PDA

View Full Version : Would Ouya / Ouya games benefit from a '# of downloads' info stat?

Brown339
10-02-2014, 05:40 PM
I typically judge a game's appeal and downloads based around the rating and associated number of ratings it has received. (Yes, I'm very much aware this is a misguided representation, as a majority of gamers more than likely don't even rate games.)

To that end, do you think Ouya games could benefit from a '# of downloads' info statistic? Similar to Google play, it wouldn't be the actual number, but a range. Eg: '1,000 - 5,000 installs'.

It'd give players a better sense of the game's public appeal, as well as give other dev's some encouragement to develop for the console. Of course, this could easily backfire if numbers are low across the board.

Kaimega
10-02-2014, 05:50 PM
I think, at this point an time, it is about as good an idea as OUYA showing off their sales numbers. With the media out there waiting for anything to put OUYA in a bad position (even if the numbers are better than expected), they would spin this around like they did the Towerfall sales charts. So my answer to that is no. :)

Kuesco
10-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Why not? would be very easy to implement and showing a two digits number (sorry, Towerfall maybe need three digits) canīt ruin the screen.

Brown339
10-02-2014, 07:22 PM
I like the idea. I'm not sure why Ouya deviates so much from the android market design...

Victor Coleiro
10-03-2014, 12:21 AM
I think Kaimega pretty much summed it up. At this point in time while Ouya is still building the business and ramping up Ouya numbers. Seeing the download stats would give the press some ammo to attack Ouya further. Worse still, it would act as a disincentive to developers.

arcticdog
10-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Also agree with Kaimega. It's far too easy to extrapolate what that means in terms of sales (and OUYA continues to want to keep that information private). Especially if it's a premium title where a download more or less indicates a sale.

I thought the O-ranking factors the total downloads into it in some capacity. If that's true, then at least at a very abstract level, that information is being relayed. It's just not in a direct way.

RiotingSpectre
10-04-2014, 09:22 PM
I think, at this point an time, it is about as good an idea as OUYA showing off their sales numbers. With the media out there waiting for anything to put OUYA in a bad position (even if the numbers are better than expected), they would spin this around like they did the Towerfall sales charts. So my answer to that is no. :)

Also agree with Kaimega. It's far too easy to extrapolate what that means in terms of sales (and OUYA continues to want to keep that information private). Especially if it's a premium title where a download more or less indicates a sale.

I thought the O-ranking factors the total downloads into it in some capacity. If that's true, then at least at a very abstract level, that information is being relayed. It's just not in a direct way.

You both are correct as showing sales numbers would be woefully detrimental. Regardless if the information may be good or not, it will be distorted to be used against the OUYA scene. People see you how they want to see you so trying to convince anyone that isn't already convinced by this point will be nigh impossible with this particular choice of action not being the correct way to go about things.

Yes, the O-Rank factors in total downloads coupled with playing time, amount of times it's booted up, purchases, and all that other stuff. It's a cluster of just about every statistics the console has.

Brown339
10-04-2014, 09:59 PM
I agree with your guys' sentiment, but I'm inclined to remind everyone that the Ouya's been out for just under two years now. If at this point Ouya co. is 'still building the business and ramping up Ouya numbers', then I don't think any new initiative such as the one proposed could damage the company further. Understandably businesses take some time to get into the full swing of their respective business model. But I believe it's time to stop throwing excuses for the company. By two years in, a sustainable business plan should have been conceived. The consumers should have been given what was promised in their initial claims. When other kickstarted companies release their products with missing features, consumers and the press generally jump all over them. There's no reason as to why we should hold Ouya co. to a different standard.

Nitrogen_Widget
10-05-2014, 02:52 AM
I dont know how many shields, Mojo's, game sticks, or firetvs were sold.
Why? because those companies dont release hard numbers.

Why should ouya?

Ouya has lived almost 2 yrs longer than the internet claimed it would be in business and the internet appears to have a whole lot of elitist Narcissists based on the authors of articles and the comments that follow.
Never saw so many people pissed off over a product that doesn't hurt anyone still being made and selling.

I love it.
Ouya is doing something no small business has ever done and they are doing it well.
I've seen companies with a lot more money and resources put out worse products.

Eldon.McGuinness
10-05-2014, 03:18 AM
Perhaps a happy median would be to have a number that shows a percentage of penetration the application has?

5000 OUYAS have installed it
10000 OUYAS exist

which would be a 50% penetration rate, this way the numbers are not visible but the stats are still there.

tozeleal
10-05-2014, 09:07 AM
With ouya everywhere thing will be hard

Sent from my MP720 using Tapatalk 2

Brown339
10-05-2014, 08:45 PM
I dont know how many shields, Mojo's, game sticks, or firetvs were sold.
Why? because those companies dont release hard numbers.

Why should ouya?

So, Ouya should just do what the competition does / does not do?

I agree with Eldon's idea. That's actually a pretty unique way to get around the numbers issue.

Schizophretard
10-06-2014, 11:57 PM
I don't think seeing a download statistic would give me a better sense of a game's public appeal. It would just tell me how appealing everything before a download was like the tile art, video, screen shots, description, etc. because those are the types of things that inspire a download. But those are things I can already see myself and determine for myself if I find them appealing before I download. So, if a download statistic was there then all it would tell me is how many people I either agree or disagree with on how appealing those things are.

Killswitch
10-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Been waiting for that convincing argument, haven't seen it yet.