PDA

View Full Version : Move forward?! Lollipop? Something?

Mat
12-15-2015, 08:25 PM
Hi,
I'm here to kick asses, no I'm not...

So Razer will be OUYA useful somehow? OUYA is the worst device I've ever had. Only CM11 make this device functional. Even MK802 (the first one) is better for watching videos. You can't play good games because GPU is poor even for Tegra 3 (old drivers?) also lock overclocking! I wanted play GTA SA, but with 20fps in every second scene it's like playing on calculator.

As I know Tegra 3 has source codes for Lollipop. I've never got why OUYA end on Android 4.1, it was old when OUYA was released...

So please update our OUYA! With Art could be more powerful.
Or at least reales new source codes.

Thanks.

Chii_Dev
12-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Updates are unlikely, Razer doesn't want anything to do with the OUYA's hardware; they're using this year (since the acquisition) to turn off the lights and flip over the sign.

Eldon.McGuinness
12-15-2015, 10:04 PM
It is funny you mention this as I just posted the other day that during the AMA a Razer employee said there would be one more update for the Ouya OS out of customer appreciation. However, I can not find the original post that the person posted saying that. I decided I would grab a screenshot of the post where I quoted him/her though.

I for one would love to see a 4.2 or 4.4 update, but 5.0 would be a welcome change too. I hope that Razer realizes that how they handle this will determine if people even want to touch their consoles in the future. After all, if you simply drop the customer base from a device you acquired, what are people supposed to think other than they could do it again. From a customer/marketing stance, it is a no-brainer that they should put out an update to the OS and bring Cortex to it; however, there have been a number of other no-brainer decisions that went wrong in the past so..0

I do have to say though, you judgment of a console that is a few years old now is kinda harsh. While I think Ouya Inc. could have done a number of things better, especially when it comes to supporting modifications and OS updates, the Ouya is a great little device and does what most people that bought it wanted it to do and then some. I for one have used CM11 and the latest official FW and yes, there are benefits to both sides and you as a customer have to choose what you want to go with. If you need the newer OS then go with CM11, if you want more Ouya published game compatibility then go with the stock firmware.

If you really hate the device so much you can always send it to me, I have put a number of them to use in many ways around my neighborhood. :P

flamepanther
12-15-2015, 11:00 PM
I think the first question, actually, is who would be implementing this suggestion. This has never really been an official suggestions box for OUYA Inc. in the first place, and that was when OUYA Inc. still existed as a solvent entity. Now they're gone and we have an even less direct relationship with Razer at this point than our already strictly unofficial relationship to OUYA as a fan site. So at this point, it would have to be a suggestion for the OUYA fan community.

So. Do we have anyone here with both the interest and the know-how to either port Cyanogenmod 12.1 to OUYA or graft the OUYA framework onto a generic AOSP buld of Lollipop? If we do, I'd love to see it. If not... well then it's either wishful thinking, or it needs to be directed to Razer.

Killswitch
12-15-2015, 11:34 PM
Interesting...

Bet you were waiting for a longer answer. That's all I got.

But if you and whoever else wants this then people need to start posting. While in the end it's ultimately up to them, if no one is posting or saying anything then it just goes ignored. This forum does get read you know...couldn't tell you to what degree but it does.

There is an update supposedly coming so why does everyone have to jump off the bridge before that update comes. Let the update come THEN jump off the bridge.

DrunkPunk
12-16-2015, 10:11 AM
If you really hate the device so much you can always send it to me

No, me!

Oldkid Livegen
12-16-2015, 09:35 PM
Well, I have another Tegra 3 device, which is a Asus Transformer TF300T and it's currently running Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, so I guess it's totally feasible to update the Ouya firmware to the very last version of Android.

Plus, Marshmallow have this awesome feature allowing SD card or USB storage to be "merged" and used as internal storage. After that, the user never have to worry about apps size anymore.

Eldon.McGuinness
12-17-2015, 01:40 AM
Indeed, the main thing is proper support for that damned OUYA button :P CM11 works great other than that one little thing :/

flamepanther
12-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Indeed, the main thing is proper support for that damned OUYA button :P CM11 works great other than that one little thing :/

Well, that and having 100% support for the the DISCOVER store.

Eldon.McGuinness
12-18-2015, 10:59 PM
As long as the dev did not go crazy with DRM in their app beyond the OUYA DRM, you are fine on CM11. The only app that I has seen to have issues is Bombsquad which actually has to recognize the device and info from the build.prop file.

