PDA

View Full Version : Ouya Arcade Cabinet

OUYAReview
03-19-2013, 03:02 AM
Would it be possible to stick an Ouya in a custom built Arcade Cabinet and then running an SNES emulator for Street Fighter? Maybe mount some arcade Fight Sticks and really make it as close as possible to the real thing? My buddy has a pub and asked me if it would be possible. Thought I'd ask your 2 cents!

Ayrik
03-19-2013, 03:23 AM
If you can rig the sticks up as a USB controller I don't see why not!

JCPRuckus
03-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Definitely, yes. In fact, assuming that MAME has been ported to Android you could probably have every 2D Street Fighter to choose from in its original arcade form. However, there are two possible concerns:

1) If you're using an emulator and displaying in publicly there is the possibility of legal repercussions. I would consult a lawyer.

2) I read an article about an arcade/bar called Beercade (on theverge.com perhaps) that is trying to mix booze with arcade cabinets. In their experience, fighting game enthusiasts and beer enthusiasts are NOT the same crowd. They only really make money off of the booze, and the type of people who take fighting games seriously are not interested in imbibing while they play.

As an example I present professional fighting gamer Sirlin's thesis on the pitiable "Scrub"...

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html...

You will definitely have to deal with some jackasses like this if you set up a Street Fighter cabinet. (To be fair he's got some interesting posts on designing competitive games. It's worth poking around the site even after you see what a jerk he is/was.)

Dreamzle
03-19-2013, 03:34 AM
It's definitely possible, I've made my own mini-arcade cabinet from a mini-PC. For the OUYA, you'd need a monitor in the cabinet that accepted HDMI, and you can get adapters that split the audio off from HDMI for your sound system. The most complicated part would be the controls - probably the easiest way to do controls would be to get a premade setup that emulates an XBox 360 controller like this:

http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-joysticks-and-game-controllers/product/x-arcade-dual-joystick/

and then use an emulator on OUYA that supports XBox 360 controllers. If you wanted to use *real* arcade controls, you'd need something like this:
http://www.ultimarc.com/xbox360.html which hooks up to this: http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

but that's of course more complicated.

As for mixing beer with arcade games, there's a very successful bar in Seattle that's kinda got arcade and pinball games as their theme, Shorty's:
http://www.shortydog.com/

JCPRuckus
03-19-2013, 05:27 AM
As for mixing beer with arcade games, there's a very successful bar in Seattle that's kinda got arcade and pinball games as their theme, Shorty's:
http://www.shortydog.com/

Just for the record, I wasn't suggesting that arcade games wouldn't be a good addition to a pub, just that fighting games in particular are not the best choice.

d_brennen
03-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Dancing games + beer = much hilarity

Fighters/shooters + beer = not so much

Jack_Mcslay
03-20-2013, 11:22 PM
It's definitely possible, I've made my own mini-arcade cabinet from a mini-PC. For the OUYA, you'd need a monitor in the cabinet that accepted HDMI, and you can get adapters that split the audio off from HDMI for your sound system. The most complicated part would be the controls - probably the easiest way to do controls would be to get a premade setup that emulates an XBox 360 controller like this:

http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-joysticks-and-game-controllers/product/x-arcade-dual-joystick/Or you could just buy a couple USB gamepads for U$10 each and piggyback them to the arcade microswitches.

I wonder if there will be many arcade-ready games, with coin-op functionality and all. I've been thinking of doing so to my spape shooter, maybe it would be an actually good idea

Zuckerton
03-30-2013, 02:28 AM
I'm building a computer to use in my Homemade Mame Machine. I wouldn't go with Ouya so much as it may lack the power to run more High-End games.

The XArcade Controllers are definitely the route to go. They're built to handle whatever you throw at it.

Finding an Arcade Cabinet is the difficult part, unless you know someone with one. I'm hoping the local Laundry Mat would be willing to part with their Ms. Pacman cabinet, the damn thing hasn't worked in 20 years.

JCPRuckus
03-30-2013, 04:18 AM
I'm building a computer to use in my Homemade Mame Machine. I wouldn't go with Ouya so much as it may lack the power to run more High-End games.

The XArcade Controllers are definitely the route to go. They're built to handle whatever you throw at it.

Finding an Arcade Cabinet is the difficult part, unless you know someone with one. I'm hoping the local Laundry Mat would be willing to part with their Ms. Pacman cabinet, the damn thing hasn't worked in 20 years.

No idea if you're handy with tools or not, but I'd bet that you could easily build one out of 3-4 sheets of plywood. That way you could easily put on a custom finish to highlight it's one-off nature.

