PDA

View Full Version : Blue Sky thread: Your ideas for OUYA's future

James Andrew Coote
05-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Since OUYA have an iterative development cycle (i.e. there is nothing set in stone about what it will or won't have), I thought it'd be interesting to discuss where people thing OUYA should go in terms of how it develops as a console.

Could be high level, long term things, or particular features you think OUYA should be focusing on come June

LightyKD
05-07-2013, 01:06 PM
I'd like to see a two year minimum active life span before Ouya 2. Also, a "enhanced" controller with a touch screen as an option would be nice. I'm not even talking about a big screen. A 3.5 inch resistive HVGA screen would be nice. Lastly a dock that goes under the console with 4 USB ports, a SD slot and included wireless sensor bar would be awesome!

tickling
05-07-2013, 01:24 PM
It needs to become cheaper - Xbox and PS3 are a comparable price in the UK.
Achievements- Simple but effective and will increase sales.
1st Party Games - Despite saying they don't need them you need to become different and give usp.
Clearer pricing - They also need to think of the consumer as well as the developer.

user82
05-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Ouya 2 has to come with gamecube/wii emulation :D

Pr0nSyrup
05-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Ouya 2 has to come with Dreamcast emulation :D

I fixed it for you.

fireballs
05-07-2013, 01:54 PM
I would like for them to get deals with multimedia companies to bring their streaming services to OUYA. They need to have a broader audience, some people don't really want to play games full time but want a media box like Roku, Google TV or Apple TV. If they can get the TWC , Watch ESPN, Hulu Plus, Netflix and Pandora Apps I think it could really help sales from people who might not look at the OUYA.

wizzdingo
05-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I would love to get an NFLRewind app included in the list mentioned above.

It would also be interesting if OUYA can pitch itself an a system that can easly manage up to 16 controllers, and sell cheaper (~$15) controlers for true party play.

Paradigm-Softworks
05-07-2013, 03:18 PM
I'd like to see a two year minimum active life span before Ouya 2. Also, a "enhanced" controller with a touch screen as an option would be nice. I'm not even talking about a big screen. A 3.5 inch resistive HVGA screen would be nice. Lastly a dock that goes under the console with 4 USB ports, a SD slot and included wireless sensor bar would be awesome!

Ew. Resistive touch screens should never have been invented. They work horribly without a stylus.

I want to see a 2 year cycle and I'd like the OUYA 2 to be engineered to fit inside the OUYA 1 (since I'm ordering the LE console I don't want it to be defunct by this time next year).

LightyKD
05-07-2013, 03:57 PM
I fixed it for you. Ouya 1 should be more than capable of Dreamcast and PSP... just saying

LightyKD
05-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Ew. Resistive touch screens should never have been invented. They work horribly without a stylus.

I want to see a 2 year cycle and I'd like the OUYA 2 to be engineered to fit inside the OUYA 1 (since I'm ordering the LE console I don't want it to be defunct by this time next year).

The need for a stylus IS why I said resistive. BTW the Wii U screen is resistive and feels damn near capacitive. Resistive screens would be great for menu navigation and item organization. Ever played with a DS? Also Id like to send illustrated messages and capacitive screens are a pain for drawing.

James Andrew Coote
05-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Ouya 1 should be more than capable of Dreamcast and PSP... just saying

It is capable performance wise. The issue is with not having the capability to do certain functions on the graphics hardware. It's mostly a result of the fact that OUYA uses OpenGL ES, the slimmed down version of OpenGL.

Pyrofer
05-08-2013, 08:46 AM
The one killer app I think that would make the Ouya for me is actually shipping the damn thing to me.
Sending them to customers is a major advancement I think the Ouya team should consider.

Magnesus
05-08-2013, 09:20 AM
A good Wolfson audio chip with 100db signal-to-noise ratio (they are probably quite cheap for the quality they offer) and an audio out port would be nice.

