PDA

View Full Version : OUYA Inc. PICK ONE! Multiple Profiles or Save Files!!!!!!! [Rage Rant]

LightyKD
08-26-2014, 12:26 AM
I swear, if I come across one more OUYA game that has only one save file, I'm gonna flip my script! I get that Multiple profiles were standard starting from Android 4.2 but the way things on this console are set up, it seems as if you can have multiple logins on the console. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I just downloaded Tetris today, thinking that my Wife would enjoy this. That action doesnt mean that I dont want to give the game a shot. I fire up the damn game only to not see any options for multiple save files! WTF?! The OUYA IS NOT A SMARTPHONE! It's a freggin games console that is most likely used by multiple people in the same house. Even the classic Wii had a tacked on profile system. It was via the Mii characters and not through the Wii Menu.

Having multiple profiles gives people a sense of ownership. My wife plays with the OUYA every now and then but she would be more inclined if she had her own setbof saves that she is invested in. I'm sure many people feel that way. If the OUYA is incapable of having multiple profiles due to Android 4.1 then, we need a Mii like system to tie save files to individuals within a house and, dammit, multiple saves need to be mandatory!!! I'll say it again, MAN-DA-TORY!!!!!!!!!! At this rate, I might as well make a list of every OUYA game that lacks multiple save files.

Pat1986
08-26-2014, 12:30 AM
no need to get this emotional lol. just ask the devs to add it.

arcticdog
08-26-2014, 12:34 AM
I imagine the challenge with multiple profiles has much to do with resolving which account is the one that owns the licenses that are bought. That alone will spur a debate about the design direction.

Save files, on the other hand, are completely a developer thing. The best OUYA can do there is to extend the ODK to accommodate local storage in a way to facilitate this. But it would be up to the developer to actually implement it.

ChrisGuin
08-26-2014, 12:42 AM
I ran into this last week, trying to show off So Many Me and Fist of Awesome to my brothers - I had to either erase my progress or let them start at my current position. I figure Fist of Awesome is an Android port, so I sort of understand why it's the way it is - I didn't think So Many Me was a port, though.

sconfig
08-26-2014, 12:48 AM
So, all your asking devs to do is look back to the 80's and have save slots. right? It makes sense but perhaps it should be handled on a case by case.

Schizophretard
08-26-2014, 01:12 AM
I think LightyKD has a good point that it isn't a smart phone. Having one save on a smart phone makes some sense because a smart phone isn't usually a shared device. A video game console is a shared device. A single player game on a console is still a multiple user game because a console is a shared device usually on the shared family TV. A game with only one save seems similar to me to having touch controls still showing up.

LightyKD
08-26-2014, 01:17 AM
Darn right I'm being emotional! This is something that holds OUYA back in the eyes of the general populace. The fact that some of you dont think this should be mandatory proves that the ''I've got mine'' mentality needs to be squashed. I get that there could be some licensing issues but that can be solved by locking game receipts to a console and designating one profile as the buying profile and not allowing other OUYA accounts on a console to acquire licenses until it's activated on another system and with that the other OUYA accounts can only install on the other system.

Sluup
08-26-2014, 03:26 AM
I'd rather have passwords, those were awesome. :D

Ultramon
08-26-2014, 05:12 AM

Actually that would be so awesome... who knows how many codes I've exchanged with friends on games. But therein lies the problem .. were do you draw a line with content distro. But granted.. I'm 'ol school on the whole 'digital' content thing myself. Even though I have books on Amazon and Flicks on VuDu... in the back of my mind, my whole collection could be shot. I'd rather have the real Physical copy in my hand.. or an EXACT copy of my purchase on my own hard-drive or storage device. Permanent. I bought it, and it is now mine. Not subject to internet connection, nor a developer no-longer supporting. I shudder to think the money I would lose to a 'cloud cluster***'.

Schizophretard
08-26-2014, 05:26 AM

If a game saved automatically like many OUYA games do, had extra save slots, and had passwords then it would be the best of all worlds for me. I would just select the save slot for ordinary use but use the password to restore the save if I ever have to uninstall a game.

Ultramon
08-26-2014, 05:48 AM
If a game saved automatically, Etc .. and had passwords then it would be the best of all worlds for me..

I really do agree. Always loved the password saves, etc. But no-one is taking into account (besides Lighty slightly] about game 'ownership'. That's the crutch between ouya purchase on one, and an account on another. Me?? I want the game I payed for... no bones. - Not that I will have any probs, but I've planned to buy me a WiKi-Pad (ouya) this holiday. Hopefully I will not run into any content issues between my ouya devices. -- (Besides.. if I bought it. Give me total access to my purchase).
Ultramon realizes many restrictions are dev base: Must have wifi/internet/gps/sociological background/etc .. so I'm not beatin' the console. Hardly.. I love it. :)

LightyKD
08-26-2014, 07:13 PM
As much as I used to hate passwords, I can see having them for save file retrieval in the event of a game delete or a console swap. Of course, cloud saves would be preferred in those event but I can understand password saves being a cheaper method.

simple-smile
08-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Might it be feasible to have profiles that are all a part of the same account? So, games would still be bought with the main profile (simple-smile.simple-smile), but other users could have their own profiles (simple-smile.roomieBob), without the possibility to buy games.

