PDA

View Full Version : Which Hacks/Mods would you like to see on OUYA?

Eddie K
08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Which hacks and mods would you like to see someone create for the OUYA? Let's hear them.

GamerPeBod
09-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I'd like to see Kinect compatibility. Of course this means that games would have to be made with Kinect in mind. Something I think would be feasible in the future, given the fact that Kinect will be on computers soon.

SlingShot
09-01-2012, 05:40 PM
As far as hacks and mods ... just some cool 3rd party stuff like headsets etc.

Clowen
09-10-2012, 03:45 PM
I'd like to see NFC capability. Keeping profile data on your phone and load it up on any OUYA you are playing on. Bam, instant memory cards.

This could probably be implemented as a USB device, without requiring hardware modifications. I realize there's Bluetooth available, but NFC (from my understanding) is easier for users. No pairing, just bring the phone close enough and data can move. Or even use the NFC to establish the Bluetooth pairing, now the phones are additional controllers or screens for data (maybe a Battleship style setup).

I'd even like to see this function like an on switch. Come home, put my phone on the OUYA, that turns on the OUYA. OUYA turns on the TV.

So yea, NFC capability. If I'm wrong and Bluetooth can work the same way, let me know. I'm considering this in terms of going from one OUYA to another, obviously once paired with your OUYA at home, the connection should always be available in range.

BlairJ
09-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Chris brings up a good point. I would like to see some strong connectivity between your mobile device (be it phone or tablet) and the OUYA console. This could provide a scenario similar to what Nintendo has created for their tablet controller and what Microsoft is doing to enable tablet interaction on the Xbox 360.

Eddie K
09-16-2012, 04:22 PM
That is a great point. Connectivity between phones/tablets/OUYA could be amazing. Conceivably you could use your tablet as a TV remote, or 2nd screen, and your phone as a gaming remote. A hack for this would be tremendous.

Reaperman
09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
I'd like to see a simple audio out mod.

I have purchased myself an 'hdmi2hdmi+audio' adapter but I fear that it may introduce extra signal delay, and it's another device in the tangled mess that will be my setup. Hopefully there will be a good source for ****og audio somewhere on that board.

edit: wow, the ol' auto censor is a bit picky on this forum. Let's just say 'less than fully digital audio' then.

BlairJ
09-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah I noticed that the other day. The word

a n a l o g

is not one it likes

ForTwoLarry
10-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I was thinking the other night, and what about a phone emulator.
At first it sounds silly but hear me out.
What if you could emulate, and convince the Google Play Store that you were a Galaxy Nexus. Then you could install apps that you have already purchased to the OUYA.
At a lesser capability emulator, you could side load the apps (again that you already purchased) and enjoy it.

I do understand that native apps will be more enjoyable, but I am talking about something like Dragon Fly that just requires a tap on the screen.
It seems doable?
I want to support the OUYA market and ecosystem, but I would like to save my money for more serious apps.

What do you think?

wajeemba
10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm thinking I'd love to multiboot default OUYA for console gaming, as well as CM10 for a vanilla android experience like you're talking about. That way I wouldn't have to sideload apps, and Dragon will Fly just fine :D

DoubleD
10-16-2012, 09:21 AM
There will probably be some crazy Japanese guys constructing a robot with the Ouya as the main processor and controlled with the Ouya controller.

Or some retro dudes connecting the oldest controllers possible.

But I am probably just going to split the usb so I have more, then add a Hard Drive to store movies and maybe add a keyboard if I need to type stuff.
But thats probably not 'hacky' enough for this thread.

darksakul
12-11-2012, 09:31 AM
I want to see is Arcade controllers can be used with the Ouya, like the Mad Catz and Hori Fight sticks for the PS3/Xbox 360.
Or at least accept basic HID devices, if the Ouya accepts HID game controllers like the PS3 or PC does I am sure hackers and modders can do wonders for optional controllers.

Jawdy
12-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I want to see is Arcade controllers can be used with the Ouya, like the Mad Catz and Hori Fight sticks for the PS3/Xbox 360.
Or at least accept basic HID devices, if the Ouya accepts HID game controllers like the PS3 or PC does I am sure hackers and modders can do wonders for optional controllers.

