PDA

View Full Version : Ouya category that really needs to exist - TRUE FREE GAMES SECTION

sorath72
10-20-2014, 12:14 AM
I think what is lacking in the ouya discover is a section dedicated to all fully free games on the ouya market. I find it tiring when trying to get a true free game to load up on my system just to check to validate how free it truly is. If anyone else is with me on this one that is something that I think should exist on the discover for the ouya. Other topic would probably be when or if there is any news about a new ouya coming to light. With the K1 still dominating the new market and how is ouya everywhere doing? I might be going to buy a madcatz device and see the tegra 4 run most heavily intensive graphics on the ouya market.

tozeleal
10-20-2014, 12:41 AM
Great idea my game will be on it :)
Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

flamepanther
10-20-2014, 02:13 AM
Do you mean "truly free" as in there's no IAP, or as in they're using a permissive license like GPL?

undftdroar
10-20-2014, 02:20 AM
free games just say FREE

free to try say FREE*

Schizophretard
10-21-2014, 10:35 AM
I think it would probably be beneficial if in the genres there would be two rows like the alphabetical row to separate them. One row would be all of the games that are monetized in some way rather they are free to try or premium. The other row would be all of the games that are completely free. Both rows would be O-Ranked to bring the most engaging games of both types closer to the front. It would have benefits like:

1. The completely free games row would kind of give an impression of being almost like the "pack in games" for the console and make how many there are more clear by the separation.

2. Since the free games row would be O-Ranked it would make it more obvious which of them gamers find the most engaging to help gamers decide which to try out and many of the most engaging may show the developers that their games are liked which may convince them to monetize them in some way.

3. Sometimes people may get on their OUYA with the intent to just buy something and other times with the intent to just play something. An example of one, would be they bought a $25 game card, are looking for what to spend it on, and it would be easy to find which games are monetized. An example of the other, would be they either don't presently have disposable income to buy a game for themselves or they are just looking for a free game for their kids to play without having to sit there waiting for the paywall to buy it for their kids and/or disappoint them that they presently can't afford to.

4. In a genre the only way to see all of the games you would have to look through one big alphabetical row and them being alphabetized would give a game with the letter A a greater boost on the O-Rank than a game with the letter Z because of scrolling distance. Having two more O-Ranked rows separated based on rather or not they are monetized would basically make two rows that have around half of the scrolling distance of that row with the most engaging games closer to the front and both of the rows would take a little from the alphabetical boost on the O-Rank from the alphabetical row.

5. Having two more O-Ranked rows separated based on rather or not they are monetized would make it easier to find the hidden gems of each category.

6. Having two more O-Ranked rows separated based on rather or not they are monetized with the alphabetical row would help bring the most engaging games of the entire genre into the Trending Now of the genre which also helps them get into the Trending Now on the main Discover page. They could even probably replace the Trending Now of the genre since they would be O-Ranked too like this:

Trending Now Monetized Games(All free to try and premium games of the genre.)
Trending Now Totally Free Games(All totally free games of the genre.)
New Releases(I think 50 or 100 of them would be a good number.)
Newly Updated(There isn't a row like this currently in genres but I think it would be a good fit for the same reasons it is on the main Discover page. I think 50 or 100 of them would be a good number.)
Alphabetical(All the games of the genre alphabetized like they already are.)

Another thing that would be beneficial is if there was a totally free games folder in Play. All the games you purchase has a folder but you don't have a folder for your free games.

DrunkPunk
10-21-2014, 10:41 AM
I like where you are going there Schiz. I'm afraid though, that seperating out Money Games and Completely Free Games would cause people to overlook the games that cost money entirely.

Although PSN recently added the Free To Play section to their store, so there is a precedent.

Schizophretard
10-21-2014, 10:59 AM
I like where you are going there Schiz. I'm afraid though, that seperating out Money Games and Completely Free Games would cause people to overlook the games that cost money entirely.

Although PSN recently added the Free To Play section to their store, so there is a precedent.

I don't think people are as black and white as that. If a monetized game is good people would buy it. I once separated out all of the free games of all of Discover by making them favorites in Play but I'm a big spender. For the people that really are as cheap as you describe they would be the kind of people that would use the emulators illegally. Something like this may attract those types that bought it for emulation only to check out the free games. Also, since they would be O-Ranked if they like the best free games then it would make them curious about how good the best monetized games are. People can already do what you describe with the FREE and FREE* labels anyway. This would just organize those in ways that have benefits as I described. I just don't think it is so black and white with more people being on the black that the potential negatives of it would outweigh the positives.