Edit - Just checked out those XArcade sticks... Pretty awesome! Now they just need one with 4 sticks and trackballs. Imagine a 4 player FPS game on arcade sticks with trackball aiming... Sweet... I'll bet most dual-thumbstick games could make that transition. That would make for such epic multiplayer. - Edit

Zuckerton
03-30-2013, 05:40 AM
No idea if you're handy with tools or not, but I'd bet that you could easily build one out of 3-4 sheets of plywood. That way you could easily put on a custom finish to highlight it's one-off nature.

Yea, I've looked into that. I've found diagrams with the measurements and whatnot in case I can't find a cabinet. If I can fin a cabinet, I'll just sand it down and put a custom finish on it.

Jack_Mcslay
03-30-2013, 05:33 PM

Finding an Arcade Cabinet is the difficult part, unless you know someone with one. I'm hoping the local Laundry Mat would be willing to part with their Ms. Pacman cabinet, the damn thing hasn't worked in 20 years.Not really, I bet you can easily find schematics of an arcade cabinet on the internet and hand it to a woodworker to have it made for you. Auction sites are also filled with arcade cabinets if you're willing to cope with the shipping costs.

pete123
04-02-2013, 08:23 AM

I built a Mame cabinet a few years back and I was thinking I might remove the PC and put a Ouya inside instead. I know it's all about bringing back games to the television etc but it seems like the Ouya will have a lot of new classic style games, beat-em ups and button mashing platforms that will play really well on a cabinet and if it can still emulate Galaga and Time Pilot then it seems like a winner. I assume it will also boot a bit faster, be quieter and use less power than the PC.

I'll have to add some extra buttons though. My bench mark for the buttons was NBA Jam so it's only got three per player.

Boingo
03-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

Has anyone built a MAME machine for Ouya yet?

If so, I would like to know what kind of controler was used for it, and any other details I can get.

Killswitch
03-09-2014, 04:23 PM
It's like you hit the wayback machine on this one. From back before I was even a member here.
Well this is your best stick period. http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-joysticks-and-game-controllers/product/x-arcade-dual-joystick/
Someone hired me to build an arcade before. Nice little job.
If you have some handiness you should be able to do it or find yourself an old cab from somewhere. Should be plenty out there.

dra6onfire
03-09-2014, 05:02 PM
I have one running the beta of my Nostalgia launcher and I like it. I got an old cabinet from a skating rink and gutted and modified it. Most of my favorite arcade roms are shooters and I dont have the hardware to support that so I dont run a lot of mame but the rest of the emulators work great for sure. The controls are custom built arcade controls that connect to the internal hardware from some usb controllers. I think its awesome. I have another one that runs on a pc and there is really not any serious performance difference between the two setups.

vadr_h8r
03-10-2014, 12:36 AM
I made an arcade a few years back that 1st ran a Dreamcast with rom discs for all the systems. I then later changed it over to a modded original X-box that ran XBMC. I used a CRT monitor at first then changed over to LCD. As for controllers. I used the X-Arcade Tank Stick. I later sold it all but I would think a Ouya would have worked even better then my X-box setup that I had.
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/Ubu_pics/finishedarcade.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/Ubu_pics/media/finishedarcade.jpg.html)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/Ubu_pics/coindoor.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/Ubu_pics/media/coindoor.jpg.html)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/Ubu_pics/poweredbydreamcast.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/Ubu_pics/media/poweredbydreamcast.jpg.html)

Nitrogen_Widget
03-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I'm planing to build a table top mame using my 32 inch tube TV.
I can throw a table top cab in the corner & throw a tablecloth on it when not using it. :)

I was going to use a Raspberry PI or older PC with TV-out card because of easy TV hookup.
Not really interested in using a widescreen flat panel with MAME just yet.

knave
03-12-2014, 10:52 PM
I have a garage full of old arcade cabinets...I got in to MAME and it led me down the dark path od arcade collecting and restoration. I'm to the point where I have to sell some. Anyone want a Galaga cocktail that's in Nor Cal..

Anyway. Making an OUYA MAME Arcare would be pretty easy...for controls you could use pretty much any USB encoder, one that acts like a 360 or ps3 stick would work well...others might vary a bit. As someone mentioned its just a matter of connecting the switches of the encoder to your control panel and setting it up in the MAME settings.

The easiest Display would be a small HD TV with HDMI and its own speakers.

There are a ton of designs available. and a whole community devoted to this over at my other haunt BYOAC.

PM me if you have questions, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Boingo
03-14-2014, 02:38 AM
How do I test to see if an arcade encoder works with Ouya?

Are there any utilities for testing?

DrunkPunk
03-14-2014, 05:40 AM

I would assume that the vast majority of them would work just fine as all they do is emulate a USB keyboard.

Michael Thompson
03-14-2014, 12:29 PM
I love this idea!

