PDA

View Full Version : OUYA - The Hardware Issues - Hackable, but Upgradable?

AliAla
07-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Guys, I know that the OUYA will be hackable, meaning it can be modded without voiding the warranty. However, will it be upgradable?

Android phones are ever changing. Every 2 years people get a new phone. Same goes for tablets. My questions is, will the OUYA console be upgradable, or will we eventually need to purchase an 2nd generation console?

I'm not too tech savvy so I was wondering if perhaps someone would have a better explanation.

MajorProbes
07-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Guys, I know that the OUYA will be hackable, meaning it can be modded without voiding the warranty. However, will it be upgradable?

Android phones are ever changing. Every 2 years people get a new phone. Same goes for tablets. My questions is, will the OUYA console be upgradable, or will we eventually need to purchase an 2nd generation console?

I'm not too tech savvy so I was wondering if perhaps someone would have a better explanation.

Depends on how quickly it expands as a platform, no one can give you an answer on that at this stage.

Frankeve
07-31-2012, 08:52 PM
The hardware really isn't all the great. I don't think the selling point here is the hardware as much as what it can do by running android on you TV. It's not going to be able to handle games that run on Xbox 360 or PS3. I wish it were able to, but by looking at the specs it certainly won't.

madmofo
08-09-2012, 11:46 PM
The hardware really isn't all the great. I don't think the selling point here is the hardware as much as what it can do by running android on you TV. It's not going to be able to handle games that run on Xbox 360 or PS3. I wish it were able to, but by looking at the specs it certainly won't.

The hardware really isn't that bad, somewhat equivalent to what the vita can do. Personally I'd hope that the Ouya team would swear off yearly releases so that developers looking at doing bigger projects would know that all the tweaks they are doing to get the most out of the current hardware isn't moot when the more powerful Ouya comes out 6 months later. A bi or tri yearly release would also help avoid large fragmentation in the ecosystem, ensuring that if a developer creates something for the device, everyone that owns it will be able to purchase and use it.

Gherid_lacksGPS
08-10-2012, 05:13 AM
^^^
I hope this situaion is addressed, as well.

Being open source, based on android and mobile technology, one has to be realistic regarding end game visuals. I really don't know a whole lot about Tegra. Neither am I a hardware engineer. I do know that, from what I've seen visually, Tegra3 is pretty impression. From what I've read, the core is an all around work horse. Will the chip come overclocked, a possibility considering its increase in scale/cooling/power delivery? Will it have tighter architecture and better drivers to support more defined roles? I see no reason why not.

Concerning upgradeable hardware, we'll just have to wait and see. With the mobile market changing so dynamically, it's hard for me to believe the system was not designed with expansion/improvements in mind. I don't want to say that improvements to visuals are no longer relevant, but I certainly believe that the scale at which visuals change, are beginning to plateau. It's not like ps2 -> ps3. In past generations there have been DEFINITIVE improvements in visual quality from one generation to the next. While we'll still see changes, the gap is beginning to tighten, and the quality of visuals is becoming available to a wider developer base. So, it makes me wonder if Ouya is at such a disadvantage, future hardware wise, as one may think. Hell, we haven't even see games running on the system itself, just generic tech demo's of Tegra3.

zander93
08-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Im sure we can upgrade the hardware as the ouya is already at a disadvantage...it'd be a computer of some sorts

Interfreak
08-10-2012, 06:16 AM
I would say hardware upgrades from OUYA would come out every 12 months, but no sooner. OUYA would want developers to focus on the 'current' version of OUYA for as long as possible, to try and get the absolute best out of the device before the next version comes along.

muns88
08-10-2012, 06:39 AM
I wouldn't consider the hardware "upgradable". This is assuming you mean to upgrade it like a PC by replacing internal parts etc. I believe that the entire system will be built on one primary PCB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board) and that upgrading certain components would be nothing for the average user to attempt. As far as new, upgraded consoles coming out, I think that there are a lot of possibilities. In line with what many of you have said, it may be an annual thing where a new console comes out, maybe even letting you stick to the same controllers. Maybe they'll release new consoles around the time that Android changes versions. (Gingerbread to ICS, etc) I don't think it would be wise for Ouya to even try to figure all those details out YET tho. I think within 3 months of the major release, the direction of Ouya will become clear. They are at a definite disadvantage for long term planning because they jumping in to a new market. There are many other markets with similar aspects, but not theirs exactly. That means that there is no example for them to follow for several aspects of their future and are solely counting on the community's response. I'm personally very anxious to follow the course of it all and have confidence that whatever direction they go will be what the community demands of them. They seem to listen to what the masses want. It's kind of like a gamer's democracy. Go Ouya!

Killer321
08-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Why upgrade ? Hack it your Way :D

Spo
08-31-2012, 04:45 PM

How are you judging this?

