PDA

View Full Version : Custom Suspended Acrylic Case

reapingsouls
08-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Newcomer to the OUYA. Haven't made any firmware changes as of yet, but am planning to install CM11 KIT KAT.
Was tired of the crappy ventilation and weak wi-fi signal. Decided to make a case using 2 x Acrylic bases and some screws.
As you can see I used the OUYA board's original inset grooves and have nuts pinching it there suspended between the 2 pieces of acrylic.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10634048_10152436293768173_547881911181034598_o.jp g

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10634048_10152436293773173_6877253081746926999_o.j pg

REAPINGSOULS

DrunkPunk
08-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Fun! Do you put it on it's side while using it?

reapingsouls
08-21-2014, 01:15 PM
I read putting it on the side helps wifi quality also, but I also read that the upright stance helps cooling. I suppose I can give it a try. Ive read some posts about people soldering external wifi adapter or even soldering a single copper wire from the on-board ceramic chip antenna but honestly after seeing how small the solder points are I don't feel comfortable trying. As it is, Ive gained a boost in ventilation and wifi signal quality.

DrunkPunk
08-21-2014, 01:20 PM
I read putting it on the side helps wifi quality also, but I also read that the upright stance helps cooling. I suppose I can give it a try. Ive read some posts about people soldering external wifi adapter or even soldering a single copper wire from the on-board ceramic chip antenna but honestly after seeing how small the solder points are I don't feel comfortable trying. As it is, Ive gained a boost in ventilation and wifi signal quality.

Yep, there are many posts about Wi-Fi mods and most of them help, but if you're not experiencing drops then I wouldn't risk it either. :D

The reason I asked is because I'm sure that a bit of heat would build up under the board with the fan on top and nowhere for it to go. If you did use it like that and had a thermometer gun, I would be very interested to know the results!

reapingsouls
08-22-2014, 05:20 PM
I haven't played much with it since i made the case, But I'll definitely post some temperature readings.

DrunkPunk
08-25-2014, 09:14 AM
I haven't played much with it since i made the case, But I'll definitely post some temperature readings.

Excellent. Let us know! Will be a good reference for other modders. :D

reapingsouls
08-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Okay, so I installed CM11 Kit Kat (Nightlies) with Tegra Overclock Ouya Edition app installed also. Using Trickster MOD Kernel Settings I have the kernel scheduler set to OnDemand with the GPU clocked at 520MHz. The CPU clocks are locked with the max of 1.7GHz. Going to run some stress tests and benchmarks tonight. No thermometer gun but will monitor temps using the Trickster MOD app. All yesterday while installing apps and running Youtube videos I was still under 57C. *Also I have the OUYA video output set to 720P for better frames and performance*

DrunkPunk
08-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Okay, so I installed CM11 Kit Kat (Nightlies) with Tegra Overclock Ouya Edition app installed also. Using Trickster MOD Kernel Settings I have the kernel scheduler set to OnDemand with the GPU clocked at 520MHz. The CPU clocks are locked with the max of 1.7GHz. Going to run some stress tests and benchmarks tonight. No thermometer gun but will monitor temps using the Trickster MOD app. All yesterday while installing apps and running Youtube videos I was still under 57C. *Also I have the OUYA video output set to 720P for better frames and performance*

Fun list of soft mods you have there. Now I'm also interested in seeing how everything plays with one another!