PDA

View Full Version : [Staff Review] RiotingSpectre's God of Blades Review

RiotingSpectre
03-13-2015, 04:24 PM
God of Blades was originally hosted on Kickstarter.com where its funding goal was a modest $4000. It was successfully funded on December 20th, 2011 and many were excited for its release. However, when it finally did get released, it got shunned in favor of other games released around the same time. Is this game a buried treasure, or does God of Blades slice through the competition? Find out for this is the God of Blades review.

http://s17.postimg.org/ca0yq8cq7/223.png

Story:

There's not much complexity in regards to God of Blades' story. You control a revived warrior that is referred to as The Nameless King who must stop a threat that is putting the world in a state of peril. You venture forth while destroying armies and eventually succeed in your goal. It's very vanilla, but the fact that the player is shown all of the story through beautiful cutscenes and incredible artwork really makes the execution squeak by with modest success.

Aside from the main story, you're also given the chance to recover the memory's of The Nameless King by acquiring more swords. You can acquire more throughout your quest, and by doing so you're given a backstory for each unlocked sword. This is nice, but it it would have been better to restore the actual memories of The Nameless King since he's the last remaining hope. Some of your foes are also given backstory, though they're naturally given less emphasis than everything else.

Overall, there's a lot of narration going on, but the fact that there's not a lot work with means that it everything stretches out over the course of the entire game. Furthermore, God of Blades has a bad habit of conveying what it does through cryptic speech patterns that are hard to decipher. These problems including the fact that there isn't much to be had in other areas such as The Nameless King himself feels a tad lazy and in the end a missed opportunity.

Gameplay & Controls:

The gameplay within God of Blades can be described as mixture of reflex and rhythm. You control The Nameless King on the ground and must fight enemy after enemy by swinging your sword, parrying, blocking, and activating your sword's special ability if it has one. There are multiple ways to attack your target, but choosing the incorrect ones will warrant getting hit. It's all about anticipating what your target is going to do and reacting appropriately which sounds difficult, but God of Blades is easy to play thanks to the game's tight controls.

Continuing on, the enemies are plentiful in variety. Some wield axes that are slow to be swung, others wield spears, and there are wraiths that shoot projectiles that you must reflect amongst loads of other enemies. Every enemy has its advantages and disadvantages, and you'll have to remember all of them as you go along because the game will always be throwing out a mixture of these as you progress throughout the game. Aside from these enemies also come bosses that fight a lot like you do and have special abilities of their own that can't be taken lightly.

Thankfully, The Nameless King has loads of options in regards to his weaponry since he's able to wield different kinds of swords that are split within three classes. These three classes are light, medium, & heavy which determine how fast your attacks are. The swords also have special abilities that range from absorbing health from your opponents to summoning a void that does massive damage. You acquire more swords as you go along by "remembering" them through the game's menu. You do this by eventually filling up a meter by playing through the game to the point where you can unlock a new sword from a wide selection between stages.

You have to utilize everything to the best of your ability as you travel across multiple chapters in three main arcs. The difficulty steadily gets more intense as you go along, but refusing to create new strategies will instantly stop your progression. Aside from the main mode, you can also play three other modes that are selectable from the main menu. Two of these are endless modes with the only real difference being that one of them pins multiple enemies against you at once.

The third and unarguably most unique extra mode in the game is Slayers which is essentially what Nidhogg in the sense that you have to fight through the enemy to get to the other side. What's different about this in God of Blades is that in this mode you pick one of three weight classes and fight against an enemy's weight class including their representing boss. This mode is also two-player and is an excellent form of entertainment that will settle old scores with your friends. Multiple ways to play and more modes than people would anticipate from a game like God of Blades doesn't mean anything if the controls aren't good.

The controls are largely dependent of the left analog stick. You're able to do different moves depending on which direction you take the analog stick. These moves are block, side-swing, upward swing, and downward swing which all have different speeds and recovery. You can activate your sword's special ability by pressing the "O" button when a meter is full, and in doing so will result in the meter becoming empty. It almost feels as though God of Blades is a mobile game brought to the television, but it squeaks by with just enough input from the player to avoid such a label.

Overall, there's a lot to experience in God of Blades from the main story to the extra modes. The game has a solid difficulty from start to finish, and the fact that you're able to wield a lot of weapons with their own unique abilities makes for a experience that can be approached in multiple ways. The enemy variety is superb and the bosses add a lot to the game as a whole. The controls are fluid and response, but player's may find themselves feeling as though they're playing a mobile game on the television.

Visuals:

The visuals in God of Blades are nothing shy of beautiful. The attention to detail and the amount of love that went into them will make even the snobbiest graphic whores look its way. The backgrounds always have something going on during gameplay, and all the animations from the special abilities to the characters on-screen are very smooth. The cutscenes are also masterfully done, and those who're looking for something that has a high production value should find enjoyment in them. All of this accumulates into a visual experience that shouldn't be passed up if you're tired of the same pixel infested looking games Discover has to offer.

Soundtrack & Sounds:

The soundtrack in the game is utterly amazing. Everything induces a calm, yet urgent feeling as you absorb its carefully created soundtrack. It fits the game's overall atmosphere very well and is something that will engross you as you play. The sounds within the game are good, but not anything that you'd remember after turning the game off. Overall, everything is very pleasing to the ears and only adds to the already great experience.

Conclusion:

God of Blades is a fantastic game that sadly got pushed aside in favor of the more popular titles at the time of its release. Because of this, many often see it as just something that exist simply to be a part of the OUYA console's growing library of games when in actuality it's one of the console's best experiences. The solid gameplay, multiple modes, beautiful presentation, and soundtrack make everything almost a perfect package. There could have been more of a story in every regard, and the way the narration is done could have been less cryptic. These issues are largely overshadowed by the game's positive aspects in the grand scheme of things, and doesn't stop God of Blades from getting a five out of five.

Score: 5/5

http://s9.postimg.org/6mwz3f4cv/dukenukem.jpg

Schizophretard
03-13-2015, 06:01 PM
I'm going to have to disagree about the visuals. Not that they aren't that good on your end but on my TV they show up in low resolution and pixelated. I mentioned it during the last sale after another member pointed out the same thing. Since it affects at least one other person, my OUYA is on the standard settings, and this is the only game affected out of the many games I have I believe the issue is a bug with the game.

RiotingSpectre
03-13-2015, 06:29 PM
I'm going to have to disagree about the visuals. Not that they aren't that good on your end but on my TV they show up in low resolution and pixelated. I mentioned it during the last sale after another member pointed out the same thing. Since it affects at least one other person, my OUYA is on the standard settings, and this is the only game affected out of the many games I have I believe the issue is a bug with the game.

Odd. Everything is perfect on my end. Maybe it's your television?

Schizophretard
03-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Odd. Everything is perfect on my end. Maybe it's your television?

If it is then it is still the game since other games look fine and one game doesn't justify buying a new TV.

RiotingSpectre
03-13-2015, 07:00 PM
If it is then it is still the game since other games look fine and one game doesn't justify buying a new TV.

Perhaps, but in the end I can't include that in the review when it has only affected two people which undoubtedly represents a minority. Especially considering the fact that I was unaware of such an issue in the first place. The only game I've had horrible visual experiences with was with Dead Rushing HD.

Kaimega
03-13-2015, 07:07 PM

Actually, I think the game is played in a 480p resolution to keep the high framerate, so while it isn't really noticeable on smaller TVs it can be noticeable on larger ones.

RiotingSpectre
03-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Actually, I think the game is played in a 480p resolution to keep the high framerate, so while it isn't really noticeable on smaller TVs it can be noticeable on larger ones.

I have a large television and didn't notice anything Schizophretard was describing.

Kaimega
03-13-2015, 08:37 PM
I have a large television and didn't notice anything Schizophretard was describing.

hmm, who knows then :) I noticed it too on my TV, while it wasn't super pixelly, it was grainy, like a PS2 game :p (ie: lack of anti-aliasing)

Schizophretard
03-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Perhaps, but in the end I can't include that in the review when it has only affected two people which undoubtedly represents a minority. Especially considering the fact that I was unaware of such an issue in the first place. The only game I've had horrible visual experiences with was with Dead Rushing HD.

Never said you have to include it. Anyway, there is a difference between two people reporting a problem and the number actually affected. It could be a minority and it could be more.

Dead Rushing HD is more than horrible. This issue isn't that bad. Dead Rushing HD makes me feel sick and like I have to force myself to look at it. God of Blades just looks similar to if I viewed it while wearing the glasses of someone who is almost blind. I can look at it but just don't want to.

hmm, who knows then :) I noticed it too on my TV, while it wasn't super pixelly, it was grainy, like a PS2 game :p (ie: lack of anti-aliasing)

Yours must not be as bad as mine. If PS2 or even PS1 games looked like this then I wouldn't even have bought them. This looks something like if you took what Riot is probably seeing and recorded it on a VHS. Then you made a copy of the recording on another VHS and then another copy from that. Watch this video on YouTube but set the video quality to 144p. Then try to read the words at 54 seconds when he is making his selection. That is really close to what it looks like on my OUYA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhCYW5g5lm0

timmytot666
03-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Thats nuts Shiz. I played through the whole game and didn't hit that issue. I'm using a decent sized TV as well.

Killswitch
03-14-2015, 01:07 PM
I didn't have the issue either man, it's just you. :p

anatomality
03-14-2015, 03:23 PM
I also liked this game heaps.

Kaimega
03-14-2015, 03:30 PM
Sorry Schizy, I thought we were talking about the same thing.. I have no idea :(

Pat1986
03-14-2015, 05:50 PM
this game is a really gem on the ouya. gameplay is super addictive.

Warzard
03-14-2015, 08:49 PM
The game is part Rastan, part Shadow of the Beast, part endless runner. I wish it was a little more like Shadow of the Beast and Rastan. Endless runners are a little to "phone gamey" for me, but I do like the different swords and the abilities they give you. I have had no problem with the video quality. The audio is excellent and I like the story and the way it unfolds. All in all, It's a good game that you will lose track of how long you have played it, because GOB can really draw you into it.

RiotingSpectre
03-14-2015, 09:23 PM
I didn't have the issue either man, it's just you. :p

Yeah, the issue is all you, Schizophretard.

Schizophretard
03-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Yeah, the issue is all you, Schizophretard.

The game must be racist.