PDA

View Full Version : Make it easier to rate games

ChrisGuin
12-19-2014, 03:56 PM
I generally like the OUYA UI design - I feel like it gets a lot of things right. However, it's become a little difficult to rate games. It seems as though you have to double-press the menu button to exit a game to rate it. If the game is well-designed and doesn't require you to double-press to get out of it, I have to go out of my way to rate the game.

I feel like there ought to be a way to either rate a game from the game's details page, or the rating dialog box should pop up after quitting a game regardless of how you quit it. The ability to rate a game from the details page might need to be locked until the game has been at least downloaded/installed/played for X time or whatever, but I still feel like it would be a step in the right direction.

Rhellik
12-19-2014, 04:19 PM
I hear you. I deliberately took out my "Quit game" menu item, so people would exit with a double press and rate it. I haven't looked back since and got lots more ratings.
So yes, there should be a better way.

Foppy
12-20-2014, 11:11 AM
If a game does not require you to double-press out of it, it is actually badly designed, the Ouya guideline being to use double-press to quit. That being said it would be nice to be able to access the rating option without having to (re)start the game.

ezraanderson
12-20-2014, 11:25 AM
~
Hmm, maybe I should remove my exit buttons also.

tozeleal
12-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Wow... My problem turned with a feature! My game can't be closed without the double ouya button!

Thanks to Ludei!

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Kaimega
12-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Console games shouldn't really be turned off with an exit option..that is so PC :p

I mean, at least, I haven't seen that on any other console games either. Xbox and PS3 required exiting the game via their menu button, and not with an exit button also.

ChrisGuin
12-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Console games shouldn't really be turned off with an exit option..that is so PC :p

I mean, at least, I haven't seen that on any other console games either. Xbox and PS3 required exiting the game via their menu button, and not with an exit button also.

Maybe my issue is that double-pressing the menu button has always felt awkward - maybe this makes me a terrible controller-user, but it typically takes me a few tries to get the menu to pop up :P

Rhellik
12-20-2014, 05:16 PM

Hm, I guess I have been thinking too much of PC then. Still, they should make the rating more accessible. Is it in the system menu? (Apart from Exit -> Rating popup)

Jeffry84
12-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Hm, I guess I have been thinking too much of PC then. Still, they should make the rating more accessible. Is it in the system menu? (Apart from Exit -> Rating popup)

Yes: within a game in the system menu, above the other functions (switch off controller, exit game etc...).

trizznilla
12-22-2014, 08:17 AM
I would like to be able to rate from the detail page, and abolish the exit game confirmation dialog box.

UfoCrashGames
12-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Interesting thoughts, but I'm here with Foppy, according to guidelines a double press will bring the rate, exit and other stuff.

chicgamer
01-11-2015, 03:09 PM
To me, the double-press has always seemed akin to a force close. It's always seemed like an oversight to me whenever a game doesn't have an exit option. However, I didn't realize that this was the only way to rate games.

I really wish that there were a way to write reviews, maybe via the OUYA website that would then be pulled into the details page for a game (maybe just another button along with Play, Favorite, Move, and Uninstall). Ratings don't tell me much. A game might only have two or three stars, yet it might be a game I would actually enjoy. I would prefer to know why a game received the rating it did. It would definitely help me make a more informed choice, especially for games that don't have a demo.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-11-2015, 05:15 PM
I "kinda" like some aspects of the UI, however some of them, such as the store seem very cluttered. The overlay/in-game menu is a great tool, but it needs options that devs can hook into in order to make it more useful.

All things considered I think the OUYA UI feels like a good first version, however it still has room for improvement, which is OK. Innovation requires room for improvement, but then again responsiveness to community needs/wants is a big help as well.