PDA

View Full Version : Android Lollipop Support

kongstahh
12-02-2014, 05:14 PM
I think something that could benefit our Ouya consoles is if we updated our Ouya OS so that it is on Android 5.0 instead of 4.1.

I think this would improve our console through speed, support and the overall experience.
I am not just suggesting this because I want Lollipop. There are many pros in updating to Lollipop.
In the Android 5.0, Google has updated their software to include OpenGLES 3.1 which will boost the performance and the look of our games.
Android 5.0 also has TV support with Android TV and its v17 Leanback Library which will help build user interfaces on TV devices.
This will benefit our app development as well as when other App developers update their software for this, It will be more compatible with console.
The ART Runtime would also be very helpful in boosting the overall performance of the console.

With Android 5.0 on our system, our development will spread and more apps will have support for our console. This could possibly eliminate or at least minimize the need to port things to Ouya through the 5.0 support.

The biggest downfall I could find from this is that with Art, there will be more memory used and since our console only has 8GB of flash memory it would take up more space. However, we could use the USB port to extend our storage into greater capacities.

Source: http://developer.android.com/about/versions/lollipop.html

SlingShot
12-02-2014, 06:32 PM
My experience with 5.0 on my Nexus 5 has been pretty terrible ...

mmartino
12-02-2014, 06:43 PM
OpenGLES 3.1 isn't possible with the tegra 3 so that part is out unless you mean on a future version of Ouya 2

The TV support is just redoing what Ouya already did for the OS when they designed it for the console. They could undo what they have done and start over with Google's solution, but that kinda seems counter productive to me

Schizophretard
12-03-2014, 03:43 AM
I'm curious if OUYA's modifications would transfer over like external storage. If everything would transfer over and there were some other benefits then I would see no issue with it but if anything is lost then it wouldn't be worth it to me.

flamepanther
12-04-2014, 11:34 PM
I'd be in favor of it for OUYA 2. For the current hardware, I'd be happy if they could manage to backport the code that allows 4.4 Kitakat to change screen resolutions and refresh rates on the fly over HDMI.