Nitrogen_Widget
03-14-2014, 08:49 PM

You can also just plug a cheap wired gamepad into the ouya and if it works just hack the arcade switches into it.

I'm fixing up a vertical single player cab and using the raspberrypi & wiring the controls directly to the GPIO.
I'm using an old 21" 1024x768 monitor that came with a windows media center setup.
maybe. it keep power cycling.
Looks like bad back light tubes or inverters.
I'm going to test & if so replace with LED backlight.

I replaced the bulging caps a few years ago when someone gave it to me because it didn't work so this isn't too technical a thing for me.

But, if I used an OUYA i'd build a custom 4 player job with 25-30 inch flat panel TV with a 720p resolution.

I played around with the OUYA a bit and tried tekkon 1 - 3.
I could only get one to run using the afterburn alpha core in retroarch & it ran in slow motion.
I don't know if that is because of the core, the rom or because OUYA is scaling it up to 1080.

so i'm not sure if OUYA is up to some of the later 3d games

edit:
thread on XDA about what works with mame4all on android.

Boingo
03-15-2014, 01:18 AM
I have not had any luck finding a cheap wired gamepad that works.

{{EDIT: I am not very woried about later 3D games. I am not interested in them. :peaceful:}}

Nitrogen_Widget
03-15-2014, 01:40 AM
I have not had any luck finding a cheap wired gamepad that works.

{{EDIT: I am not very woried about later 3D games. I am not interested in them. :peaceful:}}

As long as ouya can handle games like Ninja turtles with 4 players.

knave
03-15-2014, 11:17 PM
For a wired gamepad, id stick with a 360 version of some flavor. I know some of the $20 gamestop pads were pretty easy to hack. You can also hack a ouya controller just like ben heck did...but use arcade sticks and buttons.

Nitrogen_Widget
03-17-2014, 01:56 AM
For a wired gamepad, id stick with a 360 version of some flavor. I know some of the $20 gamestop pads were pretty easy to hack. You can also hack a ouya controller just like ben heck did...but use arcade sticks and buttons.

If I were to do that with any wireless gamepad i'd have to also wire power into it directly.

Granted, the batteries I popped into my OUYA controller the week of christmas are still good but it really only gets used once during the week & on the weekends when my kids are here.

knave
03-17-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm pretty sure you could wire 2-3 volts to the controller without trouble. I think 2 AA batteries are on average 2.6v. Ideally you could try 5v from the usb but that would require some testing...add a resistor if you are worried.

The Bluetooth module for the controller is all you would use anyway and all the button solder points are labeled. I'd guess that it can use some easily obtainable power.

Eldon.McGuinness
03-17-2014, 05:38 PM
I think a great idea would be to setup table top systems with the ouya, you could put the monitors under glass or hard plexy and then people could play at their tables and it would very multiplayer friendly.

:-) Just a thought

Killswitch
03-17-2014, 06:49 PM
I think a great idea would be to setup table top systems with the ouya, you could put the monitors under glass or hard plexy and then people could play at their tables and it would very multiplayer friendly.

:-) Just a thought

That's an idea. I built a few of those for people but I could make one that's actually man sized.
Buy friends, make a table top arcade where I don't have do a full lean to play. Thanks for the new battle plan :D

OuyaBrew
03-22-2014, 09:40 PM
We have not done this but there is a video that might help you figure this out - http://ouyabrew.com/x-arcade-joystick/

timmytot666
03-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Id play with you ks. No monies needed.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Killswitch
03-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Id play with you ks. No monies needed.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2
Thanks because might run out of cash on 4 arcade sticks :p
Though for 4 player action you might need to do separate stations, which is still a cool idea.

Steven7
03-26-2014, 11:45 PM
I want to do this project with my lady, I want to see pictures of a OUYA version, OMG that dreamcast cabinet is sweet man !!

Man dragonfire Nostalgia would be awesome with it

And knave I'm from Nor Cal lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadow1w2
03-27-2014, 10:19 AM
I so want to build me an arcade cabinet but I never seem to have the resources at the right time.

Ive had one idea for an Ouya cabinet where the ouya is placed in a slot in the front which connects to a buncha connectors wired to all the parts etc.
Have a flat desk like surface and a screen attached to a back wall with maybe a fancy marquee on top and a small lamp.
Kind of a simple idea with a way for anyone to just plug in their Ouya and play.
Some small flaws I'm sure but its an idea I thought I'd share.

Its small enough it could work.
Like imagine those arcade cabinets with memory card slots (n64/gamecube/dreamcast/ps2?) except instead of memory cards use an Ouya xD
Eh, connectors might get easily busted but I like the idea.
Perhaps I'll try a mock up later.

Nitrogen_Widget
03-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Nice instructable for a cabinet out of a sheet of plywood.

