PDA

View Full Version : Putting an ouya inside a larger case. Cooling considerations?

jamesbeat
08-19-2014, 03:00 AM
I'm considering putting my Ouya inside a larger case, perhaps a NES case or similar.
The idea is to have room for a built-in hub, and possibly a hard drive.

What should I do to ensure that the cooling is adequate?

Should I mount the board flat with the fan on the top, or is it better to keep it in the stock 'sideways' configuration?

It looks as though there are components on both sides of the board that would need cooling, and I'm concerned that something might get too hot if I alter how the board is mounted.

undftdroar
08-19-2014, 03:03 AM
you can also mount a secondary fan underneath it and as long as you have enough ventilation you should be fine.

DrunkPunk
08-19-2014, 06:27 AM
I'm considering putting my Ouya inside a larger case, perhaps a NES case or similar.
The idea is to have room for a built-in hub, and possibly a hard drive.

What should I do to ensure that the cooling is adequate?

If you are mounting a HDD in there, and it's not solid state, then you may want to add an extra fan. Any 5V USB fan will work with the OUYA when plugged into the USB port. Just make sure you get a powered hub if your HDD is unpowered.

Should I mount the board flat with the fan on the top, or is it better to keep it in the stock 'sideways' configuration?

It looks as though there are components on both sides of the board that would need cooling, and I'm concerned that something might get too hot if I alter how the board is mounted.

I would suggest mounting the OUYA board upside down with the fan on the bottom if it's no possible to do a vertical mounting. Mounting with the fan on top will run the risk of not getting adequate air movement to the bottom of the board. Just make sure the fan has enough clearance to pull air and you should be good to go!

Please take some time and browse the threads in this section. You will see some awesome case mods and what other people have done for cooling and you can go from there! :D

Nitrogen_Widget
08-19-2014, 12:18 PM
any mini ITX sized case will work considering much hotter running CPU's are stuffed into them currently.