PDA

View Full Version : Want to drop my Ouya into an old N64

NitrousYA
04-09-2013, 05:51 PM
So I am going to drop my ouya into an old n64 shell. I want to include a hdd, powered usb hub and n64 to usb adapters so the front ports work (confirmed working by Mupen64+ dev, Paul). I am very new to mods but don't have a problem with a soldering iron. I'm going through compiling the system in my head and I can't get past the power. I will have AC adapters for the ouya, hub and hdd. Can someone point me in the right direction for a tutorial on how to consolidate these into one outgoing power cable? Thanks!

d_brennen
04-09-2013, 06:58 PM
What voltages do your various parts require? Are you happy to knock up a simple circuit on a mini breadboard/perf board? I see you have an iron so I assume so. Should be easy enough to cobble together a little circuit with voltage regulators. You might need a new AC adaptor with a higher voltage/amperage

I am more than willing to lend suggestions as I am going to be doing the same myself :)

e: not with an N64 though :D

NitrousYA
04-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks brennen,

Not sure on voltages, the 2.5 hdd should be 5v right? No idea on the Ouya and the hub hasn't arrived yet. I can part together a breadboard but I would need a diagram and parts list. I'm glad to hear you're taking on a similar task, I'll be sure to follow your posts :D

d_brennen
04-10-2013, 12:43 AM
If the hard drive is 2.5" it is more than likely powered by a single USB cable, which is also the data cable :p The hub will probably be between 7 and 12v, the Ouya 12v iirc. TBH I don't know what spec power adaptor comes with the Ouya retail or what the load consumption of the Ouya is. I doubt I'll be getting my Ouya for quite a while yet either :(

If the PSU that comes with the Ouya is just above what is required for the console + 1 x 500mA USB device, we'll need new adaptors or risk a melt down of the supplied piece...

Where abouts are you in the world NitrousYA?

GreggHoush
04-10-2013, 03:33 PM
If/when either of you successfully pull these off PLEASE post build logs. Parts, Photos, diagrams, instructions. I am sure a lot of people would love this information (including me.)

d_brennen
04-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Of course. Documenting and sharing success (and failures) is as much fun as the projects imo :)

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?1457-Ouya-power-requirements-and-connector

Some interesting power related snippets in here.

rushmore
04-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Nice idea :)

hyperlogos
05-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Some of the really cheap colored USB cables I'm seeing now can be taken apart, and then you can solder to the connectors. Some USB hard drives are powered by USB and some aren't, I have some of both here. Pretty much all of them run on 5V though, so that they can be plugged into USB ports, keyboard ports, etc. I used a cheap colored cable and a cheap boost buck converter to put my Raspberry Pi in a PS2 TOOL HDD case. The HDMI cable hangs out like a tail :)

See http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=boost%20buck

You need one for each voltage. The USB hub will almost certainly take either 12V or 5V and the Ouya runs on 5V, so odds are you will only need two converters. You also need a meter so you know what your output voltage is; it's tuned with a little screwdriver.