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Super-Easy-Arcade-Machine-from-1-Sheet-of-Plywoo/

Then DX.com for a cheap ps3 compatible controller & some cheap arcade controls.

Killswitch
03-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Nice instructable for a cabinet out of a sheet of plywood.

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Super-Easy-Arcade-Machine-from-1-Sheet-of-Plywoo/

Then DX.com for a cheap ps3 compatible controller & some cheap arcade controls.
If that thing isn't weighted, I'd knock it over...1 sheet is too flimsy if you ask me

joshuartaylor
03-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Started working on mine this week...I've had the cabinet, which I finally stripped down and put back together. The X-Arcade controller works perfect once mapped. I had a nice monitor that fit perfectly in the cabinet, though my intention is to add a larger TV for the rest of my consoles.

OUYA is literally the coolest and EASIEST way to get a cabinet up and running in NO TIME (though another user commented its power is not heavy enough for games like MK4, KI, etc).

Nothing like STANDING UP in front of a giant wooden box with a TV in it that snaps you back to 1990. TMNT, Punisher, MoonWalker, SunSet Riders, The Simpsons...My list goes on!

Obviously this still is under going construction...I just couldn't resist the urge to rock it out early...

I have a grand vision though...and a lot of things to stuff inside!

http://unorthodoxproductions.com/images/156.JPG

Nitrogen_Widget
03-29-2014, 07:10 PM
If that thing isn't weighted, I'd knock it over...1 sheet is too flimsy if you ask me

1/2" ply would be if it wasn't something like cabinet grade.
Layering some Douglas fir even will increase the rigidity of 1/2 ply.
also ups the cost a little.

You'd have to go with 3/4" plywood.

And yeah I could see it getting knocked over playing mortal kombat or something where your jerking the sticks around.

Killswitch
03-29-2014, 11:56 PM
1/2" ply would be if it wasn't something like cabinet grade.
Layering some Douglas fir even will increase the rigidity of 1/2 ply.
also ups the cost a little.

You'd have to go with 3/4" plywood.

And yeah I could see it getting knocked over playing mortal kombat or something where your jerking the sticks around.

At 1/2"...cabinet grade birch or even marine plywood if you want to spend the change...still can't see it being that strong if it's one sheet. I could be wrong but I don't see it. Even when I do concrete or stone countertops, I never use less than 3/4" unless requested. Once those start to warp you're screwed. 3/4" will do a little better but still screwed. Any arcade cabinet I did was with 3/4" particleboard subfloor which most are made from.

I'm old school and use tenon and mortise construction where possible, strongest joint you'll get. I build entry doors like that.

But no matter what possible configuration I come up with, still doesn't seem like it would be sturdy enough unless you have the most docile person who won't be jerking, hitting, kicking, etc.

Personally I wouldn't use 1/2" for anything that gets heavy use, I'd even use 3/4" MDF before I use 1/2" ply.

Like I said, I could be wrong but can't see it being sturdy.

Eucrow
03-30-2014, 04:07 PM
3/4" MDF might be okay since its so dense (heavy) and doesn't warp.

Nitrogen_Widget
03-31-2014, 06:07 PM
Started working on mine this week...I've had the cabinet, which I finally stripped down and put back together. The X-Arcade controller works perfect once mapped. I had a nice monitor that fit perfectly in the cabinet, though my intention is to add a larger TV for the rest of my consoles.

OUYA is literally the coolest and EASIEST way to get a cabinet up and running in NO TIME (though another user commented its power is not heavy enough for games like MK4, KI, etc).

Nothing like STANDING UP in front of a giant wooden box with a TV in it that snaps you back to 1990. TMNT, Punisher, MoonWalker, SunSet Riders, The Simpsons...My list goes on!

Obviously this still is under going construction...I just couldn't resist the urge to rock it out early...

I have a grand vision though...and a lot of things to stuff inside!

Is that a wide screen monitor or a standard?
I can't tell from the angle.
It doesn't look 16:9
is it 16:10?

I tried hooking my OUYA up to a 4:3 via hdmi to DVI adaptor.
It wasn't pretty.

knave
04-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Hey, that's great!. Be wary once your cab is playable your likelihood of finishing it becomes less. ;)

Some questions:
Are you going to build a marquee for it? Coin door? and any thoughts about building your own CP? (control panel)

littletinmangames
04-01-2014, 05:50 PM
If this cab gets up and running! I'll specifically map a control setting for the cabinet so that it feels right on the cabinet!

I love arcade cabinets! Actually just picked up one of those bluetooth mini ones for the iPhone. Pacman is so fun on that thing!

joshuartaylor
04-11-2014, 02:35 AM
Is that a wide screen monitor or a standard?
I can't tell from the angle.
It doesn't look 16:9
is it 16:10?

