PDA

View Full Version : A Backup Plan is SERIOUSLY Needed

LightyKD
11-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Last night I had the pleasure of experiencing my latest OUYA scare. I placed my console into sleep mode yesterday and when I went to wake it back up, the console was on but no OUYA light. I had to unplug/plug in the console twice to get the thing to turn on properly. I can't keep having scares like this! It makes it really hard to invest in the OUYA console because I keep worrying about losing save files and other data. We need a backup system similar to homebrew Wii consoles. On a homebrew Wii console (provided you don't have one with the edited Boot 2), there is a program called BootMii that allows you to backup the entire console as something similar to a save state (i.e. the ones found in emulators). Once you backed up your "state" you can then restore it to your original or any other BootMii compatible Wii console. Hell, you can literally use the program to make duplicate Wii systems :P

The point I'm trying to get is that the OUYA needs something similar. A way for us to backup the entire 8GB of storage onto our external USB drives and then restore when we need to, on either a original or a new OUYA. Since the backup will be a "save state", there will be no worries of losing save data, root privileges, apps, ect. Yes, I get that there is a chance that something like this could be used in the wrong way but hell, it beats losing a years worth of work because of a fluke accident.

Thoughts?

Juuzou
11-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Clockwork Mod Recovery, my friend.

mmartino
11-10-2014, 04:18 PM
I personally would just want the game saves able to be saved/exported to USB. The OS can just be reset so I know its back to a factory state. For us no root users that is. This is something that has been mentioned to Ouya by me and they are thinking about it but would go a long way to furthering the cause if people mentioned it during the dev hours. *wink wink*

For rooted users titanium backup does this. Actually I have used dozens of apps that do this if you are rooted

Jeffry84
11-10-2014, 07:23 PM
As non rooted user, I'm totally for a savefile manager :)

Schizophretard
11-10-2014, 07:42 PM
I personally would just want the game saves able to be saved/exported to USB. The OS can just be reset so I know its back to a factory state. For us no root users that is. This is something that has been mentioned to Ouya by me and they are thinking about it but would go a long way to furthering the cause if people mentioned it during the dev hours. *wink wink*

For rooted users titanium backup does this. Actually I have used dozens of apps that do this if you are rooted

That is my main concern. I rather my purchased externally stored games be locked to my account just like the purchases themselves are instead of to my console. That way if I had to do a factory reset or wanted to transfer them to another OUYA then I wouldn't have to download them again while losing save data that would take months of playing to get back. Even if I copied it all to another hard drive it wouldn't matter because they either wouldn't show up at all or would go back to demo mode if put on an OUYA without my account.

Hugo
11-12-2014, 03:16 AM
My stock OUYA has never had an issue, so I don't see the need to borrow ideas from a company that should have stopped making hardware almost a decade ago to be happy.

LightyKD
11-12-2014, 09:57 AM
My stock OUYA has never had an issue, so I don't see the need to borrow ideas from a company that should have stopped making hardware almost a decade ago to be happy.

ModMii is a homebrew application made by Wii hackers, therefore, the method of console save state making was not created by Nintendo but created for a Nintendo console. I don't see why you wouldn't want a way to backup your save files or OUYA settings. Every console in the modern era has a way to backup saves. I treat my OUYA as a console, therefore I expect some level of data protection.

Hugo
11-12-2014, 03:33 PM
ModMii is a homebrew application made by Wii hackers, therefore, the method of console save state making was not created by Nintendo but created for a Nintendo console. I don't see why you wouldn't want a way to backup your save files or OUYA settings. Every console in the modern era has a way to backup saves. I treat my OUYA as a console, therefore I expect some level of data protection.

It was an application made by hackers to solve a problem that the company didn't resolve themselves because a majority of users weren't having the issue because they didn't try to outsmart the hardware... but you expect this company to do something about it because your odds of being heard are a bit higher here since the community is smaller? You treat your OUYA like a science experiment, and whenever something goes awry (which seems to be about once a month for you,) you make a suggestion thread in hopes of garnering support to fix your specific issue that's a result of your tinkering. If you scale back your expectations and chill out on trying to make everything you own exactly like everything else that you own, I imagine that you'll be far less frustrated.

