PDA

View Full Version : run windows on ouya?

icrash
02-19-2013, 02:45 AM
while waiting for the ouya to finally be released (yes, I already pre-ordered it), I had an idea. I have been into flight simulators for a long time, and want to build a fixed flight sim cockpit for totalsims warbirds. however, I don't want to spend $500 on a pc tower, just to have it sit in the sim cockpit and not be used for anything else. I have seen many people run windows on android devices (tablets for example) and want to see if it can be done on ouya. can anyone see any problems with this? (I am sure there are many, but if you guys could point them out that would be very helpful, thanks.)

shaminy
02-19-2013, 02:50 AM
You cant run Windows on Android Phones. They have ARM processor, Windows is for x86 cpus.

Masaaki
02-19-2013, 02:55 AM
while waiting for the ouya to finally be released (yes, I already pre-ordered it), I had an idea. I have been into flight simulators for a long time, and want to build a fixed flight sim cockpit for totalsims warbirds. however, I don't want to spend $500 on a pc tower, just to have it sit in the sim cockpit and not be used for anything else. I have seen many people run windows on android devices (tablets for example) and want to see if it can be done on ouya. can anyone see any problems with this? (I am sure there are many, but if you guys could point them out that would be very helpful, thanks.)

You cant run Windows on Android Phones. They have ARM processor, Windows is for x86 cpus.

Well you could certainly emulate it, but it is very slow and certainly not fast enough for a flight sim cockpit application.

arcticdog
02-19-2013, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we see some sort of hack at some point to run Windows RT on OUYA. The Tegra 3 is the processor in the Microsoft Surface tablet, same as OUYA's SOC processor.

icrash
02-19-2013, 03:52 AM
Well you could certainly emulate it, but it is very slow and certainly not fast enough for a flight sim cockpit application.

you misunderstand. the great thing about warbirds is it will run on ANYTHING. and I mean ANYTHING. with the graphics turned down (I have never been much of a fan of insane graphics, I find framerate is what makes stuff realistic to me) it will run on my grandpa's ANCIENT pc, with a 1.1ghz processor and .25gb ram. even on that computer, it will get a good 25fps on low graphics.

user82
02-19-2013, 06:43 AM

Well Win8 exists as ARM Version..but I really do not think someone tries to get it onto Ouya

Fame
03-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Yea Windows 8 is buggy enough on PC, couldn't think about it being on a console..

Loey
03-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Linux should definitely be possible. It'd be much better suited for a device like OUYA anyways.

dr-nix
03-14-2013, 06:07 AM
Yes you can run linux on an arm device -> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/arm

But Windows no, why would you want to though.

JCPRuckus
03-14-2013, 08:52 AM
As someone mentioned, you could theoretically hack Windows RT to "work" on OUYA, but who knows what driver issues (nightmares) there would be. However, even if you got RT running perfectly your game wouldn't run. Your game is compiled for x86 processors. TEGRA3 is an ARM processor. They are incompatible.

CaptainCapslock
03-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Yes you can run linux on an arm device -> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/arm

But Windows no, why would you want to though.
I'm sure a lot of us would like for that to be possible. Isn't it obvious? If we could get it running, we would be able to actually play PC games made for a PC on the Ouya.
I know there'll be issues with the controller and key-mapping. But that could be solved if you could somehow connect a mouse and bluetooth keyboard as well.

That's why I believe many would like to see it possible.

d_brennen
03-14-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm sure a lot of us would like for that to be possible. Isn't it obvious? If we could get it running, we would be able to actually play PC games made for a PC on the Ouya.
I know there'll be issues with the controller and key-mapping. But that could be solved if you could somehow connect a mouse and bluetooth keyboard as well.

That's why I believe many would like to see it possible.

Even IF you get Windows 8 RT running on Ouya (I expect to see a hack within weeks of Ouya's release) it's still Windows RT and not x86. Windows x86-64 games (I.E. nearly all of them) WILL NOT WORK.

CaptainCapslock
03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Even IF you get Windows 8 RT running on Ouya (I expect to see a hack within weeks of Ouya's release) it's still Windows RT and not x86. Windows x86-64 games (I.E. nearly all of them) WILL NOT WORK.
I wasn't talking about if it would be possible or not. I was merely explaining why many people dream of it being possible.
I was not talking about Windows RT by the way. Just to clarify :)

d_brennen
03-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Windows RT is the only version with the tiniest chance of actually working on Ouya though! Any other version, with the exception of Win CE perhaps, will categorically not work.