I tried hooking my OUYA up to a 4:3 via hdmi to DVI adaptor.
It wasn't pretty.

It's Wide...as well as the TV I plan to use. The monitor is 23 inches...Fits PERFECT. The 30 inch TV though...will require something else

I'm curious to see what you used for your conversion...I wanted to try to get my OUYA into my standard projector, no HDMI input :(

Hey, that's great!. Be wary once your cab is playable your likelihood of finishing it becomes less. ;)

Some questions:
Are you going to build a marquee for it? Coin door? and any thoughts about building your own CP? (control panel)

I've had this vision for 10 years now...so, the ball is at least in motion ;)

I have a nice cabnet door I plan on adding to the front, rebuild the coin drop into that (don't plan on making it functional...but perhaps turn them into the power switch). I'll be widening the opening and adding shelves inside. I have a PSX, PS2, PSP, XBOX, DREAMCAST, and a WII...along with a nice stereo receiver...and a HDMI Laptop. All going to get stuffed inside for the ultimate arcade stand. Trying to turn the basement into a usable space. This defiantly helps cut the clutter and free up some muchly needed desk space.

I may have a friend print out some custom sides for me...or may just paint it myself. I'd like to just make a nice little OUYA marquee, I think would be cool. Maybe a cool gun metal finish.

As far as a new joystick...yea, it'll be in my thoughts to rip open the x-arcade and rebuild my own top...I wouldn't mind a little elbow room, personal bubble zone...It is a little cramped, though the x-arcade slipped right in and didn't need anything to secure. I did have to cut holes to get to the side buttons...but that'll get fixed with the cosmetics.

Merged your posts. Please re-read the forums rules about double posting. - SLUUP

ajb999
04-11-2014, 07:00 AM
This is the a prototype my brother and I have started working on.

http://i.imgur.com/b6Pl0kf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gIJVmhO.jpg

DrunkPunk
04-11-2014, 07:06 AM

http://i.imgur.com/b6Pl0kf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gIJVmhO.jpg

Looking good! Nice wide cab and CP with plenty of elbow room. Is the CP functioning with the OUYA fine? What did you use for the interface?

Also, welcome to the forum! :D

Killswitch
04-11-2014, 07:14 AM

Lookin good, had to get your pics in the post instead of hidden by links.

Welcome to the forum, but you can't have those pics and no info.

rosse119
04-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Pure epicness of the highest calibre right there :P

How did you link up the controls?

ajb999
04-11-2014, 10:31 PM
The controls all work with the ouya. At least with any games that only requires one joystick. We are currently adding a second one. I'll include a pic of our first setup that we are planning on using with 2 joysticks. It's functional now we just have to finalize our layout and move stuff around just a bit to get both 1p and 2p to fit on the size top we want. We used 2 HID to USB boards and wired up all the buttons and joysticks. Added a config file that the ouya loads when it boots to get our gamepad to recognize correctly. Using a 32" 720p lcd on this currently. May use a a 1080p one next time but couldn't find anything local that wasn't twice the price of this one. We've got the stuff needed to add 2 usb slots to the front or top of the control box for usb sticks or usb controllers as well as a cool cover that will give you access to the ouya button. There will also be a cubby with a door on the lower front, possibly will look like coin slots(non functioning), with 3 more usb ports inside as well as some outlets so you can hook up an external HD, battery charger, store controllers, etc. Just need to find the time to finish it. Definitely a lot of fun to play the way it is already.

Sorry about the bad pic. Using phone and not the best lighting in the garage.
http://i.imgur.com/KivdfHW.jpg

Nitrogen_Widget
04-12-2014, 04:26 AM
It's Wide...as well as the TV I plan to use. The monitor is 23 inches...Fits PERFECT. The 30 inch TV though...will require something else

I'm curious to see what you used for your conversion...I wanted to try to get my OUYA into my standard projector, no HDMI input :(

I've had this vision for 10 years now...so, the ball is at least in motion ;)

I have a nice cabnet door I plan on adding to the front, rebuild the coin drop into that (don't plan on making it functional...but perhaps turn them into the power switch). I'll be widening the opening and adding shelves inside. I have a PSX, PS2, PSP, XBOX, DREAMCAST, and a WII...along with a nice stereo receiver...and a HDMI Laptop. All going to get stuffed inside for the ultimate arcade stand. Trying to turn the basement into a usable space. This defiantly helps cut the clutter and free up some muchly needed desk space.

I may have a friend print out some custom sides for me...or may just paint it myself. I'd like to just make a nice little OUYA marquee, I think would be cool. Maybe a cool gun metal finish.

