PDA

View Full Version : Should you be able to buy the ouya pre-rooted?

Kaleb Fritch
03-17-2013, 09:06 PM
My answer to this question is yes, so that game designers like me can just hop in and start coding and experimenting with the systems full capabilities. What do you think?

JCPRuckus
03-18-2013, 01:29 AM
I don't think that it's going to be particularly difficult to root the OUYA. If you're tech savvy, I'm thinking it'll be a 15 minute deal at most. Therefore, I don't really see the point.

Kaleb Fritch
03-18-2013, 02:11 AM
I don't think that it's going to be particularly difficult to root the OUYA. If you're tech savvy, I'm thinking it'll be a 15 minute deal at most. Therefore, I don't really see the point.

True, however, what if the developer just wants to hop in and see the capabilities of the system and doesn't feel like rooting it, I'm just saying it would be a nice option to have. (Sorry if that felt harsh, I didn't mean it to be)

JCPRuckus
03-18-2013, 07:26 AM
I understand that it would be nice, but considering how easy it has been promised to be it doesn't seem like it'd be worth the extra overhead of keeping 2 SKUs instead of one. Does it make sense for Boxer8 to spend 10% (I have no idea what the actual number is, but it's not zero) more on warehousing and distribution to save what is likely less than 10% of their customers 10-15 minutes?

Or how about the additional customer service costs from the occasional person who accidentally gets sent a rooted one and doesn't understand why they can't access the store? Keeping more than one product separated and organized is considerably harder than keeping track of just one. All it takes is one inattentive/tired/lazy employee to cause a 1000 customer service calls (i.e.,bad customer experiences) by putting a couple cartons in the wrong pile.

Basically, it's significantly more trouble for the company to offer a pre-rooted model than it is to just make it easy for you to root it on your own. It'd be nice if they could, but it wouldn't really make sense financially.

d_brennen
03-18-2013, 07:46 AM
What John said. Also, anyone needing root really should be able to root the device themselves... I find it implausible to think otherwise and quite frankly this person needing root, but who is unable to spend 10 minutes following easy instruction, really shouldn't be messing about with a rooted Android device in the first place :p

Kaleb Fritch
03-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Ahh, true, very very true (I wouldn't buy one myself seeing as though I've rooted many phones, tablets, iPods, etc.) So I'm sure it wouldn't be too complex to figure out