Just to clarify - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT)

Windows RT (codenamed Windows on ARM) is a special Microsoft Windows operating system designed to run on mobile devices utilizing the ARM architecture, such as tablets. Unlike Windows 8, Windows RT is only distributed as a pre-loaded operating system on devices produced by participating OEMs. Windows RT officially launched alongside Windows 8 on October 26, 2012, with the release of several Windows RT-powered tablets by various manufacturers, along with an RT version of Surface, the first device capable of running Windows manufactured and sold directly by Microsoft.[1][2]
While it lacks certain features and compatibility in comparison to Windows 8 (which runs only on devices with Intel-compatible processors), Microsoft aimed for Windows RT devices to take advantage of the ARM platform's power efficiency (allowing for longer battery life), using system-on-chips to allow for thinner hardware designs, the new Windows Store platform for touch-optimized apps, and providing a reliable experience over time. Unlike other variants of Windows, the operating system also ships with a special edition of Office 2013 as pre-loaded software. Due to these differences, Windows RT is more comparable to a mobile operating system such as iOS than other editions of Windows.[3][4][5]
Windows RT was released to mixed reactions from various outlets and critics. Some felt that Windows RT devices had advantages over other mobile platforms (such as iOS or Android) due to its bundled Office applications and the ability to use a wider variety of USB peripherals and accessories. However, concerns were also raised surrounding its lack of compatibility with legacy applications and other functions, and possible confusion for consumers between Windows RT devices and those running Windows 8 due to these differences.

CaptainCapslock
03-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Windows RT is the only version with the tiniest chance of actually working on Ouya though! Any other version, with the exception of Win CE perhaps, will categorically not work.
While that is correct, I assume most "not-that-geeky" people do not know this. And thus, a lot of people still dream of getting the full Windows version to run on an Ouya.
Now, it is obvious that every developer knows that it is not possible, but from a consumer point-of-view, it might still seem possible.

Personally, I'm fine with Ubuntu being able to run on the console so far :)

JCPRuckus
03-17-2013, 09:00 PM
While that is correct, I assume most "not-that-geeky" people do not know this. And thus, a lot of people still dream of getting the full Windows version to run on an Ouya.
Now, it is obvious that every developer knows that it is not possible, but from a consumer point-of-view, it might still seem possible.

Personally, I'm fine with Ubuntu being able to run on the console so far :)

Right... So isn't disabusing them of this notion kind of a public service? It's not doing them any good to keep hoping for the impossible, and it's not doing anyone else any good to have them repeatedly suggest that "maybe, just maybe" it is.

The PC version of Windows or the games you own running on OUYA...

-Won't work.
-Can't work.
-Never will work.
-No point in discussing it further.

The best you can hope for is either a port (start emailing those developers, kids) or maybe a port of DOSBOX for ARM, which might let you hook up a keyboard and play old DOS games through emulation. But at that point you'd probably be better off just using a computer.

d_brennen
03-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Now what you can do is stream from your PC to Ouya over LAN to display to the TV, that is kind of cool. But you still need a traditional PC capable of playing the game in question (plus a bit more grunt for on-the-fly transcoding)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbMcZMj9DBY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15HZjm-KWCg

JCPRuckus
03-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Now what you can do is stream from your PC to Ouya over LAN to display to the TV, that is kind of cool. But you still need a traditional PC capable of playing the game in question (plus a bit more grunt for on-the-fly transcoding)

Fair enough. I had not considered that. Certainly could be useful for someone who wants Windows on their TV but not a PC under their TV. So, OK, workarounds are possible, but you're still never going to install proper Windows or proper Windows software onto an OUYA.

Mike McCall
03-26-2013, 01:02 AM
If OUYA will run Android, can we install apps from Google Play? I have DosBox Turbo installed on my LG-P500, which then runs Windows 3.1 so that I can once again play Castle of the Winds. If OUYA can play DosBox, and DB can run Windows 98, then I can once again play ICEBREAKER :D

d_brennen
03-26-2013, 01:12 AM
You can sideload apps from the Play store unofficially. If you want an Ouya specific port of your favourite apps, get pestering the developers! ;)

defyboy
04-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Short answer, Very unlikely.

