PDA

View Full Version : [Staff Review] The Killswitch Report: Broken Pearl by Wide Pixel Games

Killswitch
03-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Broken Pearl
http://s26.postimg.org/4w5w50gyh/brokepearl.png
Broken Pearl by Wide Pixel Games does a lot right but they also do a few things wrong. Let's start with the good.

The Good - Broken Pearl is an old school SHMUP similar to Raiden, 1942 and others. You have a choice of ships which have different shot patterns, one is straight ahead and the other is a spread shot. There are basic power ups and side pods but nothing that truly stands out. Broken Pearl also has an online leaderboard which adds a little fun as you try to beat other OUYA peoples. The music in Broken Pearl is standard fare for SHMUPS from the late 80s/early 90s. Then there is the biggest plus of them all....THE GAME IS FREE.

The Bad - The side panels are HUGE, making the screen somewhat small and enemies can go out of your visual range. At the beginning of the stage you have a choice of things you want to accomplish in the stage and then you get a reward if you achieve it. The problem here is that most of the options are bland and not even worth giving a second look. Another issue is the washed out color which may or may not be on purpose BUT it can make exploding enemies look like shots coming at you.

**Color blindness disclaimer - It is very easy to lose track of shots because they blend into the background and when enemies explode they can be mistaken for shots.

The game is free so you don't lose anything by giving it a try. The game is solid and its positives outweigh the bad. Plus it's free.

I'm going to give the game a 3 out of 5 shuriken rating.
http://s26.postimg.org/hp2qd1qe1/3star.png

RiotingSpectre
03-14-2015, 07:35 PM
I didn't know this game existed so I looked it up thanks to your review. The visuals really seem okay for us non-colorblind people. Maybe I'll check it out if it's free.

Killswitch
03-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Like most games, it came out in secret and no one knew about it. While it's a free game, there could have been more promotional effort to get people playing the game. It might be easier on the eyes to someone who's eyes don't burn from staring at red and green but I would have given the game a bit more color or something. It does look completely washed out.

RiotingSpectre
03-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Like most games, it came out in secret and no one knew about it. While it's a free game, there could have been more promotional effort to get people playing the game. It might be easier on the eyes to someone who's eyes don't burn from staring at red and green but I would have given the game a bit more color or something. It does look completely washed out.

Yeah, I saw a trailer of it and it has too much grey. Furthermore, it borrows sounds from Godzilla... The fuck...

Kaimega
03-15-2015, 03:33 PM

Doesn't the entire game take place underwater?

Killswitch
03-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Yes but the colors...there could be so much more done with the color.