As far as a new joystick...yea, it'll be in my thoughts to rip open the x-arcade and rebuild my own top...I wouldn't mind a little elbow room, personal bubble zone...It is a little cramped, though the x-arcade slipped right in and didn't need anything to secure. I did have to cut holes to get to the side buttons...but that'll get fixed with the cosmetics.

Merged your posts. Please re-read the forums rules about double posting. - SLUUP

This is where I am at right now.

http://renovationplanet.com/gallery/var/resizes/Arcade-Cabinet-resto/side.jpg?m=1395283548

I'm going to pop it on it's side so I can let the graffiti remover do it's work better. Berzerk cab will just be awesome.
I plan to build a steel control panel, buff it up real nice then clear coat it & put royal blue leds underneath so it lights up around the dust washers for the joysticks.
Plan to do the same with the tackball.
Will probably not do that to the buttons.

http://renovationplanet.com/gallery/var/resizes/Arcade-Cabinet-resto/cabinet1.jpg?m=1394999779

Right now i've got a 21" 4:3 lcd monitor with a bad backlight i'm going to attempt to retrofit with LED strips.
if that don't work i'll buy a 20" tube TV from the salvation army for $15 or if i'm feeling overly ambitious & a bit dangerous i'll buy a 25 or 27" tube tv and pull the case off it and mount it like an old style arcade display however I think it will be too big for the cab so probably won't go that big.

I wish I could use an ouya with notstalgia just to simplfy the hardware part of it but I really want some golden tee action & i'm not sure mame works with the mouse & My cabinet can only fit a decent sized wide screen vertically which would need to be a 26" TV so I don't loose width for my games.
But, ouya doesn't rotate the screen which makes sense to me considering what it was made to do. :)

ajb999
04-12-2014, 05:19 PM
This is where I am at right now.
I'm going to pop it on it's side so I can let the graffiti remover do it's work better. Berzerk cab will just be awesome.
I plan to build a steel control panel, buff it up real nice then clear coat it & put royal blue leds underneath so it lights up around the dust washers for the joysticks.
Plan to do the same with the tackball.
Will probably not do that to the buttons.
strips.
if that don't work i'll buy a 20" tube TV from the salvation army for $15 or if i'm feeling overly ambitious & a bit dangerous i'll buy a 25 or 27" tube tv and pull the case off it and mount it like an old style arcade display however I think it will be too big for the cab so probably won't go that big.

I wish I could use an ouya with notstalgia just to simplfy the hardware part of it but I really want some golden tee action & i'm not sure mame works with the mouse & My cabinet can only fit a decent sized wide screape en vertically which would need to be a 26" TV so I don't loose width for my games.
But, ouya doesn't rotate the screen which makes sense to me considering what it was made to do. :)

That will be sweet! Definitely a cool project. Your cabinet looks to be in good shape and mostly everything is there. We would have loved to have an actual arcade cabinet to start with but only thing local is $500+ and anything further away kills with shipping. It will be really cool with a trackball. We thought about using one or two but couldn't fit it in our layout. We are designing the control box so the top is removable. This way there's the possibility for alternate layouts. It only has the 2 USB cords connected to it so it will be very easy to switch. What are you using for the actual system hardware and software?

Killswitch
04-14-2014, 06:19 AM
We would have loved to have an actual arcade cabinet to start with but only thing local is $500+ and anything further away kills with shipping.

When you don't have one of us carpenter types around there is always a way to get an empty. But yeah, around 500 unless you find a collector or old amusement company who's liquidating.
Here is a place for new empties, just put it together. http://www.recroommasters.com/x_arcade_p/rm-xt-arc-t.htm
But if you're in Florida you can get some for $50 [they don't ship anymore] http://thearcadeboneyard.com/empty_cabinets.php

ajb999
04-15-2014, 05:01 PM
That's crazy how many cabinets that site has. I would love to have a place like that around here. Too bad it's on the opposite corner of the US. That MK3 cabinet would be a very easy and low cost project. I saw on an earlier post where it said the OUYA wouldn't handle MK4 or Killer Instinct. Just wanted to let people know it's possible. I've had MK4 running fine on psx emu and Mame. Also had KI running on psx. Only emu I've really had trouble with is a few games on N64 for some reason.

Here's a few videos of it in action. The lighting is bad in the garage at night so they are not the best quality.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf4QKxaYyU1Vit3QZ5ErU2g

knave
04-15-2014, 06:17 PM
If you watch craigslist depending on your area you can find old arcade cabinets for pretty cheap. I got a few, usually around $50-$150.
If you have basic woodworking skills or the willingness to learn you can build your own...their are several plans available.

My problem was I bought a cheap old working arcade cabinet with the intent to mod it but ended liking it so much I kept it as is.

