PDA

View Full Version : Ouya Controller paired via Bluetooth. Windows vs Mac.

Twinz
05-04-2013, 05:18 AM
So after receiving my Ouya, one of the first things I tried to do after messing with the actual console was to connect the controller to my computer via Bluetooth. My laptop is a MacBook which runs both Mac and Windows (Boot Camp) which helps me test it out on both. Here's what I've managed to do so far:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Windows
Pairing the controller was quick and easy. It paired up with no problems and even downloaded the drivers necessary to be recognized by the computer. Testing out the buttons in the Control Panel showed that everything was working properly. The touchpad even functions as a mouse, just as it does on Android devices.

The next thing I did was try to get it working with an emulator (PS2). I was having some troubles at first and realized later when mapping the buttons that everything would be recognized as "Z Axis-" aka the left trigger. At times I had to hit a button several times before it was properly recognized. Either way I managed to get it working in the end.

When attempting the same thing with an N64 emulator I unfortunately had no luck. Everything registered as "Z Rotation-" aka the right trigger.

To clarify, "Z Axis" is apparently the pressure sensitive analog portion of the L2 trigger. "Z Rotation" is the same for R2. Apparently when in a neutral state these are actually recognized as being in a negative state rather than at 0. Therefore the computer is constantly taking a negative input from both triggers. Not sure how to fix this as re-calibration doesn't seem to work properly for the triggers either.

Mac
I initially had trouble getting this to work, but now I seem to have had some success. After pairing the controller twice, my computer recognized the inputs from the controller. The one problem I have now is that the controller is also functioning as a mouse. The O and U buttons seem to function as Left Click and possibly Right Click. It's hard to tell since pressing any button resets the mouse pointer to the top-left corner of the screen. So, while I was able to get the controller working with a game, it would also click outside the game any time I pushed a button.

I haven't run into the problem with the triggers as I did on Windows, but I'll keep testing with other games to see what happens.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyway, that's my experience. I'll continue testing on both operating systems in the next few days. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to post them.

Carthaginian
05-11-2013, 11:30 PM
That's wonderful...
HOW DO YOU GET IT TO WORK WITH THE OUYA?
Batteries are in- no lights, no function.

WHY?

jonbonazza
05-12-2013, 01:21 AM
That's wonderful...
HOW DO YOU GET IT TO WORK WITH THE OUYA?
Batteries are in- no lights, no function.

WHY?

Chill the f*ck out. You have litterally posted the same thing in at least 5 threads. Much advice has been given.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Juggle
05-12-2013, 05:30 AM
I think this was the easiest thing I've ever paired with my PC. Windows bluetooh is usually such a pain. But this just paired right up first try.

The touchpad is actually semi-useful when hooked to a PC since it's a halfway decent mouse substitute. It's still too small to really do much, but it's enough to start steam and get big picture mode going and that's really want I want in a PC controller.

The goofy mappings made navigating big picture a bit tricky, I figure that can be worked out though. However once I got into a game (The Cave) things went downhill quick. The goofy mapping was bad...but things were jumpy and there were a bunch of ghost presses on things. I had a hard time just exiting the game because of all the crazy inputs coming from the controller.

So there's potential...but it will take a bit of tweaking to be really useful. I suspect my controllers may be pre-fix though since I've confirmed they have the funky dead zones, horrible lag when used with the Ouya, and I've had buttons get stuck under the faceplate (though that wasn't what was causing the phantom presses I experienced on the PC.) So I'm probably not going to put much effort into making them play nice on PC until I deal with Ouya support about the issues I'm experiencing. If those issues get ironed out though these could easily be my favorite controllers for PC use due to how easily they paired and how the touch pad is actually somewhat useful on a PC.

scarfy
08-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Has anybody got this to work?

I would love to use the ouya controller with steam big picture. Wich works great under Linux (fedora) just had to sync the bluetooth and it worked. But under windows 7 steam doesn't recorgnize any button presses when setting up the controller. although the windows "test" window does..

Does anybody know how to get the ouya controller to work with steam on windows 7?

Skunkie
10-24-2013, 10:38 PM
I know officially the OUYA team isn't support pairing the controller to a Mac (or Windows), but I am hoping the amazing community can find away to get the controller to detect as a game pad, I know Edmund Kapusniak (http://edmund.birotanker.com) has made a driver, but I can't seem to get it working right. The package installs to the Extensions directory on Mac OS X and that has been depreciated in Mavericks. And honestly I am having trouble figuring out what directory to move the files to to get the system to load 'em.