PDA

View Full Version : Developers Able To Generate Redeem Codes Themselves.

RiotingSpectre
09-17-2014, 05:17 AM
When it comes to options the OUYA console can be very lopsided and this is one of those things that's leaning towards the wrong side. When I inquire about a contest I have to go straight to OUYA Incorporate for the redeem codes instead of the developer since they can't generate them themselves. Me (a consumer) aside I think the addition of a feature on OUYA.tv that enables developers to generate their own codes on the fly would be incredible. Indie Gamer Chick wanted to hand out some free OUYA games during her Twitter brigade but she found out that the developers whom she was friends with couldn't generate them themselves. This is very limiting and is a feature that would go a long way.

OUYA Incorporate is fast but they shouldn't be required as no middle-man in general should be required. The possibilities and situations can be quite staggering in amount if you think really hard on the question: "If I was a developer and had the ability to generate my own redeem codes for my own game(s) then in what fun and/or generous ways could I hand out?".

Killswitch
09-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Apple allows developers to pull 100 codes. This way they can do contests, giveaways, give to press, etc.

Schizophretard
09-17-2014, 07:35 AM
I agree with this so strongly that I'm a little surprised that it isn't already an option.

RiotingSpectre
09-17-2014, 07:44 AM
I agree with this so strongly that I'm a little surprised that it isn't already an option.

I'm not.

DrunkPunk
09-17-2014, 07:56 AM
This is a great idea, and I only learned recently that they had to go through OUYA themselves to get the codes. The devs should definitely be allowed the ability the generate their own codes.

Killswitch
09-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Doesn't have to be 100 obviously. Market isn't as big as Apple.

25 sounds like a good number to me but then those people have to be doing it for the right reasons which is review copies, contests, etc. Then if they need more, maybe they go to OUYA at that point

Schizophretard
09-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Doesn't have to be 100 obviously. Market isn't as big as Apple.

25 sounds like a good number to me but then those people have to be doing it for the right reasons which is review copies, contests, etc. Then if they need more, maybe they go to OUYA at that point

If it is their game then wouldn't any reason be the right reason?

Killswitch
09-17-2014, 02:28 PM
If it is their game then wouldn't any reason be the right reason?

Don't forget that is 25 less copies sold so if they're just giving it to their family who does that help?

Rhellik
09-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Well without a limit devs could let's say "sell" the game on their website and give out codes only skipping ouya inc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffry84
09-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Well without a limit devs could let's say "sell" the game on their website and give out codes only skipping ouya inc.
That just sounds like what Ouya Inc. would probably like to avoid. Would you just give up your 1/3 of the cake?

RiotingSpectre
09-17-2014, 06:30 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then why are Killswitch and I getting a shit-ton of redeem codes if this heavy weighted risk is actually the problem?

Pat1986
09-17-2014, 06:30 PM
then ouya should put out a rule that forbidds selling those codes othwise you'll be banned from Discover or so.

timmytot666
09-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Orrrrr who cares? xD I think that they should be able to generate their own codes. When I was talking to the Dev behind Lemonade Factory I and II he said that he had gotten a hold of Ouya for game codes (I was gonna get one for helping him with something) and here we are 3 months later still twiddling our thumbs. If the Dev himself can't get a damn code then why do they even exist? Better question; why would the Dev try when he could get it to people a better way (he ended up sending me a windows copy in Itch.io) So they were bypassed anyways do to their own laziness/apathy/whatever reason it was.

RiotingSpectre
09-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Orrrrr who cares? xD I think that they should be able to generate their own codes. When I was talking to the Dev behind Lemonade Factory I and II he said that he had gotten a hold of Ouya for game codes (I was gonna get one for helping him with something) and here we are 3 months later still twiddling our thumbs. If the Dev himself can't get a damn code then why do they even exist? Better question; why would the Dev try when he could get it to people a better way (he ended up sending me a windows copy in Itch.io) So they were bypassed anyways do to their own laziness/apathy/whatever reason it was.

You're right. It's overall a detrimental thing against developer interest by not having them able to redeem their own codes. They (rightfully) like to be in charge of their products and without the slide in their little playground they're going to not have as much fun.

