PDA

View Full Version : Should "Our Founders" Be Removed?

RiotingSpectre
05-17-2015, 01:21 AM
I was looking through Discover lately and noticed that I've always had this disdain for the section mentioned in the title. It never changes because there aren't that many founders releasing anything and it's a waste of space that could be used more better things. Granted, the new update is going to hit, but I fear that this section will remain. Do you guys think that this section needs to be removed? Sure, it's nice that the founders are getting some love, but they're not above anyone else in the grand scheme of things as it will only serve to create a divide.

Warzard
05-17-2015, 01:28 AM
I was kind of thinking the same thing when I was browsing that section the other day. Maybe it could be more of a showcase where you click on a developer and it shows their games. I was trying to find all the Handygames that were on OUYA, seeing their icon and clicking it would have made it a lot easier.

xAD
05-17-2015, 04:22 AM
I never even knew what this section was. Games from devs who Kickstarted OUYA, perhaps? If so, its time has certainly run its course. There's no reason to be waving that banner any more, OUYA is not a brand new product.

Rhellik
05-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Wasn't the section to be only for one year after release? Don't remember exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sconfig
05-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Well, a lot of time has passed and unless Ouya intends to re-open the doors for 'more' founders which would usually have to follow the sound of words relentlessly flying out from marketing people until I feel the ground gravitate towards my face. It probably should sunset gracefully. I usually skip right past it for the new games, updated games, and I'll spend a few seconds looking at the beta catagory which never seems to change.

Schizophretard
05-17-2015, 09:48 AM
I think they should be kept but have the fist icon where they put the external storage and monetization icons. And maybe put them in a genre. Only on OUYA should be a genre too. Basically any row that doesn't dynamically change like Trending Now, Newly Updated, New Releases, and Sales/Bundles does but are very static instead should be put into genres with the genre bar at the bottom. At the very very least the static rows should be O-Ranked to make them more dynamic. That was how it was back when the library was low and they all showed TowerFall but the library is huge, so I don't think that would be a problem now. If it still would be then put them in new genres. Only the useful dynamic information is needed in the open. We gain nothing new and useful from the static rows. It is just clutter. I rather have multiple rows of dev chosen playlists than that crap.

Jeffry84
05-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Honestly I even forgot it was there, I usually look only the O-rank, new releases and recently updated. Sometimes also at sales/bundles, but that's all.

Schizophretard
05-17-2015, 10:09 AM
Honestly I even forgot it was there, I usually look only the O-rank, new releases and recently updated. Sometimes also at sales/bundles, but that's all.

Exactly! Dynamic rows! :)

Pat1986
05-17-2015, 11:33 AM
I bet a "Ouyaforums Toplist of the Month" would be way more attractive. ;)

timmytot666
05-17-2015, 03:41 PM
What pat said. Get rid of Founders in lou of Ouya exclusive.

Foppy
05-17-2015, 09:17 PM
As a tool for selecting particular games or types of games the "founders" category seems not as useful as other categories.

I can imagine they keep it there as a way of saying "so above you have these useful categories containing all our games, but wait, let us show you how it all started and who were there". Like a museum or historical reference.

So I won't go out on the streets shouting "that category should be removed" but I also will not cry (not for very long at least) if it were removed, for instance to make the interface more compact.

Schizophretard
05-18-2015, 09:59 AM
As a tool for selecting particular games or types of games the "founders" category seems not as useful as other categories.

I can imagine they keep it there as a way of saying "so above you have these useful categories containing all our games, but wait, let us show you how it all started and who were there". Like a museum or historical reference.

So I won't go out on the streets shouting "that category should be removed" but I also will not cry (not for very long at least) if it were removed, for instance to make the interface more compact.

I think it is suppose to be a way to feature and promote them but I think they could still do that and do it better with what I already suggested.

Starfighter
05-22-2015, 04:32 PM
I do like the idea of having a playlist that's decided monthly by OUYA Forums but that's pretty much what the o-rank is, but on a slightly larger scale. If anything I think they should do a "[name of OUYA gamer]'s playlist". Sort of like what they are already doing with "important" people (I guess most of them are devs?) but at the same time include us mortals. But I wouldn't mind that section going completely in favor of an even more tidy interface.

A bit off topic, but related:
Oh, and by the way, in PLAY (this time I won't mention my long time dream of having custom folders in it, except now I did... and... yeah), I would love to see both a Favorites AND a Want to buy. Right now I'm using favorites to remind me of older games I love that I'm not playing as much anymore, so even if they won't show up in the first section (recently played) they do show. But I have been marking a few games I haven't bought yet as favorites as well to remember them. And that is a bit... messy. So, what I would like is something like this:

RECENTLY PLAYED
[GAME] [GAME] [GAME]

FAVORITES
[GAME] [GAME] [GAME]

WANT TO BUY
[GAME] [GAME] [GAME]

And then of course keep the "recently downloaded" and "bought" and that jazz. They are really useful.

And I would also like if every PLAY section also had a "Starfighter's seal of approval" playlist. Because I know what's best for every gamer.

RiotingSpectre
05-22-2015, 06:55 PM
I do like the idea of having a playlist that's decided monthly by OUYA Forums but that's pretty much what the o-rank is, but on a slightly larger scale. If anything I think they should do a "[name of OUYA gamer]'s playlist". Sort of like what they are already doing with "important" people (I guess most of them are devs?) but at the same time include us mortals. But I wouldn't mind that section going completely in favor of an even more tidy interface.

A bit off topic, but related:
Oh, and by the way, in PLAY (this time I won't mention my long time dream of having custom folders in it, except now I did... and... yeah), I would love to see both a Favorites AND a Want to buy. Right now I'm using favorites to remind me of older games I love that I'm not playing as much anymore, so even if they won't show up in the first section (recently played) they do show. But I have been marking a few games I haven't bought yet as favorites as well to remember them. And that is a bit... messy. So, what I would like is something like this:

RECENTLY PLAYED
[GAME] [GAME] [GAME]

FAVORITES
[GAME] [GAME] [GAME]

WANT TO BUY
[GAME] [GAME] [GAME]

And then of course keep the "recently downloaded" and "bought" and that jazz. They are really useful.

And I would also like if every PLAY section also had a "Starfighter's seal of approval" playlist. Because I know what's best for every gamer.

Sounds sort of like my first idea I submitted in this section (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?6973-Discover-Wish-List-amp-Shopping-Cart).

Starfighter
05-22-2015, 09:25 PM
It sure does! I guess since the suggestion has been around for two years and it still hasn't been implemented it's not going to happen. But is it something I've learnt this week it's never say never.