PDA

View Full Version : Ability to Loan a Game to a Friend for a Short Period

Victor Coleiro
10-14-2014, 01:31 AM
I was thinking of having the ability to loan a game to a friend (Like you can on the other consoles) for a short period of time.

So basically if you own a game and would like to give your friend a taste of it - (because you want to get him interested in it so he starts playing it also, or he's interested in it and wants to see what its like) - you can do so. I guess it could work by flagging a friends account you wish to loan the game to, they would then see it and have the option to download it and use for a short period of time before online DRM disables it.

What does everyone think?

Schizophretard
10-14-2014, 01:59 AM
It would be kind of cool. Since you can sign on to any OUYA with your account it would be cool if you could have guest accounts so that someone could log on but you could always change the password and cancel it.

Killswitch
10-14-2014, 04:24 AM
Would have to be networked or someone would have to be sitting at the switch all day...or am I thinking too far ahead.

But with so many short games, might not work. Need more of the longer games that are planned to come out or have some way to limit it. It's kind of like a demo policy isn't it.....

Schizophretard
10-21-2014, 11:42 AM
They could probably do something where the loan isn't for a limited time by it being blocked by the person who is loaning it until it is sent back. That would make it more like a real loan instead of a temporary copy.

Nathaniel Bennett
10-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Loan, meaning you'll pass them your licence for the copy, which resulting in you, not being able to play the game, until they pass you back the licence.

I'm thinking bitcoin, OUYA style. Have an OUYA wallet linked with your console - contains all the encrypted licence keys for all your games. You can unsign and reassign them from console to console to stop people from duplicating them. This way, you can resell your games - kinda like digital preowned. Of course you'll need some type of trusted party, signin and unsigning all the certificates (OUYA inc. maybe?)

Nitrogen_Widget
10-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Something like this wouldn't be up to OUYA, it would be up to the DEV and I personally would not allow something like this with any app I developed & was selling.
You want it?
Buy it.

No other console in the world would let you do this.
It's like letting all your friends log into your netflix account to watch online.

Chii_Dev
10-27-2014, 07:37 PM
It's an interesting concept, and could help with sales for games without demos. But realistically something like this couldn't be done until more platforms support OUYA games and incorporate some type of “friend list”. A good model to follow could be that of e-books; correct me if I’m wrong (I tend to stick with print).

I have heard that most if not all e-books already allow short-term loans of digital content. I’m not exactly sure how it works, but I speculate that the e-book can be loaned out to one friend at a time for “x” number of days. During this time the original owner won’t have access to the book until the time period has passed or the borrower returns it. My thoughts are that the length of time might just be a few days and not enough time to finish longer books thus encourages the borrower to buy their own copy.

Good thought Victor Coleiro, hopefully OUYA can reach that level one day, but they really need that install base before it could be considered.

On the flip side like Nitrogen_Widget said, they would need their developers to consent or at the very least OUYA would need to change the terms and conditions to give them more control over how developers content is distributed through their services. And if the majority of developers have a similar prospective to Nitrogen_Widget, then changing the terms could cost OUYA already established content.

Killswitch
10-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Why would other platforms need to support OUYA? What are you thinking with that one?

I would think it just has to be OUYA supported but you need network connectivity or it ends up being someone sitting at a switch doing it manually which is counter productive. Was it PS or XBone that just introduced this feature in their latest update? Someone did it...

Terms and conditions have to change of course for future developers and get consent from others like they did with the subscription thing.

Kaimega
10-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Why would other platforms need to support OUYA? What are you thinking with that one?

I would think it just has to be OUYA supported but you need network connectivity or it ends up being someone sitting at a switch doing it manually which is counter productive. Was it PS or XBone that just introduced this feature in their latest update? Someone did it...

Terms and conditions have to change of course for future developers and get consent from others like they did with the subscription thing.

I think he means in terms of OUYA everywhere. Other devices containing that.

Chii_Dev
10-27-2014, 10:13 PM
***Kaimega beat me to the response, but platforms should have been platforms that support OUYA Everywhere.***

My bad, my brain is scrambled today; “devices” would have been a better choice of words.

OUYA Everywhere is intended to make OUYA content available to non OUYA owners (MOJO, Xiaomi's box, etc). Some type of OUYA social hub that could span each device would need to be created in order to keep track of loaned games and loaned time (much like whatever e-books use).

“Why would other platforms need to support OUYA? What are you thinking with that one?”

Before investing in the development of such a large social feature the company would need to be able to rationalize the expense by estimating the return. In part this would largely fall on how large of a market OUYA Everywhere can reach despite which device is used.

Schizophretard
10-27-2014, 10:30 PM
This conversation reminds me of Sony's response to Microsoft about sharing games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

It seems to me that a digital version that makes it that simple could be done.

