one machine you're looking for, then there's nothin' better than a good ol' fashion computer.

I am planning on getting the new Alienware 14, guess that'll have to do.

RiotingSpectre
06-11-2013, 08:49 PM
I am planning on getting the new Alienware 14, guess that'll have to do.

Yep. That will work just fine.

jessejames182
06-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Have access to the original source code, a.k.a., work for the original developer.

Whatever you're thinking... No...

Wait about 2 or 3 years and a Tegra5 or 6 (or equivalent) based box might be able to do what you want. Until then, no dice.

I'm just saying, if they're gonna offer me a 100$ game system open to mods, then I'll put in the work to mod the hell out of it.

JCPRuckus
06-11-2013, 08:53 PM

I was hoping for exactly what you're asking too. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen just yet. You'll just have to settle for a slightly less massive collection than you'd hoped if you pick up an OUYA.

I know... Not living in the future sucks... But what're you gonna do?... Cryogenically freeze yourself for 5 years?... That's crazy... You're crazy... Lol

jessejames182
06-11-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm saying look what he does over at http://benheck.com/. I'm an engineer, I should be able to do something close to that...

jessejames182
06-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I was hoping for exactly what you're asking too. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen just yet. You'll just have to settle for a slightly less massive collection than you'd hoped if you pick up an OUYA.

I know... Not living in the future sucks... But what're you gonna do?... Cryogenically freeze yourself for 5 years?... That's crazy... You're crazy... Lol

Where we're going we don't need consoles...

JCPRuckus
06-11-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm just saying, if they're gonna offer me a 100$ game system open to mods, then I'll put in the work to mod the hell out of it.

Okay, but you can't just graft a NGC board to an OUYA board and solve the problem.

What you might be able to do if you're really, really good at this stuff is put an OUYA motherboard, a mod-chipped PS2 motherboard, and a (possibly modded) NGC motherboard all in a nice box (or a less nice one if you don't deserve the bold "really") and get them to read off of a couple different HDDs. You'd still need 3 separate hookups to your TV, but it might be doable. But you're never going to get the clean solution you're looking for out of an OUYA. You either need to use a PC, or just be happy with up to N64, and maybe DC eventually.

I'm saying look what he does over at http://benheck.com/. I'm an engineer, I should be able to do something close to that...

I was considering saying "... maybe if you're Ben Heck you could...". That guy is amazing, but there's limits to what you can accomplish with a soldering iron.

Also, I'm gonna move this to the Modding forum, because... Well... That's were it belongs at this point.

jessejames182
06-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Okay, but you can't just graft a NGC board to an OUYA board and solve the problem.

What you might be able to do if you're really, really good at this stuff is put an OUYA motherboard, a mod-chipped PS2 motherboard, and a (possibly modded) NGC motherboard all in a nice box (or a less nice one if you don't deserve the bold "really") and get them to read off of a couple different HDDs. You'd still need 3 separate hookups to your TV, but it might be doable. But you're never going to get the clean solution you're looking for out of an OUYA. You either need to use a PC, or just be happy with up to N64, and maybe DC eventually.

Here's what i propose, a separate box that connects to the ouya box so that I don't have to remove the ouya from it's neat little shell and find a way to get the ouya to at least start up the games library from said separate box with the HDDs to hold the library. Aren't you tired of seeing people doing cool stuff on the internet, don't you want to be the people with cool stuff on the internet just this once...

LightyKD
06-11-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm sure the Ouya could handle certain PS2, GameCube and Wii games but the emulators will need some optimizations. I just watched a nifty video of someone playing "New Super Mario Bros: Wii" at a fair frame rate from their Galaxy S3. I'm surprised that nobody with a Ouya has given dolphin a spin yet. The two games that should be tested first are Smash Bros:Melee and Pikmin. Even those two games can run well on a crappy PC. I mean 1GHz, 1 gig of ram, single core and intel 945gm crappy.

JCPRuckus
06-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Here's what i propose, a separate box that connects to the ouya box so that I don't have to remove the ouya from it's neat little shell and find a way to get the ouya to at least start up the games library from said separate box with the HDDs to hold the library. Aren't you tired of seeing people doing cool stuff on the internet, don't you want to be the people with cool stuff on the internet just this once...

I'm not either an electrical or computer engineer, so let me not say that what you want is impossible. But if you can come up with something clean, you should consider selling it in limited numbers for lots of money Ben Heck style.

Honestly, for a hack of this scope and magnitude, you might want to shoot him an email, or tweet, or something and see what he'll give you some feedback. I'm pretty sure you should consider designing your own console if you can pull this off.

I'm sure the Ouya could handle certain PS2, GameCube and Wii games but the emulators will need some optimizations. I just watched a nifty video of someone playing "New Super Mario Bros: Wii" at a fair frame rate from their Galaxy S3. I'm surprised that nobody with a Ouya has given dolphin a spin yet. The two games that should be tested first are Smash Bros:Melee and Pikmin. Even those two games can run well on a crappy PC. I mean 1GHz, 1 gig of ram, single core and intel 945gm crappy.

I think NGC and Wii should actually be simpler to emulate than PS2. I believe they both had one big combined CPU/GPU while PS2 had at least 2 non-symmetrical GPUs alongside it's CPU. The issue isn't the processing power to run the games. OUYA's got that and then some. The issue is the processing power needed to make the game think you've got the right hardware. Until someone who's developed an emulator before says, "I think it may be possible," I'm going to suggest that you don't get your hopes up.

jessejames182
06-11-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm not either an electrical or computer engineer, so let me not say that what you want is impossible. But if you can come up with something clean, you should consider selling it in limited numbers for lots of money Ben Heck style.

Honestly, for a hack of this scope and magnitude, you might want to shoot him an email, or tweet, or something and see what he'll give you some feedback. I'm pretty sure you should consider designing your own console if you can pull this off.

I think NGC and Wii should actually be simpler to emulate than PS2. I believe they both had one big combined CPU/GPU while PS2 had at least 2 non-symmetrical GPUs alongside it's CPU. The issue isn't the processing power to run the games. OUYA's got that and then some. The issue is the processing power needed to make the game think you've got the right hardware. Until someone who's developed an emulator before says, "I think it may be possible," I'm going to suggest that you don't get your hopes up.

Already emailed Mr. Heck. Plus I got a good electrical engineer buddy to help me out. The money, eh, but the project, and the goal, there's the reward.

ravionus
06-25-2013, 08:18 PM
if the game streams from somewhere else it can play anything http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fZQGuVHyAE this is the OUYA playing borderlands 2 with help from NVIDIA