PDA

View Full Version : Hacking the console - Whats the implications? MORE QUESTIONS NEED TO BE ANSWERED

Aahdimaw
06-09-2013, 04:51 PM
So I am going to get an ouya, but i was wondering of the implications of this and other questions

What cant we do if we root it.
If we root it, would it be possible to get free, paid games, like torrenting
Has anyone here rooted it, if they have what tutorials did they follow, and what did you do to customize your ouya

Thanks guys!!!

markimus
06-09-2013, 05:06 PM
2. Why would you not want to support developers?

RiotingSpectre
06-09-2013, 05:11 PM
So I am going to get an ouya, but i was wondering of the implications of this and other questions

Has anyone here rooted it, if they have what tutorials did they follow, and what did you do to customize your ouya

1. Can't answer this one.
2. We can essentially do that already.
3. Pre-rooted console are the only ones that are rooted. Having one that isn't and wanting to root it, is extremely dangerous. No tutorials yet.

alo
06-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Three very loaded questions. Look, it's not difficult to pirate games, but don't be a dick, pay a few bucks to the people who spent the time on your entertainment. Some games are donation-based so you don't even need to pay for them if you're that tight up.

RiotingSpectre
06-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Three very loaded questions. Look, it's not difficult to pirate games, but don't be a dick, pay a few bucks to the people who spent the time on your entertainment. Some games are donation-based so you don't even need to pay for them if you're that tight up.

Meh... I've been completely desensitized by the whole pirating thing. Excluding some anime, and a shit-ton of music. I haven't pirated games, movies, or anything else. The only thing me and you can do is keep supporting our developers with our phat-stacks.

alo
06-09-2013, 07:15 PM
You know, when I see people pirating a $60 videogame I can kind of understand, a lot of people don't have that kind of money spare and I'd like to think that most of the people who are pirating it would pay it if they could afford to. When it comes to these $1 Android games, though, where you hear the devs put in a little phone-home just to see how many copies are in the wild and it turns out that there's ten times more copies being played than were paid for... I don't know. That just seems petty. Some of those people are living in countries where they don't have access to the store for one reason or another, some of them are ~13 years old and don't have the means, but some of them are people who could easily afford to pay but just choose not to, out of... spite? I don't get it.

RiotingSpectre
06-09-2013, 07:29 PM
You know, when I see people pirating a $60 videogame I can kind of understand, a lot of people don't have that kind of money spare and I'd like to think that most of the people who are pirating it would pay it if they could afford to. When it comes to these $1 Android games, though, where you hear the devs put in a little phone-home just to see how many copies are in the wild and it turns out that there's ten times more copies being played than were paid for... I don't know. That just seems petty. Some of those people are living in countries where they don't have access to the store for one reason or another, some of them are ~13 years old and don't have the means, but some of them are people who could easily afford to pay but just choose not to, out of... spite? I don't get it.

I don't get it either. I guess it's just a combination of how we raise our society today, and the fact that it's easy to pirate. Nobody has a fucking morale compass anymore.

markimus
06-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I personally feel that I'd want to support the developer if they've made a good game, thats fun, especially if its reasonably priced!

tennisbgc
06-09-2013, 09:54 PM

Thanks guys!!!I finally got mine rooted, but definitly worth the effort since now my external harddrive is usable and I have a samba server for quick access to the ouya, . For me the trick was getting windows 7 to install the driver for ouya but this video helped with that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=454JFvFTxww after that I just followed these steps
1. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2272266
2. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2270589 (ignore the first post and goto the post 8)