PDA

View Full Version : Will we be able to build our own OUYA Console?

RinseIT
09-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Talking about hacks, how about making our own OUYA console? I was reading a post on Reddit, which I found pretty interesting. Someone brought up this subject. Isn't it conceivable that we could simply download the OUYA software, and install it on a console that we build ourselves? I'm pretty sure OUYA wouldn't mind this either, since they probably aren't making a profit off selling the consoles. Their profit comes from game and app sales. What are your thoughts? Could we build an OUYA game console that is ever more powerful than the one that OUYA sells?

Olofson
09-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Whether officially endorsed or not, building anything that isn't practically identical to the original opens up the same can of worms we've had on the PC all the time: not two machines are the same. One of the key advantages of developing for a specific target device is that you can optimize and tune carefully to maintain consistent, high frame rates without simply leaving some 50% margin or so. This is part of the reason why consoles have any chance of "matching" PCs at all, despite generally much weaker hardware. On PC and similar, all you can realistically do is restrict yourself to some 50% of the power of some arbitrary "minimal system requirements" machine, avoid any nice features that aren't "widely supported," and hope for the best. (Or, have five million video options that 90% of your players have no clue what to do with.)

I suppose it's fine as long as people modify specifications at their own risk, and developers basically ignore the existence of anything but the official console. That's what I'd do anyway! Just supporting the PC "platform" at all is quite enough of that mess already; three major OSes, all sorts of CPUs, countless different 3D chipsets, drivers and system configurations broken in all sorts of strange ways etc... :friendly_wink:

AdyCarter
09-02-2012, 02:07 PM
What are your thoughts? Could we build an OUYA game console that is ever more powerful than the one that OUYA sells?

Hypothetically yes, in reality, its going to cost you.

Asus TFPrime/Infinity is way more powerful than an Ouya, you could probably manage to get the Ouya software on that and run Ouya titles.

Point is though, whats the point, you'd be paying 500% more for a device that probably won't run the games any faster as they're clearly going to be optimised for the baseline Ouya hardware.

SlingShot
09-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Hypothetically yes, in reality, its going to cost you.

Asus TFPrime/Infinity is way more powerful than an Ouya, you could probably manage to get the Ouya software on that and run Ouya titles.

Point is though, whats the point, you'd be paying 500% more for a device that probably won't run the games any faster as they're clearly going to be optimised for the baseline Ouya hardware.

Very good point!

philandy
09-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Talking about hacks, how about making our own OUYA console? I was reading a post on Reddit, which I found pretty interesting. Someone brought up this subject. Isn't it conceivable that we could simply download the OUYA software, and install it on a console that we build ourselves? I'm pretty sure OUYA wouldn't mind this either, since they probably aren't making a profit off selling the consoles. Their profit comes from game and app sales. What are your thoughts? Could we build an OUYA game console that is ever more powerful than the one that OUYA sells?
Well, you could build a competitor. I wouldn't mind having a choice between 2 well-designed hackable consoles.

Purkinje
09-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Well, you could build a competitor. I wouldn't mind having a choice between 2 well-designed hackable consoles.

"Hackable consoles" got me thinking. I've read rumblings of a desktop version of Android. (http://www.zdnet.com/desktop-android-multi-user-android-support-is-on-its-way-7000002143/). My idea is that you could install the desktop flavor of Android on your gaming PC (assuming you had Bluetooth), get the Ouya store and menu installed, and there you have it.

SamJ
09-03-2012, 09:01 AM
You can and I have run Android OS emulators on my PC for developing apps. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with the OUYA flavor of Android. But as pointed out earlier the software will be optimized for the OUTA console and you may or may not see improved performance. And you won't be in the lounge on the big TV and isn't that the whole idea of the OUYA?

Olofson
09-03-2012, 12:59 PM
"Hackable consoles" got me thinking. I've read rumblings of a desktop version of Android. (http://www.zdnet.com/desktop-android-multi-user-android-support-is-on-its-way-7000002143/). My idea is that you could install the desktop flavor of Android on your gaming PC (assuming you had Bluetooth), get the Ouya store and menu installed, and there you have it.
Wrong CPU, unfortunately - and I'd assume many OUYA games would use native code...? Then again, CPU emulation has come a long way, so as long as you have a reasonably fast CPU, it should be doable with QEMU or similar.

AlanWake
09-04-2012, 06:25 PM
I just don't see it being worth it to bother with. At $99, OUYA is extremely affordable. Why even try and mess with making your own?

Josh Stanley
10-25-2012, 08:12 PM
While i'm sure there is very little profit for ouya on console sales, moreso on apps, I (as a musician!) would liken it to album sales for an artist. Even though their money is made on touring and merch sales, none of that happens without a good showing on CD sales. Where they go (and if they even continue to go at all!) relies on sales statistics. Similarly, I'd bet sales numbers on the ouya console will play just as heavily into whether support for it continues. Building one for fun is fine, but make sure to buy an ouya console for yourself if it's something you like and want to see more of!

Shadowriver
11-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Could we build an OUYA game console that is ever more powerful than the one that OUYA sells?

It's pointless. Developers will make game optimized to one hardware and hacking community will be small same as all device hacking communities are to make developers interest in.

Not to mention there is not much option on making ARM hardware at home :p and x86 is out of the quastion , you might run it on x86 but games for OUYA won't work or else all games will be open-sourced and oyu might try to recompile them to x86..... or else we speak about Java games like Minecraft :p