Victor Coleiro
10-27-2014, 10:41 PM
Yes, I must admit I thought people would remember what MS planned with the Xbox One. They had planned to enable people to loan games in a way I mentioned in my first post. It got shelved because people made a fuss over wanting physical media and not having to be occasionaly be online to play games (because of their DRM plan). People were pissed when they shelved the idea because it was truely a unique and wanted feature. It was like MS said, you want this, we take this away.

There was a huge push to get the feature back a while ago, not sure if they did reintro it.

Killswitch
10-27-2014, 11:11 PM
***Kaimega beat me to the response, but platforms should have been platforms that support OUYA Everywhere.***

My bad, my brain is scrambled today; “devices” would have been a better choice of words.

OUYA Everywhere is intended to make OUYA content available to non OUYA owners (MOJO, Xiaomi's box, etc). Some type of OUYA social hub that could span each device would need to be created in order to keep track of loaned games and loaned time (much like whatever e-books use).

“Why would other platforms need to support OUYA? What are you thinking with that one?”

Before investing in the development of such a large social feature the company would need to be able to rationalize the expense by estimating the return. In part this would largely fall on how large of a market OUYA Everywhere can reach despite which device is used.

I think that is overcomplicating it.

OUYA needs to think of OUYA (not Everywhere) and if OUYA had a network there would be more games that use networking and more that would still be active. This does not have to be some massive feature. It's basically "free to try" but over a network. Anything that Everywhere is on should be about to use the feature since it would be on OUYA's infrastructure and wouldn't need to be device specific or anything. It all goes through the same OUYA backend no matter what device. At least that's how I'm seeing it.

Chii_Dev
10-28-2014, 01:36 AM
Schizophretard – This was such a funny response after the disaster with Microsoft’s sharing policy. I have a feeling that Sony initially was going the same route as Microsoft until they saw the negative uproar to follow, and then amended their presentation for the next day.

Victor Coleiro – (Personal preference) This wasn't for me, but I agree that it was unique and I can see why it would be wanted by some. Unless the system is like the OUYA or Steam where the only option is digital content I think there will always be resistance. True or not, people want to believe they own the game they just paid $60 for, having that physical copy gives them reassurance.

Killswitch – Not trying to provoke a disagreement, I’d like to think by now you know how much I enjoy this box. But OUYA tried to focus exclusively on OUYA and they made too many mistakes; at this point pivoting to OUYA Everywhere is a solid decision.

-OUYA Everywhere will increase the install base significantly allowing developers to sell to a wider audience.

-With OUYA Everywhere being on multiple devices, this should entice new developers that would have previously avoided OUYA due to the console’s reputation or lack of information.

-Overtime it will help repair the tarnished image that OUYA has been dealing with these last few years. Personally I still don’t think we have seen this consoles equivalent to Mario or Halo, while so many believe it peeked at Towerfall.

"Anything that Everywhere is on should be able to use the feature since it would be on OUYA's infrastructure and wouldn't need to be device specific or anything. It all goes through the same OUYA back-end no matter what device. At least that's how I'm seeing it."

I see what you're saying, and that might be the case; I have no clue how OUYA has each device linked into their store, running their programs, or any other back-of-the-house functionality. Now that we have talked a little about it I am slightly curious if they have any intentions to incorporate more social functions across all devices.

Killswitch
10-28-2014, 03:08 AM
Ummmmmmm...was just adding to the discussion...

OUYA Everywhere is still the same OUYA just on more devices, doesn't change the infrastructure from what we see anyway. Of course there are some changes and all that so they work but would assume they're working from the OUYA side of things. Or maybe there is a big Skynet like thing...

Nathaniel Bennett
10-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Something like this wouldn't be up to OUYA.

Yes it would? It's OUYA's store isn't it? Their the ones that should be implementing DRM, not developers? Saying all this, I'm suppose to be supporting free software (You know GNU and that) free software folks hate DRM (Digital Rights Management) as it restricts what the users (us) can do with the software.

Implementating a digital licensing system, like on the PS4, would require you to authenticate your digital purchases every time you boot up - restricting you from using the software you own if your not connected to the internet! This is bad.

Everything above, saying theat people support physical media Is a completely pointless argument for a device that has no capabilities of reading physical media.

If you buy an OUYA, it's becuase your online - you have an internet connection - so we can assume this to be true for everyone. (However it's still nice to play the games which we purchased, offline.)

OUYA could let users distrubute binary copies of the games, and trust them that no pirating will go on - atleast the good citenzens in the world would actually invest in the platform.

In the good old days, friends actually used to go to each others houses, and play split screen multiplayer in like mini groups. I remember 4 player split screen mario kart on my gamecube - we're all just huddling around a 15" CRT tv....I'm rambling again!

Chii_Dev
10-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Ummmmmmm...was just adding to the discussion...

OUYA Everywhere is still the same OUYA just on more devices, doesn't change the infrastructure from what we see anyway. Of course there are some changes and all that so they work but would assume they're working from the OUYA side of things. Or maybe there is a big Skynet like thing...

My bad Killswitch, I wasn't intending that to come off negative; it was a good discussion point you made.