PDA

View Full Version : Why Root?

XanXic
06-09-2013, 11:50 PM
So I feel like this is where to post this thread but not 100% on that.

I'm familiar with hacking consoles but I have no experience with Android or iOS devices. I like my phone cheap and functional :P So I get the rooting lets you get past the limitations put on your device, and I see how that's useful on a phone. I just don't see how it would be useful on Ouya other than changing the OS. From what I can tell it can do anything you want it if you are willing to side load the apk's and it seems that any trouble it has with those isn't from the device saying no but from incompatibility.

So I'm curious why root? If it can already run any compatible apk's you load onto it, I don't know if pirated android apps work though. So would the only point being changing the OS and playing pirated apps? They seem pretty open with the console already so I just don't see the point on it when you can always make your own app or find one to do what you want.

The hacking the console thread seems more vague and about pirating so I wanted a more specific topic of my own.

Ty Collum
06-09-2013, 11:55 PM
The benefit for me is to use apps that require explicit root access, like Titanium Backup.

tennisbgc
06-10-2013, 01:50 AM
same here. there are a bunch of apps that require root access.

Wolverine-_-_-
06-10-2013, 03:54 AM
Specifically the advantage to installing superuser for me was batch install and uninstall of sideload apps. I also used titanium backup and ES file explorer to make full backups w/ data from my rooted galaxy tab 2 and then used those to install on OUYA. I hope that is more helpful then it lets me use a bunch of apps. Unless you have a specific reason to access root on the OUYA right now, I recommend waiting a week or two while the process gets a little more streamlined. Right now you need to redo it after every update as well.

Down the road, accessing root will allow install of custom roms under development that will allow greater functionality and customization.

Maybe someone else can tell you some of the other specific advantages to root.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

macharborguy
06-10-2013, 04:40 AM
Specifically the advantage to installing superuser for me was batch install and uninstall of sideload apps. I also used titanium backup and ES file explorer to make full backups w/ data from my rooted galaxy tab 2 and then used those to install on OUYA. I hope that is more helpful then it lets me use a bunch of apps. Unless you have a specific reason to access root on the OUYA right now, I recommend waiting a week or two while the process gets a little more streamlined. Right now you need to redo it after every update as well.

Down the road, accessing root will allow install of custom roms under development that will allow greater functionality and customization.

Maybe someone else can tell you some of the other specific advantages to root.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I wonder whatever happened to that "Root Button" that was supposed to be on top of the OUYA.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/16/yves-behar-interview

Designing a console controller is very much an art -- how are you approaching it?
I am keeping it as clean as possible, with the open idea that anyone can hack the console, so we made a root button on top, and a simple way to remove the top cover.

Hydrus
06-10-2013, 04:52 AM
A root button would be useful for those that know what to do with it. Some people might wonder what it is and will press it, yet still wonder what it does.

Wolverine-_-_-
06-10-2013, 07:16 AM
What the hell would a "root button" do? The OUYA has root access already.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

pete123
06-10-2013, 08:30 AM
What the hell would a "root button" do? The OUYA has root access already.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

And you'd be paying for them to put a button on your console which you'd either press once or never.

lovekeiiy
06-18-2013, 06:57 PM
You don't have to root the Ouya. It comes with Root access.

There's no easy bootloader or recovery mode access. This is what people want. This is so people do custom firmware, more easily add mods, so forth.

On mobile devices that were more used to, we're not given access to the root directly, so we're not able to access key directories so apps like TB, BusyBox, SU, and so forth can work.

Root is not needed to pirate on game onto the Ouya. Maybe for some games to get off of other devices.

I hate to sound mean, but a general search on rooting what it is will help in this understanding.