Athlor
05-08-2013, 06:31 PM
If they wanted to make even more money, Ouya should consider selling optional peripherals. Things like bluetooth keyboards, headsets, hubs, docks and hard drives all in the matching gun metal color. They wouldn't have have to do any real developing except for the dock design because they could use existing designs and there are Chinese companies that would love their business. I've seen a $2 Chinese usb hub repacked with new paint as an official Korg usb hub and they sell it for $19. $$$

Masaaki
05-08-2013, 06:58 PM
I want OUYA to release a snap-on bluetooth keyboard for the controller. So I don't have to put down the controller and pick up a keyboard, I could just type right there :)

Supes
05-08-2013, 10:50 PM

I've said the same thing before. They should make an "upgrade kit" available for cheaper, with nothing but a new motherboard (well, motherboard plus heat sink, since the heat sink is soldered on). It'd be way less wasteful, too.

The inside of the Ouya is so straightforward and accessible pretty much anyone would be able to upgrade on their own with this.

EDIT:
I see the next generation of Ouya having 3 separate models:
1) $100 "Starter Kit" - Ouya 2 and a controller
2) $50 "Basic Kit" - Just an Ouya 2
3) $35 "Upgrade Kit" - Ouya 2 motherboard and instructions on how to install

This puts the Ouya 2 tech in impulse buy territory for Ouya 1 owners, and will allow developers to continue developing games using the latest model specs without worrying about the available sales base.

d_brennen
05-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Blue sky - I want to be able to buy a second Ouya at retail and have it delivered within a week :D

user82
05-08-2013, 11:08 PM

At least for Tegra 3 the price was quite high in the market.
If Tegra 4 gets a little cheaper or stays the same price that does not work.

Supes
05-08-2013, 11:44 PM
At least for Tegra 3 the price was quite high in the market.
If Tegra 4 gets a little cheaper or stays the same price that does not work.

Too early to get a sense of these things. If I remember right, the Tegra 3 started at about $20. I'm sure by now it's a bit cheaper. Ouya 2 won't be released until the Tegra 4 has already been out for a year also.

Plus depending how sales progress, it might make a lot of sense of the folks at Ouya to actually subsidize the cost of an upgrade. They already plan on making most of their profits through sales, and avoiding a fractured user base amid yearly console releases will be incredibly important to developers.

DivinityCycle
05-09-2013, 12:25 AM
The thing I want the most is pretty stupid, I would like some sort of audio input for Google Now use. If you haven't messed around with Google Now and its voice capabilities, then you won't get why I want audio input. If you have, you will understand :P

fireballs
05-09-2013, 01:32 AM
I've said the same thing before. They should make an "upgrade kit" available for cheaper, with nothing but a new motherboard (well, motherboard plus heat sink, since the heat sink is soldered on). It'd be way less wasteful, too.

The inside of the Ouya is so straightforward and accessible pretty much anyone would be able to upgrade on their own with this.

EDIT:
I see the next generation of Ouya having 3 separate models:
2) $50 "Basic Kit" - Just an Ouya 2

This puts the Ouya 2 tech in impulse buy territory for Ouya 1 owners, and will allow developers to continue developing games using the latest model specs without worrying about the available sales base.
I like the idea and have thought about this multiple times before. Only problem with your outline is realistic pricing, I think it would be more realistic with this

2) $70 "Basic Kit" - Just an Ouya 2
3) $50 "Upgrade Kit" - Ouya 2 motherboard and instructions on how to install

The OUYA is basically just the board to begin with. Besides the motherboard the actual OUYA only has a Case, fan and a weight. At $35 and the ability to use a PS3 controller they would sell only boards pretty much. OUYA isn't big enough yet to take a loss on hardware to make up the difference on software.

Victor Coleiro
05-09-2013, 01:37 AM
Id like to see it dual boot with Linux. A controller with a keyboard on it would be good also.

Plus a SD or uSD card slot is needed

Tegra 4 and a package opition that includes an Oculus Rift