PDA

View Full Version : What about creating an Update Manager?

Outlander999
06-09-2013, 12:56 PM
From what I read, OUYA doesn't permit a game installed managing its updates.
You must -manually- uninstall it and redownload the newer version.

Hoping OUYA INC will add that feature soon, I was thinking about the existence of an app that does this itself, automatically.

An app capable to search for updates, then uninstall games and reinstall them. All automatically.

Here there are many developers, I don't know it is that possible but they know more than me about Android -and Ouya- possibilities.
So I give you the idea... if you CAN do it, that will be a success :)

Pat1986
06-09-2013, 01:11 PM
btw how are updates currently handled for games that you bought? do you get notified somehow?

Outlander999
06-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Can't answer to you, sorry, because I haven't OUYA, waiting for the shipping.

But I read that the "update system" simply today "does not exists".
I think today the process is:

Developers say "hey guys, update my game!" writing it on a forum/facebook like thing XD
...and you manually uninstall/redownload it ^^

An app that automatically verify from the OUYA servers, and start the download could be good. Maybe it will need a "standard notify system" from all games, to work properly.

markimus
06-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I was actually looking at putting an update feature in to my game as I wanted to make sure players were always playing the most up to date version of the game, I haven't got far enough with my game to warrant time looking at updating, yet.

Cannibalpinhead
06-09-2013, 04:27 PM
I still cant believe theres no possibility to update a game... not even a notification to do so...

This works for every app or game on a android-device... either through the store oder in the app itself... but not on the Ouya... unbelievable!

And even if I know about a update... will the uninstall/install-"update" kill my savegames?

markimus
06-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I can see exactly where you are coming from, and I think its something that is needed with OUYA, I'm pretty sure they'll implement it, as almost every system has it, the windows store on windows phone, the xbox360 has it, its something that we've got use to. So I very much doubt they are ignoring it.

RiotingSpectre
06-09-2013, 04:44 PM
I can see exactly where you are coming from, and I think its something that is needed with OUYA, I'm pretty sure they'll implement it, as almost every system has it, the windows store on windows phone, the xbox360 has it, its something that we've got use to. So I very much doubt they are ignoring it.

I heard it will be ready on retail.

Ty Collum
06-09-2013, 11:51 PM
My current process for updates is:

1. Backup app in Titanium Backup
2. Uninstall app
3. Reinstall app (updated version)
4. Restore app data in Titanium Backup
5. ???
6. Profit

While I would welcome an update manager, it would need to backup my app data for me before it uninstalls/reinstalls. Unless someone can whip one out soon, I'm not sure it would be worth it, because I expect to see Ouya do it fairly soon. Of course, I am more patient than most...