Long answer, I wouldn't expect to see much outside of virtual machines. This is something we have seen many times as a show off on other platforms because it is slow as buggery and as inefficient as you could possibly imagine. Perhaps a future hack will make use of the new iteration of Windows RT as it is already running on the Tegra platform, which is in it's own right, the actual Windows Kernel and operating system as you know it albeit stripped down and restricted a little and ported to the ARM architecture.

Of course, if even that were possible, at this stage Windows RT is largely locked down to very specific iterations of "Metro" applications and will not be running your traditional Windows applications in the near future without some sort of Virtualisation.

There are already ports of DOSBOX on Android, I would not be surprised to see that along with the entire cult following of ROM fanatics and emulators to flock to the platform like they did in the Xbox days.

darksakul
04-07-2013, 04:55 AM
I seen people run Windows 1.0 on a virtual machine on a Raspberry Pi (a less powerful Arm device).
If a Raspberry Pi could do it, I can see a skillful hacker doing the same on the Ouya.

Would you be able to run Windows Xp or Win 7, Nope.
Windows 8? maybe Win RT version but why would you do that? There is no Benefit.

Andrew Joyce
04-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Well, Android is a type of Linux... so that makes sense.

icrash
05-31-2013, 01:56 AM
hi guys, sorry I haven't checked back in for a while, I've been trying to remember my username and password for a VERY long time xD
after a lot of research, I now realize how dumb this question was. I'm giving up on this, as the ouya doesn't have the ram to even run windows, let alone run a flight sim on windows. I may try to run linux, as a friend of mine is working on porting warbirds for linux. anyway, thanks for all the help!

jonbonazza
05-31-2013, 03:04 AM
Just to clarify, none of the main linux distros will run on ouya without being recompiled for the arm achitecture. Also, very few linux kernels (let alone distros) will even run on the ouya because the ouya just isnt powerful enough.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

macharborguy
05-31-2013, 03:55 AM
Forget Windows

BeOS FO LIFE!

http://www.birdhouse.org/beos/byte/29-10000ft/beos.multitask.full.jpg

user82
05-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Just to clarify, none of the main linux distros will run on ouya without being recompiled for the arm achitecture. Also, very few linux kernels (let alone distros) will even run on the ouya because the ouya just isnt powerful enough.

And you guess that based on what?
The Raspberry Pi, which is hardware wise far weaker, can run a normal linux (all modules and drivers included) as well as a X-Server (it is not very speedy but you can browse the net).
I expect a normal distro to work very well, but as soon one is out I will test myself and create a video of it!

jonbonazza
05-31-2013, 03:49 PM
And you guess that based on what?
The Raspberry Pi, which is hardware wise far weaker, can run a normal linux (all modules and drivers included) as well as a X-Server (it is not very speedy but you can browse the net).
I expect a normal distro to work very well, but as soon one is out I will test myself and create a video of it!

No it doesnt. It runs a minimal, stripped down kernel. The standard linux kernel is much more bloated. I have a raspberry pi.

beowolfschaefer
05-31-2013, 04:22 PM
You'd probably be better off using the Onlive desktop thing than trying to install and run natively even with an arm supported version of Windows.

akorz
05-25-2014, 12:24 PM
http://imgur.com/fj8ASs4

You can install a version of Windows on Ouya, it just takes a little work.

boxtropica
05-31-2014, 03:14 AM
Yea... That's not going to work. Windows on ARM? Doubtful, except for Windows RT, of which only OEMs have access to...
Best bet is a virtual machine, but even that wouldn't work well, considering the specs. Your best bet for a desktop OS is a lightweight GNU/Linux distro, if that's even possible. (There are some ARM distros- Android not included, if it can even be considered a proper distro, as it is Google/Linux, rather than GNU/Linux.)

Linuxgamer94
10-31-2014, 10:10 PM
whell it is in theory possible if you can find someone who has a coppy of the oem version of windows rtm, how ever I dought even doeing so will be legal or practicle. As someone mention earliler it mmight be possible to run Windnows CE, but I dought it. Your best beet would be to go and compile a version of React OS for arm and see if it works. If you got a copy of windows 3 or 95 you can just run that in dosbox, but I don't know if your flight sim would handle it. Does any one know how to install a full linux distro on the ouya?