PlayStation 3:
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz 512KB L2 cache
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

Xbox 360:
3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz

OUYA:
(Tegra 3) 4+1 Core @ 1.5GHz/core. L2 Cache 1 MB / L1 Cache (I/D) (32KB / 32KB) per core
1GB RAM (unknown)

So... Maybe the android platform may not support a lot of the game *yet*. The console can sure as hell handle anything thrown at it.

Jawdy
08-31-2012, 05:20 PM
PlayStation 3:
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz 512KB L2 cache
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

The PS3's based around the "Cell Broadband" architecture using 1xPPE (Power Processing Element) and 8xSPE (Synergistic Processing Element) although at least one of the SPEs on the PS3 is "disabled", and in older consoles it was as much as 2 (one was for Linux/Backwards compatibility support - I think) but I digress...

So... Maybe the android platform may not support a lot of the game *yet*. The console can sure as hell handle anything thrown at it.

I completely agree with Fatal, here!
Loads of people are playing down what this hardware is truly capable of... yet when they talked about this same hardware in a Cell/Mobile phone or tablet, that it was "incredible" and would "revolutionise" portable gaming. I think that it's more than capable of throwing out some great quality titles and graphically impressive games, it just needs those kinds of games being built for it!

schlieffenplan
09-22-2012, 10:31 PM
http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/dead-trigger.png
This is a good example of what the hardwares demostrated capabilities are. Keeping in mind that the terga 3hardware used in the ouya is clocked at the maximum 1.5 GHz clockspeed and that this game probably isn't using the full potential of the hardware as it merely terga 3optomised with compability for other chipsets then the potential for this hardware actually is comparable with current consoles. Check out http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-unveils-five-new-tegra-3-optimized-games-at-e3-05232222/ for more info and http://www.engadget.com/photos/tegra-3-game-screenshots/ for more screenies.

Really though, this actually looks pretty impressive for a $100 machine that anyone can develop for.

Nicholas Ross
09-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I wonder how many people unskilled people (such as myself) are going to "Break" their OUYA's trying to figure out how to add different hardware beyond what it can handle. I don't know about anyone else, I'm gonna wait about three months before I unscrew it and peek inside. By that time enough people should have gone though the trial and error process, and then have torturals out for "How to Mod your OUYA"

But what could you in theory upgrade in hardware? Better Processor, Video Card, More Ram, Bigger SSD, a Bottle Opener, the Clapper... idk.

schlieffenplan
09-29-2012, 10:06 PM
But what could you in theory upgrade in hardware? Better Processor, Video Card, More Ram, Bigger SSD, a Bottle Opener, the Clapper... idk.
Adding more ram or swapping the processor most likely won't be possible as it will be all soldered onto a single pcb. Hopefully the 8G of storage will be via an internal sd/micro sd slot like on the raspberry pi allowing for an easy storage upgrade. Even if thats not possible you'll still be able attach external storage via usb. We'll probably also see so mods internalising usb peripherals such as a usb dongle for a usb keyboard or 3g access. Finally its almost certain well see people adding extra cooling to overclock the **** out of it.

jvaught89
10-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Dead Trigger is a fantastic game, looking every bit as pretty as most current console games! I've played a lot of Xbox 360 games that look much worse actually. I play the Tegra enhanced version on my Nexus 7 tablet and hook a wired Xbox 360 controller into it...when the controller is plugged in I can pretend it's an OUYA!!! I'll even pretend the TegraZone app is the OUYA game store... :'( dammit I want my OUYA!!! lol

I'm also hoping that when / if new versions of the console come out that OUYA will have an official upgrade kit that we can purchase to at least keep our 1st gen OUYA's up to date for one or two more cycles. This could just include an official update to overclock the processor and maybe some OUYA official supported cooling option to keep the overclocked system from overheating...that'd be awesome, no company has ever done that with any other consoles to my knowledge.

Josh Stanley
10-25-2012, 06:56 PM
With the cost of the console to start with, I seriously doubt there will be any real market to upgrade hardware if subsequent ouya models start to hit the market. For a $100 machine, it just isn't really cost effective, the only people doing it would be those who do just "because they can". Kinda like somebody buying a N/A car and doing a turbo swap, it's a whole lot more economical just to buy the one that already has the turbo, ya know? :D But some people do it anyway just for the fun or whatever.

What some folks here aren't realizing, when comparing simply memory and clock speeds, is that there are other things to factor in. Hell, my PC has a 1GB video card that is doubly as powerful as some of the low-end 2GB video cards on the market. With the ouya, you have to factor that it's DDR2, shaders, etc. No, I don't forsee it running a xbox 360 or PS3 level game. But when (if) a new version gets released (and I think 18 to 24 months is a reasonable and well-timed goal for that, if the console is well-received), I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. Look at where mobile technology is compared to 2 years ago.