PDA

View Full Version : Overhaul of Ouya

Andy Bridenbaugh
05-29-2013, 09:25 AM
I was thinking what if you overhauled the Ouya could it be as powerful as Xbox ONE/Playstation 4 or better? Effectively you could do this by making Ouya run as a mod/hacked PC by literally hooking it into a Desktop PC/Laptop. This could also be done by mod/hacking the software engine say similar to steam's software on desktops. As well you could emulate it so much it's literally a PC that works with you Ouya for whatever you would desire from it be the games, console mobility, or just because you like the Ouya controller or mulitiplayer possibilities.

So I'm saying,
Do you envy the Ouya's 100% hackability/mod for:
power of computer and upgrade ability (and endless amount of power but definitely to compare to Xbox ONE and Playstation 4)

software engines/non-indie titles (Main stream games with high end graphics and massive gamer mulitplayer servers)
Steam with it's indie game audience, ability to use TV for games (Steam Big Picture)
other gains like mobility. ( I could just go to my friends house and use his desktop but only need my Ouya for multiplayers)
Additional operating systems with hardware could allow instant switching from games/web browsing/tv watching while on a single TV/monitor. More importantly work with anything currently popular in the market.
My main dream is to have PC gamers give somewhat to Ouya whatever there is as well as compete with Xbox and Playstation consoles.

jonbonazza
05-29-2013, 06:47 PM
It's not as simple as that. the OUYA uses an ARMv7 chipset, where as a PC runs on an Intel or AMD chipset (usually one of x86, x64 or amd64). Software compiled for one chipset does not work on another chipset without being recompiled from source ON the target chipset.

macharborguy
05-29-2013, 06:58 PM
i also wouldn't say that the hardware is very "upgradable" as its such a small board with everything soldered on it, and I wouldn't even begin to know where to get more ram chips for it, let alone want to have to deal with the tiny solder points. Ill leave that for people like Ben Heck.

if you want a highly upgradable and hackable system, a PC will tend to be it, unless the mythical modular-SteamBox ever officially becomes a reality.

You would have a better chance emulating OUYA on a PC than PC on an OUYA