PDA

View Full Version : OUYA Consoles - Devs making their own?

PeteMack
03-02-2013, 03:15 PM
This I found interesting. Perhaps OUYA won't even be making consoles eventually, and third party devs will, or even TV manufacturers would simply include the hardware in their future TV's?

From OUYA's event in Chicago: (http://clearancebinreview.com/2013/03/01/ouya-wines-and-dines-chicago-developers/)

Another question that came up concerned hardware updates. Uhrman indicated that their goal is to follow more a mobile device tempered release cycle, updating more every year than every 4-5 years, as has been the standard for consoles. Because the hardware is made with commodity parts, which Uhrman described as being off the shelf — to the extent, she exclaimed, that anyone could make the OUYA, since they’ve made the specs known — she hopes they can continue to take advantage of falling microchip prices to keep the OUYA’s price around $99 and allow for faster hardware updates than their big name console competitors.

She stressed that the hardware is not the focus of OUYA; the game ecosystem is. She wants to create a good gaming experience first and foremost. So she indicated that since the system is set up with Bluetooth, both gamers and developers could sync other Bluetooth enabled devices to the console as additional and different interfaces, thereby creating different types of gaming experiences. Her hope is that developers will take the initiative to develop games that require different types of interfaces. While the final controller will be a nicer color, with cushioned grips, she doesn’t want it to be the end all in interfaces, and mentioned that the console is even optimized to allow for additional USB peripherals.

b33rb3lly
03-02-2013, 04:44 PM
I had realized a couple of weeks ago that the eventual long-term plan could be to work with television manufacturers to include the core aspects of OUYA in their designs so that the only external device would be the controller. A tagline that used "now with OUYA technology" could be a selling point, especially after OUYA is established. However, if the ultimate goal is about the game ecosystem, then we're entering a new era of video game experimentation here. For decades it's been about the hardware, and right now the Big Three are trying to compel you to buy their hardware. But with OUYA we have something completely different: hardware that is not pointing to itself, but rather to a different way in which we play video games. This is one of the things that I find exciting about the OUYA: an inexpensive means by which we would do the same thing we've always been doing, but different.

Anyway, as for other companies making their own versions of an OUYA, I found some inspiration from this article (http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/23/what-games-are-consoles-are-sinking-get-to-the-lifeboats/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=tumblr), specifically here:

"Of course there is much about the emerging microconsoles that is unknown (such as performance, routes to market, retailer partnerships and so on) but those are solvable problems. Furthermore the common use of Android means that many other competitors might get into the market, such as Samsung. Are you seriously telling me that Samsung or Amazon couldn’t jump into this space with a little-Android-box-that-could if they believed that the market were there?"

I think that it's highly possible that either of those two companies, or perhaps both, are either watching the unfolding of OUYA and its release very carefully, or already working on their own. I would put money behind Samsung first, or maybe Samsung working with Amazon. If Samsung does get involved, they could do a good job of it.

James Andrew Coote
03-03-2013, 12:06 AM
I think OUYA have mentioned before that the long term goal would be to have the OUYA integrated into the TV sets.

Amazon are primarily about selling content. Making a games console would not help them sell content, but rather make them a competitor to other companys, like Microsoft and Sony, who might take offence at the move, and refuse to sell through Amazon. Amazon didn't make the Kindle Fire to sell apps. They made it to sell books and films

Samsung are pushing their 'smart tv' line as a way to try and get people used to the idea of apps on their TV that doesn't require people going through a separate Apple TV or Google TV box. However, all three of those systems have failed to take off in any significant way, so there is a potential that OUYA could sign a deal to be integrated into a TV manufacturer's set (LG maybe?) as a way to compete and jump ahead of the aforementioned. Clearly Sony aren't going to be integrating OUYA into their TV's any time soon, but while Samsung have no history of gaming, turning their entire apps strategy over to some third party company probably isn't their style in a world where they're competing with Microsoft, Sony and Apple to get everyone using the same TV, tablet, computer, camera, phone, you name it tech device running their ecosystem

Edit: I kinda like the idea of OUYA manufacturing a TV set themselves, though it'd be ridiculously expensive to get started, in a highly competitive market, not to mention completely tangential to OUYA's goals. But hey, maybe they can bring the same nimble startup philosophy to TV's as well?

risecreature
03-03-2013, 01:37 AM
I would like to make 2 things with OUYA:
1. Create 3rd party console, which can connect to OUYA's internet shop;
2. Use OUYA and add new feature - use USB for DVD reader and run offline games from it. Or, may be, some other hardware, like flash memory, connected to USB.

gdd2010
03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
If they integrate into TV Sets. Boom! Goes the Dynamite! They will be set and the standard for "Smart TVs" will be created.

Just the possibility to get a TV with this built in (also to be open to HW upgrade/mods) but to buy a stand alone unit for those not desiring to buy a new TV. This could very well put Ouya into a class of its own.

RiotingSpectre
03-24-2013, 10:44 AM
I was think more on the line of the 3DO. The 3DO Company licensed off it's blueprints to Panasonic, Sanyo and GoldStar (now LG) which made people confused as to which was right buy.

In short. Not a good idea.

Jack_Mcslay
03-24-2013, 12:53 PM
I wonder if taking a Tegra3 tablet and flashing it with Ouya's firmware works as a DIY Ouya

defyboy
04-05-2013, 09:37 AM
I personally could see this,

Smart TV's seem to be evolving at a rapid pace, I have a Samsung Smart TV but I find it's features mostly useless. I simply don't see the need to facebook or twitter on it. It's a horrible experience, This is probably why you won't find any with android.

IMHO blockbuster games probably always have their place on the "next-gen" consoles for the power-console users but when it comes to killing time or family games for cheap fun a platform like Ouya has a definite advantage for the masses. This is why Nintendo was laughing all the way to the bank while the other manufacturers were taking losses in the last round.

If I could pick up my remote and play a wide selection of Indy titles anytime I wanted, That would be a definite plus in a TV set for me. Then again, added $99 for the ability to do that sits quite well also.

user82
04-05-2013, 09:41 AM
I wonder if taking a Tegra3 tablet and flashing it with Ouya's firmware works as a DIY Ouya

On my stock Nexus 7 I could successfully run a .apk from the ouya market.

I will test it even more when I got my controllers ready to connect.

CaptainCapslock
04-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I sure hope they are not going to do this.
Diversity is Android's biggest problem already. We don't want different manufactures putting different hardware in different "ouya" consoles.

Please, Uhrman, just don't!