PDA

View Full Version : what add-on ideas for the ouya do YOU have?

Cole
01-21-2015, 04:13 PM
I would like to see the following
- something like the Kinect
- a wired controller
- Expandable hard drive

timmytot666
01-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Wired Controller would be the best move. I would fix the battery issue and the latancy some people were having.

Kaimega
01-21-2015, 04:20 PM
- a wired controller
- Expandable hard drive

You can already expand the harddrive by getting a regular harddrive :).

Umm.. not sure as to what addons really, I have been rather content as of late..

Jawdy
01-21-2015, 04:35 PM
- a wired controller
- Expandable hard drive

CV (Computer Vision) for things like Motion Control, Skeletal Detection etc, requires an inordinate amount of system resources, particularly CPU, that ARM architectures in particular might struggle to deliver a decent enough experience. I'm certain it could be done, but to the level of quality that people would expect, I doubt it would be a good direction for OUYA.
PrimeSense, the people behind Kinect/ASUS Xtion and others, were purchased by Apple, so it's unlikely that devices under that tech would be available outside of Apple hardware from no on.

Wired seems a bit... daft, at this point.
Yes, it would solve the lag issue - and boy, with multiple controllers and a live net connection, it's pretty bad - but it's not a direction they've taken the hardware, would mean diverting resources to the design/development etc. Again, probably not a good use of time/resources, especially with OUYA2 right around the corner.
Also, there's only one powered USB slot, so more wired controllers would mean either more slots, or a powered USB Hub.

As Kai's already pointed out, you can add a hard disk via USB and they've already improved the support for running games off it. Not sure how great it is, performance-wise, but it's a step in the right direction. BUT, I would like to see expandable storage in the next version, perhaps a micro-SD slot?

I would say there are two major considerations with add-ons, at all.
First, how many people would want/buy in to such an addition. If it's something to roll out with a new chassis, then it's more worthwhile to wait for an entire system changeover, i.e. OUYA2.
Or, and second, with you being allowed to rip the console open, you could do something like this (or any of the points) yourself.

And lastly, speaking from a developer point of view, the more hardware variations to deal with, the more potential problems that can arise. So if there were changes in the chassis or hardware at all, halfway through a cycle, then that means more to consider when bugs/problems rear their ugly head. Sure, we want to try to catch and squish all bugs, but anything that can be done to mitigate said bugs is a good thing. Which is the main benefit of consoles, in that it's a known hardware design!

timmytot666
01-21-2015, 04:43 PM
I can use up to 8 controllers on an unpowered USB hub.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Does it have to be hardware? If not then opening up the Menu overlay to call other things would be brilliant!

Cole
01-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Does it have to be hardware? If not then opening up the Menu overlay to call other things would be brilliant!
It doesn't have to be hardware:)

mmartino
01-21-2015, 08:17 PM
My girl friend asked if Ouya could release there own version of the Vibease. She said if they do, she would be all about playing Ouya with me then :D

So that would be what I would want to see sold as an accessory!

Kaimega
01-21-2015, 08:20 PM
My girl friend asked if Ouya could release there own version of the Vibease. She said if they do, she would be all about playing Ouya with me then :D

So that would be what I would want to see sold as an accessory!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg?1315930535

trizznilla
01-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Just had to Google Vibease, but it's android compatible and should work. Hopefully it will work with Get on Top.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

jbizzy
02-25-2015, 08:58 PM
MLB.TV connectivity please...

funkypop
02-26-2016, 12:13 AM
how about a hands-free second screen device? smth like this: http://s28.postimg.org/48jpxs40r/tusk_demo.gif or even this little guy: http://s7.postimg.org/3npchn3ez/tusk_gaming_small.jpg , what does everyone think?

georgesarge70
09-21-2018, 03:06 PM
You can already expand the harddrive by getting a regular harddrive :).

Umm.. not sure as to what addons really, I have been rather content as of late..

same here!!! :05.18-flustered: