PDA

View Full Version : [Staff Review] The DrunkPunk Reviews: Flappy Gorillas

DrunkPunk
08-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Flappy Gorillas (https://www.ouya.tv/game/Flappy-Gorillas/)

https://www.filepicker.io/api/file/KGPCgf8KQ8iNncpLM2YI

What is a "Flappy Gorilla"?

Well it is a gorilla but it does not flap. :)
Way back when, in the before time, in the long long ago there was GORILLAS.BAS, written in QBasic. It was distributed with DOS, open sourced, to try and sway people over to the Quick Beginner’s All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code side and help people break into the world of coding. I myself spent way too much time playing with it on my Commodore 64; making the sun frown, setting the gravity super low, etc.
Now the clever people over at Blubberquark Software (http://blubberquark.itch.io/) have taken the original concept and created a flappyish, hot-seat game that is able to bring much joy into your life.

Gameplay:

The amazing features of this game include:
- Graphics
- Sound
- Gorillas
- Bananas
- Multiplayer
- Fully Destructible Terrain
- Single Button Play
- Single Controller Use

After moving past the nostalgic "Ready Player One" prompt, you are greeted with your gorilla atop a building with more buildings to your right, some of which seem to be defying the laws of gravity but that was always a pesky nuisance anyway. Your obvious goal is to throw your S.A.B.B. (Somewhat Antigravitic Ballistic Banana) between the bizarre buildings and kill the identical gorilla on the other side while he tries to do the same to you. Simple concept.

Story:

George (the player one, or 'left', gorilla) was in love with the very beautiful Dixie. After the long a tedious courtship ritual traditionally observed by their specie of giant ape, and winning the favor of her irascible grandfather Cranky, they finally set a date and decided to tie the knot. Little did they know that their dreams were to be shattered all too soon...

After a long day of hanging out with his friends Lizzie and Ralph, climbing tall buildings while causing wanton destruction and whatnot, George decides to stop by Dixie's place and take her out for an early evening picnic. Upon reaching the top of the steps to her apartment, he notices the door is unlocked. Opening the door and stepping inside further increases his puzzlement when he hears sounds of laughter and sweet cooing coming from the back bedroom. In a rage, he runs to the door and rips it clear from the frame to see...himself, laying on Dixie's bed with her in is arms. The ape on the bed laughs maniacally at the confused looks on George & Dixie's faces. "Didn't think you had a long lost brother did you! Muahahaha! I am Eggore (the player two, or 'right', gorilla) and now that I have taken the innocence from your most prized conquest, my task is complete." Throwing them a toothy grin, Eggore jumps through the window of Dixie's apartment and runs down the street, his laughter echoing down the alleyways.

"How could you fall for such a cheap trick Dixie?! Is there no bond between us?!" George roars, after his confusion subsides. "He looked exactly like you! What was I supposed to think you prude?!" Dixie cries, tears streaming down her hairy cheeks. George thinks hard, not an easy feat mind you, about how this could happen. Watching Dixie's distress grow, it suddenly hits him; Scumlabs! That bastard Dr. Wily had cloned him! No wonder that he had no recollection of a brother, only of his two friends that had escaped with him. "It all makes sense now. I know what I must do." George mutters to himself as he moves to the gaping hole that used to be a window with a very nice flower garden on the sill, and looks out on the city.
"Don't wait up for me; I have to take care of him myself. He is me, in a fashion, and I must deal with him personally."
"George! Don't go! I love you!"
"I'm sorry, I have to. He must pay for what he has done."
With a last kiss to her furry forehead, George leaps through the wall hole and gives chase to Eggore. All he can hear is the distant "Nooooooooooo!" wailing out from an upperstory apartment with a crumbling hole for a wall.

Spotting his foe atop an adjacent building, George roars his anger and starts flinging bits of masonry in Eggore's direction. This is of course answered with peals of laughter and further rubble being flung. This continues on for 768 days, with the weaponry escalating from bits of stone and wood, to parking meters and mailboxes, people and their pets, cars, helicopters, National Guard APCs and even to the occasional ICBM. Finally running out of weapons and ideas they both crash into Scumlabs trying to keep one step ahead of each other. There they find that the devious Dr. Wily has created the ultimate weapon: the Somewhat Antigravitic Ballistic Banana, and they set out to end this once and for all.

The feud has come to this, and you're invited to help decide the fate of George & Eggore.

Conclusion:

Grab a drink, grab a friend and have fun trying to flit your way between gravity defying buildings with a ballistic banana and blow some shit up! It's an awesome way to kill an hour or two.
This has a 4 out of 5 star rating from 128 people on OUYA.tv (https://www.ouya.tv/game/Flappy-Gorillas/), and I find that I agree with that assessment. Simple gameplay, no frills, no extra controller required. All of this combined with the riveting story above, this is a must have for your OUYA library. Enjoy my friends! :D

http://www.thebatgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/4stars1.jpg

RiotingSpectre
08-09-2014, 05:15 AM
You really did do a Flappy game like you said you would... Me not getting as to why you chose this as your first aside, I enjoyed the review.

DrunkPunk
08-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Because I'm a snarky, sarcastic asshole.

The original game really does have alot of nostalgic significance for me and seeing it turned into a flappy clone; I just couldn't resist writing a silly story for a game with absolutely no story and having fun with it. :D

blubberquark
08-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Ha Ha very funny review. I looked into my files to count characters. This post is about half as long as the game's source code.

I'm glad you liked it.

DrunkPunk
08-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Ha Ha very funny review. I looked into my files to count characters. This post is about half as long as the game's source code.

I'm glad you liked it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D
I had fun writing it, not to mention playing it, and it gets a lot of play on my OUYA when kids come over or my friends and I need to settle a discussion; banana bomb time! Haha!

I'm curious if you've given any thought to porting over your game Tower of Babel? I think that would get a great response from us Ouyans.

Killswitch
08-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the forum. Half as long as the code...ha

blubberquark
08-12-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D
I'm curious if you've given any thought to porting over your game Tower of Babel? I think that would get a great response from us Ouyans.

It already runs on OUYA since December 2013, I have been developing it off and on since the Spielsalon. The animator and level designer are busy with art school right now. The game will not be finished for another 4 months. We need to put in much more content, so the generated maps feel less repetitive. There must be more stuff to find that is not carrots.

I do not want to upload the game to the store yet, because all useful feedback came from mobile players with Flappy Gorillas and from PC users with Gnome Fortress. Maybe I will reconsider, people on this forum seem more talkative than on r/ouya.

Welcome to the forum. Half as long as the code...ha
It is quite short, but it was not that easy to make. It took many hours of playtesting to get the flapping strength and explosion radius right.

Did anybody notice that the hitbox on the banana is only a single pixel big?

Killswitch
08-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Yeah...this forum is much more talkative and friendly than Reddit. I'm not even sure why people continue to use Reddit actually.
Feel free to kick your feet up and join the conversation

DrunkPunk
08-13-2014, 07:15 AM
It already runs on OUYA since December 2013, I have been developing it off and on since the Spielsalon. The animator and level designer are busy with art school right now. The game will not be finished for another 4 months. We need to put in much more content, so the generated maps feel less repetitive. There must be more stuff to find that is not carrots.

I do not want to upload the game to the store yet, because all useful feedback came from mobile players with Flappy Gorillas and from PC users with Gnome Fortress. Maybe I will reconsider, people on this forum seem more talkative than on r/ouya.

Yes, please do! We are a good crowd and many developers have found great feedback from our forum. :)

Did anybody notice that the hitbox on the banana is only a single pixel big?

Yes...yes I did.