Jeffry84
09-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Anyway about the selling Ouya games outside of Discover, I know at least of one. I didn't buy it either from Discover or its site, but I think it's just a sideloadable .apk available to download once you pay, and likely no slice of cake for Ouya Inc.

RiotingSpectre
09-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Anyway about the selling Ouya games outside of Discover, I know at least of one. I didn't buy it either from Discover or its site, but I think it's just a sideloadable .apk available to download once you pay, and likely no slice of cake for Ouya Inc.

I know what game you're talking about if I'm recalling things correctly. It was Paragon Infinite (https://www.ouya.tv/game/Paragon-Infinite/), correct? The developer was having people download the apk for free on his launch day along with having the option to purchase it off his website for the apk for one dollar afterwards. That's his right as a developer to do that. OUYA Incorporate doesn't have any say nor complaint in their book against such actions since it's his intellectual property.

Jeffry84
09-17-2014, 09:52 PM
No, Riot. It's another game I remember the developer not agreeing with some Ouya Inc. rule or decision and requested the game to be removed from Discover. The removal didn't happen, but I just verified the game is also sold on the dev's website.

RiotingSpectre
09-17-2014, 09:54 PM
No, Riot. It's another game I remember the developer not agreeing with some Ouya Inc. rule or decision and requested the game to be removed from Discover. The removal didn't happen, but I just verified the game is also sold on the dev's website.

And that's their right. OUYA Incorporate has certain agreements but I'm pretty sure there's nothing prohibiting a developer from doing such a thing if they want to. This goes back to the point that they should have this feature implemented as a means to garner developer interest and improve the interest of those already on the console. Nothing bad will come of it.

Pat1986
09-17-2014, 09:54 PM
ah...isnt that game even in the back to school sale right now?

Sluup
09-17-2014, 09:56 PM

Rose in Time? Whatever the name is.

RiotingSpectre
09-17-2014, 10:01 PM

That was created by Sophie Houlden, correct? She's a very strong independent individual so there's no doubt in my mind that she would have some things to say against OUYA Incorporate. She was also a big advocator for the removal of the forced demo policy.

Jeffry84
09-17-2014, 10:01 PM
ah...isnt that game even in the back to school sale right now?

Yes and Yes

Kaimega
09-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Rose and Time WAS in fact pulled from discover over the FTG issue. (you couldn't get the game, nor search for it) But she later put it back on Discover afterwards.

Killswitch
09-23-2014, 12:46 AM
Asked on dev hours. The answer is no. While it would make it easier, it's to protect the integrity of the process.

To clear up the answer a little.

You have the obvious selling of codes which we mentioned.

But also games aren't required to handle them via receipt checks and since they do not require a proper receipts check, there is a chance the game would cause confusion to too many users because it would appear as if you had to buy the game again when its done wrong.

And they have not standardized the payment model for the promoted product (a game has a promoted product if a BUY button appears). Which means that they do not require that a developer's promoted product be something logical like the Full Game Unlock. It can be any entitlement in the game.

RiotingSpectre
09-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Asked on dev hours. The answer is no. While it would make it easier, it's to protect the integrity of the process.

To clear up the answer a little.

You have the obvious selling of codes which we mentioned.

But also games aren't required to handle them via receipt checks and since they do not require a proper receipts check, there is a chance the game would cause confusion to too many users because it would appear as if you had to buy the game again when its done wrong.

And they have not standardized the payment model for the promoted product (a game has a promoted product if a BUY button appears). Which means that they do not require that a developer's promoted product be something logical like the Full Game Unlock. It can be any entitlement in the game.

What a load of horseshit.

Oldkid Livegen
09-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Remember that day when Towerfall went on sale on the Humble Store ? I'm pretty sure the redeem code was generated live from the Humble Store website. So, I guess Ouya Inc. can occasionally lend their code generating magic wand to any third party.

Schizophretard
10-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Don't forget that is 25 less copies sold so if they're just giving it to their family who does that help?

Their family. If I were a dev then my family would be the first on my list. :)

Jeffry84
10-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Their family. If I were a dev then my family would be the first on my list. :)

If I had to give a game to my family and friends, I'd likely give them a totally unlocked .apk to sideload.