The whole HID thing is the question we have regarding PS3 SIXAXIS or 360 Controllers - it appears that this is how they are seen by the Kernel, then exposed via the Joystick libraries... something like that. So if those arcade sticks have USB, then I would wager they would work :-D

kingdragon33
12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
im going to replace the case with one that fits the interior design of my house, replacing the stock power supply and put a usb hub inside of the new case.

ernie
12-17-2012, 03:35 PM
I was thinking the other night, and what about a phone emulator.
At first it sounds silly but hear me out.
What if you could emulate, and convince the Google Play Store that you were a Galaxy Nexus. Then you could install apps that you have already purchased to the OUYA.
At a lesser capability emulator, you could side load the apps (again that you already purchased) and enjoy it.

I do understand that native apps will be more enjoyable, but I am talking about something like Dragon Fly that just requires a tap on the screen.
It seems doable?
I want to support the OUYA market and ecosystem, but I would like to save my money for more serious apps.

What do you think?

Thats a great idea!!
I also want to play some games from Google Play Store on OUYA with such an emulator..
It just need to convert OUYA controller actions to touch events and then you can play every game from Play Store! :D
Cause then you have short small games for a party and this would be really fun :D

Eddie K
12-18-2012, 08:40 PM
This would be quite interesting, if a dev could make an Android Phone/Tablet Emulator. Not sure OUYA would allow this though since it would mean they would lose a ton of sales.

Stucar1985
12-19-2012, 05:51 PM
A keyboard attachment for the controller similar to what's available on the 360 controllers, would make data entry effortless for browser etc and the touchpad could be used as mouse pointer.

Onscreen keyboards are never a nice thing.

beaver_regnew
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
I would very much like to see a direct output of analog sound through a standard 3.5mm plug. I'm in a situation where I can't have a TV, and all the monitors I can find with built-in speakers A: have sucky speakers, B: are out of my price range, and C: seem to only have those speakers hooked to a (you guessed it) analog 3.5 input. To top that off, I have a good computer monitor with DVI-D that should do just fine for the video. Sorry, just my little rant. Anyway, at this point I am hoping to get around all this difficulty by hooking a bluetooth reciever to my stereo and sending the sound through that. Think it will work? :concern:

Seth Caudill
01-19-2013, 10:23 AM
I would love to see a PC/tablet app that would allow you to remote into you OUYA.. For example, you could be on a trip with your 3G Ipad or android tablet click the app and play your OUYA on the road.. This would also allow you to use your OUYA as a handheld gaming device (DS, PSP, PSVITA,etc.....) Don't know if it is do able just figured it would be the first of its kind.

HellRa1SeR
01-19-2013, 05:17 PM
I would love to have the play store on it. And also some way to add more memory to the board(not through the USB).

Tomato
01-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Kinnect would be nice.

Webcam-Support including skype or google hangouts would be awesome

Stucar1985
01-19-2013, 07:46 PM
I stumbled upon that leap motion controller I know its probably not compatible but controlling ouya with that would be cool.

https://leapmotion.com/

damien
01-20-2013, 08:59 AM
i think cm10/aokp would be nice, but .. if there will be an cm-10 source i'll make myself an really litle rom without the cm10-laucher and phone modules and co

felipe_emery
01-21-2013, 09:06 PM
IR for remote control
Ouya is perfect for media player, but gamepad isn't the best way for control

Joćo Costa
01-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Cyanogen mod for the console... Plus usb camera support for skype.

Alex Ross Shaw
01-24-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't know if it's an obvious one, or even if it's possible or if it will be possible out of the box - but a patch so you can use any USB controller would be great. I've bought 2 controllers but am having an OUYA party once it's out, and having four or five of us rotating would be frustrating (old skool, but frustrating!) so being able to use a couple of standard USB controllers to go with my OUYA controllers would mean we could get more of us on there at once. That'd probably be my first and most basic request!

Jack_Mcslay
01-26-2013, 01:49 AM
I don't know if it's an obvious one, or even if it's possible or if it will be possible out of the box - but a patch so you can use any USB controller would be great. I've bought 2 controllers but am having an OUYA party once it's out, and having four or five of us rotating would be frustrating (old skool, but frustrating!) so being able to use a couple of standard USB controllers to go with my OUYA controllers would mean we could get more of us on there at once. That'd probably be my first and most basic request!I think that's supported already, but that will be up to the developer to support it. It is possible to have X360, PS3, Wii Classic and WiiU controllers emulating the Ouya controller as long as the game doesn't use the touchpad, but regular USB controllers will be difficult since there's no set standard to button layout

Alex Ross Shaw
01-26-2013, 09:04 AM
I see. That would be good then - as I have two Xbox pads! :)

neobeeper
01-27-2013, 03:33 AM
I would like the OUYA to be used even on your phone or tablet. Like you could download something onto your smartphone or tablet and you could sign-into (if there's gonna be an account sign-in function) your OUYA and you could play the games that you have on your OUYA account.