Nitrogen_Widget
04-16-2014, 02:58 PM
If you watch craigslist depending on your area you can find old arcade cabinets for pretty cheap. I got a few, usually around $50-$150.
If you have basic woodworking skills or the willingness to learn you can build your own...their are several plans available.

My problem was I bought a cheap old working arcade cabinet with the intent to mod it but ended liking it so much I kept it as is.

I picked mine up for free yrs ago.
I connected with someone on a local mame site who just gave it to me.

People on craigs list are kinda delusional though around here with their prices.
At least to someone like me who can just build their own.
and I most likely will build more from scratch just because you gotta have a dedicated horizontal cab, dedicated vert cab, dedicated 4 player cab.....ugh.. LOL!

knave
04-16-2014, 05:13 PM
... you gotta have a dedicated horizontal cab, dedicated vert cab, dedicated 4 player cab.....ugh.. LOL!

Time to build that 4 player rotating cab... ;-D

itaparcade.com
04-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Check out 4 player arcade setup with OUYA. Will blog about how to create this soon. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r4NUu-FTwrs

Killswitch
04-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Check out 4 player arcade setup with OUYA. Will blog about how to create this soon. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r4NUu-FTwrs
You and your fancy ass animations :p

Looks good, interested to see your notes.

Nitrogen_Widget
04-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Time to build that 4 player rotating cab... ;-D

32" hdtv at walmart is $170.
That's plenty big for a 4 player pedestal mame cab.
I could see myself using an OUYA with nostalgia as the front end powering that.

But, i've decided that will be my winter project for next summer.
A modular arcade cabinet with a built in flat panel TV powered by a tiny android box would be ideal for my back porch when I have people over in the summer as opposed a big heavy one piece cabinet.
Much easier to move in & out of the house.

ajb999
04-19-2014, 05:36 PM
We have built a modular arcade. We haven't got as far as paint yet but it's built and fully functional. It is basically built like our control box for our full size arcade as far button layout and size/shape but with everything self contained. The only thing running out is the hdmi cable and power cord. We have dealt with the cables in 2 different ways. One way is to run the cables as one until the end where they split into 2 pig tails. Everyone has an outlet by their TV. The second way is to have the cables ran separately. Hdmi to the TV and power cord to wherever you want it. Pretty nice for a portable arcade. Just plug into any hdmi TV and you're good to go. Games and everything all in one. We are working on a way to be able to store 2 controllers in it as well for transport. Granted, it's not the smallest system. But 39" x 16" will fit fine in even the smallest trunk or back seat.

Just wanted to mention that we have added the second joystick and 2 buttons by each joystick to make our control boxes as compatible with ouya games as possible. We started this project with emulation in mind but there's plenty of ouya games that are fun to play and wanted to be able to play any game on our arcade without having to pick up an ouya controller.

ajb999
04-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Finally got the control box painted. Just need to install the clear acrylic top and paint the cabinet. Also waiting on some light blue t-molding. Kinda cool how the OUYA power button glows on the front of the control box but it's hard to see in the pic. May add another led to make it brighter. We haven't decided if we're gonna switch to all led buttons either. We have some arduino boards coming that we may switch in for the boards we are currently using. Could add some cool lighting effects with one of them. Also have a small 16x2 LCD screen with buttons we are thinking of incorporating to be able to have the option of selecting through different button presets for different Roms or games. We could be done by now but there's just too many options to explore and it's way to fun to play. I'm very interested in thoughts and ideas on this project.

http://i.imgur.com/oWjmZ5v.jpg

Steven7
04-27-2014, 04:57 PM
^ soo epic man, wonderful wonderful job indeed, that work is inspirational

Suddar The Great
04-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Looks kick ass!!!!

ajb999
05-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Started painting. Starting to look good and the tmolding should really set it off once it's installed.

http://i.imgur.com/Lufjn96.jpg

Aaron Mallory
05-04-2014, 07:09 PM
awesome! get all the emulaters on it, it'll be the most epic arcade machine!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

ajb999
05-05-2014, 04:14 PM
awesome! get all the emulaters on it, it'll be the most epic arcade machine!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

We've got all the emulators running on it and they work great with our custom controls. It's really fun being able to play all the old arcade and gaming system games on arcade controls. Our controls are actually more responsive with no lag compared to the ouya controller when running emus. Makes sense though since they're USB. We've got a some vids and pics on our Google+ page.

https://plus.google.com/+BurdbroscustomarcadeUs

Downing
05-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Nice work guys! That's a pretty slick cab you go there!