Maybe that's less of an Android hack. Games would still need to save according to profile, but at least ownership would be no problem.

LightyKD
08-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Here is an app on the Play Store that allows for multiple accounts under Android 4.1

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fahrbot.apps.switchme&hl=en

Apparently, there is some hidden code in Android 4.1 that allows for the use of multiple profiles...

Article 1: http://www.pocketables.com/2012/08/android-4-1-includes-hidden-code-for-multiple-user-profiles-rooted-users-can-try-it-out-now.html

Article 2: http://www.droidforums.net/threads/how-to-enable-multi-user-in-android-4-1-x-not-4-2.236936/

Article 3: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-enable-the-hidden-multiple-user-accounts-feature-in-android-jelly-bean/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpFUd0eSJE8

I can see a new OUYA Menu for multiple users that ONLY has the PLAY option with the main user having all option (PLAY, DISCOVER, MAKE, MANAGE). They could possibly even have a suggest to main user function or a wishlist function where they could add DISCOVER to the other user accounts but instead of a buy/download option, they would have a "add to wishlist" option that the main user could check out and download as desired.

ThatGuy
08-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Hi All,

To clarify, the OUYA console does nothing to prevent developers from having multiple save slots in their games.

We don't even restrict how much they can install on your console. We restrict where they serve it from (only 1.2 GB from our servers, but as much as you want from your own server) See: Bard's Tale HD edition which installs an extra 5GB.

We don't restrict this to maintain our openness.

The developer chose to make / port the game in this way. I believe it has been expressed on this forum, that problems with specific games need to be a conversation between the gamer and the developer. It is up to you to tell the developer (or the world) that certain games are just not fun, or do not please you for reason X,Y,Z.

I think it could be useful to start a list of games that should (but do not) have multiple save slots. Or a list of games where purchases appear to go out of wack because the developer is changing products. Or a list of games that crash on startup (only one non-moderator-person replied to me on that thread, btw :-p) Or even a list of games that are just not fun.

And since we are sharing videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG9ZWUitFik

Sorry, LKD, not trying to trivialize your feelings, you know I will look out for you where I can, just saying send the energy to the right place, in this case it's the developers.

LightyKD
08-27-2014, 12:43 AM
Hi All,

To clarify, the OUYA console does nothing to prevent developers from having multiple save slots in their games.

We don't even restrict how much they can install on your console. We restrict where they serve it from (only 1.2 GB from our servers, but as much as you want from your own server) See: Bard's Tale HD edition which installs an extra 5GB.

The developer chose to make / port the game in this way. I believe it has been expressed on this forum, that problems with specific games need to be a conversation between the gamer and the developer. It is up to you to tell the developer (or the world) that certain games are just not fun, or do not please you for reason X,Y,Z.

I think it could be useful to start a list of games that should (but do not) have multiple save slots. Or a list of games where purchases appear to go out of wack because the developer is changing products. Or a list of games that crash on startup (only one non-moderator-person replied to me on that thread, btw :-p) Or even a list of games that are just not fun.

Sorry, LKD, not trying to trivialize your feelings, you know I will look out for you where I can, just saying send the energy to the right place, in this case it's the developers.

*giggle* Love the video! Also I'm not as angry as the words make me seem but this is a serious issue and while I'm all for open development, some standards should be made strict in certain areas. If OUYA Inc can't figure out a way to have a profile system on the current console then enforcement of multiple saves is the next best thing. That aside I hope you guys do consider my multiple users / playlist idea.

Killswitch
08-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for clearing that up for people.

RiotingSpectre
08-27-2014, 10:31 AM
@ThatGuy: Stick to the shadows, comrade. I just saw this thread and wouldn't have liked it if it was a thread where it was a wolves den and you got chewed up. I can't be your guardian Grim Reaper if you zoom pass into the light. Thank you for the response though. If I had seen this thread prior to you then I would have posted the same exact thing.

simple-smile
09-02-2014, 12:40 PM
While I understand the it's the dev's option to put in multiple save files, I do believe Lighty was speaking about something that *is* in the domain of OUYA's programming.

E.g., the Xbox has the possibility to sign in as different users. Each user can launch games that may or may not have multiple save slots. Each user only accesses their own save(s).
Same with profiles on Steam or any Multi User Operating System. You log in, and then you access your (and only your) content.

Devs could bring in more save slots, but these would still be accessible to every person holding a controller.
I (and I think Lighty, too) would like a more basic differentiation of users, having a real barrier.

This would be great if multiple people share the same console, and would be especially helpful for families with kids, because they wouldn't be able to hit purchase on their accounts (yes, I know there's a PIN option right now that serves a similar function) and maybe wouldn't even be able to browse discover.

timmytot666
09-02-2014, 12:43 PM
There are ways on android to integrate multiple saves but what it does is split profiles into whole other systems that also have their own apps and saved data so if you don't have a hub this isn't very feasible. If there was a way to split profiles but share the bulk of memory between accounts then id be all for it.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

LightyKD
09-02-2014, 06:37 PM
I posted those links about Android 4.1 and multiple users earlier. Sadly I don't have a second OUYA to test things out. For those of you with a Android 4.2 device, does Android make a "sdcard/android" folder for each user?