I don't care for save backups for this console because there are only a handful of games on the OUYA have enough depth and content where I would feel like it's a loss if something happened to my save file. I don't try to plumb the depths of a $99 kickstarter project, so I never have anything go wrong. OUYA hasn't implemented anything like this because a majority of their users don't jam a wrench under the hood every time they have an idea.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Well honestly I think that is a bit short sighted Hugo, I mean what if I get a new ouya and want to transfer my save games? You are right that people make a number demands that would not occur if they were not under the hood, but on the other hand this is not the WII, it was sold with the expectation that it would be modded and hacked. :D

I actually managed to restore a backup of reaper lastnight, so I might be on to a way to make a backup app, but it would require root to work, not that root is hard to achieve. \o/

Juuzou
11-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Saves should be in data/data/game folder

ie.

data/data/com.ludosity.ittledew/files\IttleDew/save1.ittlesave

or something like that.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Yea reaper stores there as well, so I might be able to put together an ADB script for people to play with and report the results. If that works then I could make a root access app that could do this for us, but again it would require you to root your device.

In my case, for reaper, I just tar'd the entire /data/data/net.hexage.reaper folder and then uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. That gave me fresh build, with no saved data. Then I restored the files, restarted the app and bam, game data back!

Jeffry84
11-13-2014, 07:54 PM
probably having an app that relies on the fact that savefiles are stored in /data/data/yet.another.name/ will push people to use that as a de facto standard folder for savefiles...

Eldon.McGuinness
11-14-2014, 08:52 PM
OK everyone give this a go, this is still in testing but here is what you need to do:

[ OBackUpYA via Progressivethink.in (http://www.progressivethink.in/on/ouya/and/backup-ouya-game-saves/) ]

LightyKD
11-14-2014, 10:00 PM
OK everyone give this a go, this is still in testing but here is what you need to do and what is required:

The version of su that the OUYA comes with should be fine, so I do not think you will need to be rooted.
You will need to access the device via adb.
You will need a USB HDD or Storage device plugged in and with enough available space to hold the files.

You can check the required space by doing the following:

adb shell
su
du -sh /data/data/

[ DOWNLOAD (https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=24453965E2C9805F!1842&authkey=!ANfLW9U9uY6JhlU&ithint=file%2csh) ]

adb push backup_games.sh /sdcard/
adb shell
su
sh backup_games.sh

If you get around to making a app for this, tell me if you need any artwork done. I'll be glad to help.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-14-2014, 10:39 PM
@LightyKD, cool! Do you plan on trying out the shell version? I really need to test it first to see what games work with that and what ones do not before I make it into an app. :D

LightyKD
11-15-2014, 01:46 AM
Wasn't quite sure if I wanted to test the shell version. Where exactly are saves copied to?

Eldon.McGuinness
11-15-2014, 01:55 AM
Wasn't quite sure if I wanted to test the shell version. Where exactly are saves copied to?
It saves them to /mnt/usbdrive/backups/

Just a heads up the command usage has changed, it is more flexible now.

LightyKD
11-15-2014, 03:15 AM
It saves them to /mnt/usbdrive/backups/

Just a heads up the command usage has changed, it is more flexible now.

I would change "BACKUPS" to "SAVBACKUP" mostly because some apps tend to create a backup folder.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-15-2014, 04:53 AM
changed it to OUYASaveBackups :D

LightyKD
11-15-2014, 06:13 AM
changed it to OUYASaveBackups :D

Sweet! It's the weekend again so 90% of my time will be focused on my 7 month old while the misses is away but, I'll check in on this thread as much as I can.

Rhellik
11-15-2014, 07:22 AM
@Eldon I've run the script, it found lots of things and backup to a .tar.gz for each app. Now what do I do?
Edit: Ok, I found my game folder and it seems to have backup the "savegame" data which in my case is the folder in which Unity saves the PlayerPrefs data.

Haven't checked other games though.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-15-2014, 01:33 PM
@Eldon I've run the script, it found lots of things and backup to a .tar.gz for each app. Now what do I do?
Edit: Ok, I found my game folder and it seems to have backup the "savegame" data which in my case is the folder in which Unity saves the PlayerPrefs data.

Haven't checked other games though.

Well now you just hold on to those files until you need them :D if you ran the backup all command then you made a backup of everything, if you want to later restore a specific save you can do restore <packagename>. If you want to test it for me then uninstall the game in question and then reinstall it as that should delete the saved games. Then launch the app and make sure the saves are gone. From there restore the app and see if they return.