GreggHoush
03-29-2013, 05:17 AM
Cyanogen mod for the console... Plus usb camera support for skype.

Doesnt Cyanogenmod work via touch controls? Has any work on a non-touch interface for Cyanogenmod actually been done?

I just dont see why people want to throw Cyanogenmod on this thing. It seems awfully touch heavy to actually work well on a non-touch system.

deadpool_merc
03-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Google Play! Or at least easy side loading of the apps I've bought from Google play.

I dont see the need for cm10 though?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

defyboy
04-05-2013, 07:52 AM
A few things I would like to see:

* PS3 Controllers - There is already android hacks for these, so I'm sure someone will get this going
* HID USB controllers, Keyboard and mouse - These should be a given, Doesn't android already support these?
* Steering wheels
* Cases, Someone needs to print us some cases, I'd pay damn good money for you to make my Ouya look like a mini-NES
* Internal storage - I want lots of it
* Emulators - Like this isn't going to happen anyway....
* GPIO - Have they left any of these available to tap into? we could hook up some cool crap with this, IR, Serial Display etc

pete123
04-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Or some retro dudes connecting the oldest controllers possible.

I'm going to bust out my power glove then.

user82
04-05-2013, 08:12 AM
I would like to see a dualboot option for a desktop system and the Ouya system.

Also a kernel with Overclocking abilities would be cool.

GreggHoush
04-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm going to bust out my power glove then.

This needs to happen. I would use a Power Glove. Even though there werent that many games or that many good ones specific to the Power Glove, I loved mine.

Mustacheman
05-04-2013, 09:01 AM
I would like to see some hacks that will boost the WiFi capabilities of the device.

hyperlogos
05-16-2013, 12:58 AM
IR for remote control
Ouya is perfect for media player, but gamepad isn't the best way for control

go down to gamestop and get yourself a used PS3 bluetooth remote for $13
then go to the play store and use an extension or just install to another device "bluetooth pairing"
it's all in Japanese, but there are reviews (including one by me) which explain how to use it. you select your device, then you exit the app, then you disable bluetooth, then you enable bluetooth. not sure how to accomplish this on ouya, if the app will run there, et cetera.

Cyanogenmod is the obvious want

rosse119
05-18-2013, 08:28 PM
I'd like to see someone make it into a true power house, uprated ram, massive internal memory and more USB outs

derty
05-22-2013, 02:15 PM
I'd like to see someone make it into a true power house, uprated ram, massive internal memory and more USB outs

I totally agree. I would really like to see like sound cards, possibly a SD slot :D even a micro SD would b fine. But ya having an OUYA turned into a mini computer with super vid cards and shit would b epic.

guyver
06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Internal/external SD swap (like with Stweaks kernel)

vinnyusc
06-19-2013, 08:16 PM
I've requested the hardware designs through a support ticket since they said ask for them if we want them so we will see what they say, though, I remember seeing someone comment in another thread that there were no free headers on the board for this type of expansions

"Hackers welcome.

Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty). Everything opens with standard screws. Hardware hackers can create their own peripherals, and connect via USB or Bluetooth. You want our hardware design? Let us know. We might just give it to you. Surprise us!"

PancreaticDefect
06-26-2013, 03:12 AM
I really want a mod that makes the GUI look like a PipBoy interface from any of the Fallout games.

Cody Jackson
06-26-2013, 04:38 AM
support for blu tooth head sets (both in game and on ouya), additional memory (any way is fine) and maybe an awesome way to buy upgrades for it in the future. The way I see it if they keep the shape why not just buy a new mother board to upgrade it instead of buying a new system. Gyroscope tilt functions on controllers, webcam skype support would be cool, booting into a different os like ubuntu would be cool as well

XTwarrior
06-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Without a doubt I'd love to be able to sync my Gmail android account and then be able to download and use my games from my phone environment. Maybe create an app where you can store standard Android games, and also allow custom triggers for controller use to allow for playing games that otherwise may not be compatible with the OUYA controller.

Stucar1985
06-30-2013, 11:17 AM
I'd like to see airplay. I think there's some apps or hacks that would make this possible my ouya has pretty much replaced my Apple TV but that's the one function I miss the most.

Manaurys
06-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Kinnect would be nice.

Webcam-Support including skype or google hangouts would be awesome

Yes i need Skype