K-Project
01-30-2016, 04:55 PM
I for one would love to see a 4.2 or 4.4 update, but 5.0 would be a welcome change too. I hope that Razer realizes that how they handle this will determine if people even want to touch their consoles in the future. After all, if you simply drop the customer base from a device you acquired, what are people supposed to think other than they could do it again. From a customer/marketing stance, it is a no-brainer that they should put out an update to the OS and bring Cortex to it; however, there have been a number of other no-brainer decisions that went wrong in the past so..0

Interesting...

Bet you were waiting for a longer answer. That's all I got.

But if you and whoever else wants this then people need to start posting. While in the end it's ultimately up to them, if no one is posting or saying anything then it just goes ignored. This forum does get read you know...couldn't tell you to what degree but it does.

There is an update supposedly coming so why does everyone have to jump off the bridge before that update comes. Let the update come THEN jump off the bridge.

I too hope we see an update for the Ouya to a newer Android version, but I fear this will not happen now. I agree that although we are a small user base compared to mighty Google, Razer still need to handle things well. Dump us off unceremoniously and we will be highly unlikely to purchase a further console from them. As it is I cannot see how this company will do anything at all to placate Ouya users, but please prove me wrong Razer.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-31-2016, 01:43 AM
...Razer still need to handle things well. Dump us off unceremoniously and we will be highly unlikely to purchase a further console from them...
https://media.giphy.com/media/mvyByQFywcRaw/giphy.gif

Same thing I've been saying and exactly why I choose not to be Forge customer/developer.

anatomality
01-31-2016, 03:11 PM
Common guys, it's just video games. Support OUYA/Forge. Nitpicking.

I seriously doubt that the original OUYA is going to get updated... Never say never, but the Forge is the future.
They made good and knocked the price down, the original OUYA being updated would only cause fragmentation. We could be getting games that are more demanding performance-wise, then all the OG OUYA people would be feeling left out. Like the OP said, hardware is horribly dated.

Pretty sure that updating the OUYA would cause more problems than solutions.
The Original OUYA was 99$. If you failed to get 99$ of satisfaction out of the box over the last few years, maybe it's time to reassess some things.

yus.

K-Project
01-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Common guys, it's just video games. Support OUYA/Forge. Nitpicking.

I seriously doubt that the original OUYA is going to get updated... Never say never, but the Forge is the future.
They made good and knocked the price down, the original OUYA being updated would only cause fragmentation. We could be getting games that are more demanding performance-wise, then all the OG OUYA people would be feeling left out. Like the OP said, hardware is horribly dated.

Pretty sure that updating the OUYA would cause more problems than solutions.
The Original OUYA was 99$. If you failed to get 99$ of satisfaction out of the box over the last few years, maybe it's time to reassess some things.

yus.

Not sure what you're trying to accuse me of here. I'm a massive fan of the Ouya and very much hoping the Forge can be my one-box solution. I have very much had 89 (plus, including many purchases) worth of pleasure out of the Ouya and would very much like it to continue, on this and potentially the next box. No need to "re-assess things". I think you've been a bit confused by what we're getting at.

Not nit-picking anything. But the fact is I would rather buy a box that continues the lineage in a respectful way and can do everything and more that the Ouya does. As it is, being in the UK it isn't even a factor for me to be able to buy one. I bought a Minix box the other day and was massively disappointed by it. It has a lot of attention grabbing things they put on the box (4k! Android 5.1.1!), but how come the Ouya with its "outdated OS" is a better experience? I wouldn't want the Forge to disappoint in the same way. I'd like them to successfully pull us over in a cool way, but that's up to them.

discotechjam
02-05-2016, 03:23 AM
I am really getting to the point where I feel like being annoyed at ouya for not pushing at least a 4.2 update is pointless. It's not just ouya's fault, it's a more general problem with how android hardware and software is released. I would never buy a computer which limits which operating systems I could install or how I could install them. Yet, for some reason this seems to be the norm when it comes to android. At this point, an update is not as important as having the freedom to control my own system. I'm happy to buy software from cortex if I can sideload the store, if not, what's the point?

Eldon.McGuinness
02-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Perhaps they are waiting for the Cortex store to be released for other devices, then they could decouple the ouya specifics from the os and give an almost stock update to something higher than 4.1.2. Again, just speculation, but meh.