PDA

View Full Version : Shorter distance between updates

Killswitch
11-05-2014, 01:22 AM
The space between the last OTA and this one has been a little long. If you notice, there are questions like "is OUYA doing anything", etc. What I'm proposing is something that would help on keeping people in the loop and letting them know something is going on in the background, not everyone is on the forum or reading the net so this will also be of use to those people outside this circle.

It may or may not be possible but maybe break up the updates into sections or have specific parts that can be launched in short order. So instead of big overwhelming updates, release smaller ones that lead into big ones or even hotfixes along the way.

Just a thought.

Sluup
11-05-2014, 01:27 AM
The reason why we have big updates now is because we all didn't want a crap-ton of small updates and hotfixes, remember? Not everyone wanted to constantly update when they turned on their OUYA, and also people that were rooted didn't want to re-root their consoles over and over again.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-05-2014, 01:29 AM
I hate to be like this but to hell with the root folks. I am a root person and I get bit by that from time to time, but honestly I would rather have features I want fixed done sooner rather than later...

Sluup
11-05-2014, 01:35 AM
I hate to be like this but to hell with the root folks. I am a root person and I get bit by that from time to time, but honestly I would rather have features I want fixed done sooner rather than later...

It still leaves us with the people that have complained about needing to constantly update the console. When OUYA Inc. switched it up to having just one big fat update every once in a while, it was well received and people loved it. We can't just flip-flop this just because there aren't any "news" coming out from OUYA, eventually we'll go back to "why so many updates?" and want one big updates instead again.

Killswitch
11-05-2014, 01:55 AM
When updates came or they were talking about updates, people were happy. The problem ended up being the rooting and other random issues but the issues started to be less and less with every update. Things are more stable then they were back then but yeah you probably still have some people who will be chafed.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-05-2014, 02:06 AM
Just make the updates optional, problem solved... If there is a major update then sure force them to update, but if it is not then let them ignore the update and install later. For example, the Exit button bug could have been an optional fix, but the new mod system would need to be a forced update.

RiotingSpectre
11-05-2014, 02:14 AM
(...)

flamepanther
11-05-2014, 05:32 AM
OK. So we've tried having the update cycle too short, and now we've tried having it too long. Maybe OUYA Inc. could aim for something in the middle now that we know where the pain thresholds are?

Juuzou
11-05-2014, 05:50 AM
Sometimes i have to wait like half an hour for a 5mb game to download on ouya. Constant small updates would make me go nuts

They can make a separate beta program where you register your username and you get to be an update tester. Or they can make a bulletin board section on the console and post news there or something.

Schizophretard
11-05-2014, 08:17 AM
I can't get enough updates. They excite me, sexually. Anyway... I remember back in the day in a galaxy far far away before you all were born when updates took forever and then thinking,"Still no USB support! Dammit Jim!" but when the Abominable Snowman came it allowed for faster updates, incremental ones, and it had USB support(beta but good enough). There have been a couple of times since then that they done smaller updates, they would be done in a couple minutes, and my internet speed is smoke signals.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Any opinions on letting "hotfixes" be optional and major revisions forced? I noticed a few replies but no one commented...

xAD
11-05-2014, 02:19 PM
I think if there were optional updates, 90% of the public wouldn't realise there were optional updates, and devs would have to constantly walk people through how to get the optional update since it fixes the "issue" with their game.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Hrm, I don't think that would be the case as each optional update would include the previous optional update, so each update that is pushed out would effectively be a reminder. They could even have the device prompt the user on each "cold boot" of the device, that way the steps to get the update would be to power off the device, unplug and replug it. This would make sure it is a cold boot and the user would be prompted to do the update or skip once again.

Nitrogen_Widget
11-05-2014, 09:18 PM
I do not believe it would be possible for me to look an update in the eye and ignore it, optional or otherwise.
Its an update.
It has to be applied.
I have no choice.
I wouldn't be able to function know there is an unupdated system in my realm.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-06-2014, 12:51 AM
lol