PDA

View Full Version : Will it be possible to mod the Homescreen layout?

digitalBCP
05-07-2013, 02:42 PM
I was wondering with the OUYA being an open platform will it be possible to modify the homescreen layout to make it more personalized. I am planning on having my OUYA replace my Apple TV, however I really enjoy the layout the Apple TV has and was hoping given time someone would be able to mimic it on the OUYA.

jason
05-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Yes, at least with the current OUYA firmware, you can change the default launcher.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103979003219935257489/posts/H3yZnsKLsEr

James Andrew Coote
05-07-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm sure people will create custom ROMs for it and the like, but if you just want to mod the home screen, it may be you have to wait till OUYA release the source code for the OUYA launcher that sits at the very top of the OUYA software stack and is the thing you see when you load it up, browse the store etc. Assuming that, yes, someone will obviously have to then take that and make custom versions for people to download

Edit: or as jason suggests, you can just install a different launcher, though that won't give you access to the store (I don't think)

jason
05-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Edit: or as jason suggests, you can just install a different launcher, though that won't give you access to the store (I don't think)

You can still open the OUYA launcher from your "new" launcher just like any other app to still have access to the OUYA Store. This is actually shown in the screenshot on the G+ post that I linked to above. The only thing that I've found that is "broken" using the OUYA this way is the on-screen OUYA keyboard doesn't come up. Not a problem if you have a physical keyboard handy in the few instances that you need to enter text.

People that bought the OUYA primarily for XBMC will probably be interested in this, or really anyone that side-loads a bunch of stuff. Because having to drill down into the "Make" section every time is annoying. And the stock OUYA launcher, in general, is pretty lacking at this point. Rearranging the order of games/apps and the option to "star" a particular game/app to have it be added to a custom "Favorites" section is badly needed. Until it shapes up, a replacement launcher might be the way to go for some.