PDA

View Full Version : Making the external storage check optional

Jeffry84
11-18-2014, 09:16 PM
I've finally been able to get an external hard disc for my Ouya, and downloaded part of the apps I liked but had to uninstall because of the little space I had before.
I usually switch off my Ouya completely, and having an external HD with many apps installed means that it is going to take a long time tocheck the integrity of the apps installed on it. Also, leaving the Ouya on sleep mode leaves the HD open, and unmounting it would void the reason of leaving the Ouya on.

Since it's likely that nothing happened overnight, wouldn't it be good for the check to be made optional, and maybe adding a function to launch the checking utility manually?

Eldon.McGuinness
11-18-2014, 09:41 PM
I want to make sure I understand the issue, you want to leave the HDD plugged in but not have to do a HDD check when the device boots? Why not just unplug the HDD when you are not using it? You might be able to get away with leaving it in by editing the fstab so that it is not auto mounted, but then that would prolly be more of a pain than just unplugging and replugging.

Jeffry84
11-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Yes, I would just like to skip the check at boot. I think it's excessive to have it at every startup, doing it every say 30 times, after a bad shut-down and occasionally manually would in my opinion make more sense.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-18-2014, 11:48 PM
I don't know if it is actually doing a file system check or if it is instead scanning to see if the appropriate packages for the USB apps are present. I would imagine the later since it seems to take longer depending on how many "OUYA Apps/Games" you have installed, ROMs for example do not seem to have effect on scan time for me.

Schizophretard
11-19-2014, 12:06 AM
I don't know if it is actually doing a file system check or if it is instead scanning to see if the appropriate packages for the USB apps are present. I would imagine the later since it seems to take longer depending on how many "OUYA Apps/Games" you have installed, ROMs for example do not seem to have effect on scan time for me.

Could it be both since it says,"Scanning for inconsistencies" and then after that scan it scans again and says something like,"Scanning for apps."?

Eldon.McGuinness
11-19-2014, 12:13 AM
Indeed, but do you get the inconsistencies bit every boot?

Schizophretard
11-19-2014, 02:02 AM
Indeed, but do you get the inconsistencies bit every boot?

It used to seem like it had just one scan but yes. For a while now it has been two scans which is when I noticed the inconsistencies because I noticed it was saying something new.

Jeffry84
11-19-2014, 11:36 AM
It's also true that the console has to know what to find in the USB storage and show the games accordingly (it doesn't show in Play the games installed on an external drive if this isn't mounted), but I think it could assume the content based e.g. on the disc label: as long as the same disc remained mounted from the previous session the check could behave as I mentioned above.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-19-2014, 08:17 PM
I really don't think there is a user friendly way to do what you're asking, I mean if you assume the data is there then you run the chance of someone trying to launch the app and it crashing out. I am not sure if the average user would remember where they installed that app and think to check the USB drive. Additionally, what if the issue was the data was deleted from the drive some how; this would lead the OUYA to thinking it was there when it indeed is not.

I really think the best way for you to go about this is to either edit the fstab or simply unplug the drive when you do not intend to use it.

Jeffry84
11-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I think I'll just leave it as it is now. I'll take it as a romantic reminiscence of the tape loading of the C64 (although much faster fortunately!) lol. It was worth asking for opinions.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-20-2014, 12:08 AM
You know, one option would be to make a root access app that could swap out the fstab on the device. Effectively giving you a "switch" to control whether or not the device is mounted. :D

Nitrogen_Widget
11-20-2014, 02:12 PM
I'm wondering why people shut their ouya's down at all?

Jeffry84
11-20-2014, 07:16 PM
I wonder why they don't. I'm not using it, why should I leave it on? Do you leave your car in the neutral gear when you get home? I leave the Ouya on only when it's downloading/updating something and I have to go. Besides, as said a couple of comments above, it leaves the HD running for nothing which is not healthy for it.
Then, it could be only me.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Well I leave mine on all the time, but that is because I have XBMC updating information ~4 times a day to ensure my library is up to date. :D