Killswitch
05-06-2014, 05:38 AM
ajb, any other plans for the outside? Logo? Picture? Graffiti? Sticker?
Looks good so far, really good. Looks very similar to the last one I built.

ajb999
05-06-2014, 06:34 PM
We are thinking about doing a vinyl wrap. Either that or paint/airbrush. Haven't really decided on what we want to do as far as graphics yet. We are going to do some sort of logo on the top of the control box as well as a thin sheet of clear acrylic for protection. We have thought about adding a lit marquee but not sure whether to go that route or just vinyl/paint to match the rest. Also we have plans to add a cubby kind of thing in the front with a flush closing door. It will be nice for a place to store controllers as well as have at least 4 USB ports and 4 outlets built into it for plugging in flash drives, HD, battery charger, USB controllers, etc.

ajb999
06-07-2014, 06:10 PM
We finally found the time and got the tmolding dry fit. Just need to pull it off and then glue it on. We decided not to do any of the stuff mentioned above to this one except for plexi on the cp and possible a vinyl wrap. The next one will have everything as we have all the parts necessary to do it. We have also built a test 4 player cp. We still need to drill the player and start button holes for each player. Just waiting on the buttons and joysticks for it. We also ordered new hardware for our 2 player cp so we can have all led buttons. The pic of the 4 player top is a mock up with the buttons just sitting in it.

http://i.imgur.com/Tjmh9of.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/G1XTQ5V.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/88HofUr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UVwMwYR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LRIu4cg.jpg

Steven7
06-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Just wow. I subscribed to the YouTube account as well. This is just simply a MASTERPIECE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Killswitch
06-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Lookin good

derty
06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Honestly looks amazing man. Excellent work. How does the back look with cables? :D

ajb999
06-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Pretty minimal as far as wires. Almost all of them are contained in the cp except the two power cords and the HDMI running to the TV. In the future we will probably make the cabinets less deep to save on wasted space and weight. Just don't want it to look goofy by making it too shalllow. Will also hit the inside with a light coat of paint even though it most likely won't be visible since it will be pushed up against a wall. Give it more of a finished look.

The OUYA would work perfect for a tabletop arcade because of its size.

http://i.imgur.com/naVMkTM.jpg

ajb999
07-17-2014, 06:08 AM
We started on another cabinet. This one is gonna be the similar to the other one except it will have a dedicated 4 player cp. It is not as deep either to make it easier to fit through doorways and down stairs. We are also adding some other features. There will be a coin door with storage behind it including 4 USB slots and outlets for hardrives, flashdrives, battery charger, etc. A lit marquee. The board there now is just a placeholder. This one is made out of MDF which will make the finished product look even nicer than our first one. It's so much easier to work with than press board and has a cleaner look. Another hour or so and it should be ready for paint. White paint w/ custom graphics and medium dark green t-moldimg. We also have everything to build a small bartop 2p model once this one is done. Here are a few pics of our progress so far.

http://i.imgur.com/2srWYHf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vlTrtNy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rNzDjm5.jpg

DrunkPunk
07-17-2014, 06:39 AM
Excellent work! I'm especially keen on seeing the bartop version. What size screen will you drop into this one? Also, what size are you contemplating for the bartop?

ajb999
07-17-2014, 04:29 PM
The full size cab will have a 32" 1080p in it. We are also gonna get a piece of plexi to put in front and black out the sides so only the screen on the TV will be visible. Will do this with the bartop as well.

The bartop it will probably be 20" W x 30" T x 21" D. Still deciding on exact plans. We have a 19" screen for it. Will probably do a 6 button/player layout with a button on either side for pinball. We want to keep it light as possible so it is easy to move around.

Both of these projects will most likely get speakers mounted on the underside of the marquee area so the can be used as jukeboxes. Just need to find a reasonably priced amp/receiver solution.

Steven7
07-17-2014, 09:30 PM
nice another awesome cabinet! I'm sure it will be BREATHTAKING again

I was at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago and seen this, first thing i was thinking that it was custom but it's not, thought it would be pretty cool with a OUYA EVERYWHERE type of deal on it

http://i61.tinypic.com/2gtuemv.jpg

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/icade

ajb999
07-18-2014, 12:48 AM
I was thinking about building one like that for my 2nd generation nexus 7 since I got the ouya launcher and framework running on it. Wouldn't take long to build. Hopefully will have some time for the working on all projects this weekend.

ajb999
07-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Got a little work done this morning. The the storage compartment is going to turn out really nice. We have it set up so a light comes on inside it when you open the coin door. The USB ports are just sitting in place is why they look a little crooked. Don't mind all the dust.

http://i.imgur.com/2q6CoVq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3cmNkwu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9e3puqN.jpg

ajb999
09-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Waiting for the graphics.

http://i.imgur.com/gZETNbc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VGL0ZDX.jpg

Warzard
09-11-2014, 11:34 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/BL01fbzjlO4OQ/giphy.gif

It's beautiful!