Jeffry84
10-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Not all games are properly labelled on Discover though. I can't remember what titles precisely, but I know some game is labelled as FREE while having IAPs in it. There is also the opposite example, but in that case it's usually games accepting donations, so that it's right to label them as FREE*.

Schizophretard
10-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Not all games are properly labelled on Discover though. I can't remember what titles precisely, but I know some game is labelled as FREE while having IAPs in it. There is also the opposite example, but in that case it's usually games accepting donations, so that it's right to label them as FREE*.

I have noticed those types of mix ups. I have seen some labelled FREE but with the buy button in the description. Those things need fixed.

RiotingSpectre
10-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Sorry, but this idea simply isn't possible. I've asked about such a thing a year ago and was given a detailed response which basically summed up to Discover being overhauled and every published thing on Discover having to be resubmitted. I don't have to tell you that's not going to happen either.

tozeleal
10-21-2014, 09:45 PM
The ouya team can do this... I think they are just lazy about that!

Schizophretard
10-21-2014, 10:31 PM

Don't know about lazy but I agree that they can do it. Everyone used to say that USB storage was impossible but we have it now.

RiotingSpectre
10-22-2014, 01:23 AM

They're not lazy at all. They're without a doubt some of the hardest working people I've ever come across in my veteran years being involved with the video game industry. An idea like this is not high on the priority list nor is it even possible just to simply implement and call a done job. It would take resources, time, and energy that are spent on better things.

doki
10-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Sorry but I don't really see how OUYA would benefit from this. I remember a while back being worried that I might accidentally buy games from the menu without realising but they've been pretty open with it, pointing out what's free to try and free to play (completely free titles have no asterisk), as well as having a dedicated 'beta' section for unfinished titles.

I can also remember being baffled with 'U to launch; O for details' in the early days, but when pay-up-front came in it made total sense to me (I guess they planned it for a while but were scared to tell us!) I'm happy enough to browse through new releases and genres, I can see exactly what's free but something might catch my eye whilst I'm looking, (impulse buy). If there was a 100% free section I'd probably miss out on some good stuff and OUYA game sales would suffer even more. Its a business first and foremost so they'll push the paid games, I'm cool with that so long as they keep making it clear. :-)

flamepanther
10-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Again, if we take "truly free" to mean GPL etc rather than "costs no money" then that would be an interesting section to have.

Schizophretard
10-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Sorry but I don't really see how OUYA would benefit from this. I remember a while back being worried that I might accidentally buy games from the menu without realising but they've been pretty open with it, pointing out what's free to try and free to play (completely free titles have no asterisk), as well as having a dedicated 'beta' section for unfinished titles.

I can also remember being baffled with 'U to launch; O for details' in the early days, but when pay-up-front came in it made total sense to me (I guess they planned it for a while but were scared to tell us!) I'm happy enough to browse through new releases and genres, I can see exactly what's free but something might catch my eye whilst I'm looking, (impulse buy). If there was a 100% free section I'd probably miss out on some good stuff and OUYA game sales would suffer even more. Its a business first and foremost so they'll push the paid games, I'm cool with that so long as they keep making it clear. :-)

The no asterisk thing isn't perfectly accurate though yet. For an example, when I went to download Pier Solar and the Great Architects it just said FREE. Sometimes I see a price for a premium game but with an asterisk and no IAPs. It makes it almost look like a developer has to select either FREE, FREE*, $, or $* instead of it doing it automatically based on what a game is. So, they aren't making it clear all the time.

I was thinking something similar with the U and O buttons but it seemed like it was almost made to make people accidentally get one step closer to making a purchase when they may just be intending on downloading because that is what it does with most games.

I think how it is already set up could cause people to miss out on buying good stuff because around half of the games are completely free which means that all the monetized games are scattered within one long alphabetized row with many free games before them. Also, since the Trending Now of a genre has only about 30 spots there isn't much democratized suggestions with that alphabetized row. For an example, a game could be getting less attention just because it starts with the letter Z, has many free games in front of it, and there isn't enough spots for it on Trending Now. But if it was set up similar to how I suggested then the only games that would be in front of it are other monetized games with a higher O-Rank instead of the entire alphabet including completely free games. Since both rows would be O-Ranked and separated it would be much easier to find the good stuff rather they are monetized or not because both rows would have a shorter distance to scroll and the O-Rank could make it even less of a scroll because it would pull the best games near the front.

TheDavyStar
10-24-2014, 07:07 PM
At first I thought this was a nice idea. BUT...

This.

A lot of premium games on OUYA are worth the price, and these may get overlooked if there was a section like this.