PDA

View Full Version : Will Cyanogenmod Help Me?

jamesbeat
08-06-2014, 05:58 PM
I have an Ouya, which I bought specifically for emulators.

I have two other Android devices which I also bought specifically for emulators; a Sony Xperia Play and an Nvidia Shield.

The Play and the Shield work perfectly, and will run any emulator I care to throw at them, but not so my Ouya.
My guess is that this is because the Play and the Shield run almost stock Android, whereas the Ouya has its own custom OS.

Many of the emulators that I use are not in the Ouya store, and I have had limited success with sideloading them.

Some of them work, but others just crash, or don't work properly.

I'm guessing that the problem is with the Ouya operating system, so I looked into replacing it with stock Android.
I found Cyanogenmod, which looks promising, but I don't know if this is likely to give me better compatibility.

Installing Cyanogenmod will be nontrivial for me, because you need Windows 7, and I don't use Windows.

I could probably persuade my boss to let me use my work computer to install it, but as you can imagine, I don't want to go to all that trouble only to find it doesn't solve my problem!

Does Cyanogenmod confer better compatibility with standard Android apps?

If not, then what else should I try?

boxtropica
08-06-2014, 06:33 PM
It's most likely the hardware. What emulators are you trying to use?
The Discover store has:
-N64
-NES
-SNES
-Genesis
-PCTurbo
-More

If you NEED the emulators in the Play Store, there's a Play Store mod for OUYA that you can look into. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS MOD.
Oh, and you don't install Cyanogenmod on the OUYA with the Windows 7 installer- it's a much more difficult proccess.
http://ouya.wikia.com/wiki/Cyanogenmod

jamesbeat
08-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Here are the machines that I want to emulate:

Amstrad CPC
Atari 2600
Atari ST
BBC Micro
C64
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
MAME
N64
NES
Playstation
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
SCUMMVM
SNES
ZX Spectrum

As you can see, there are quite a few on there that are not available in the Ouya store, but there are Android emulators for all of them.

All of them are equally important, and the only reason that I own an Ouya is because I wanted a device that can emulate all of the above machines, not most of them.

I was very careful to check that there were emulators for all of the machines available for Android before I bought the Ouya.

Not having the Play store isn't too much of a problem in itself, as most of the emulators are free and available as apk's, which can be sideloaded.

The problem isn't getting them onto the ouya, it's getting them to work properly.

What is it about the Ouya's hardware that would cause certain apps to crash or malfunction, when they work fine on other devices?

boxtropica
08-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Emlators on Discover:
-Atari 2600
-C64
-MAME
-N64
-Playstation
-NES
-SNES
-Sega Master System
-Sega Genesis

Oh, and that depends on the system. For example, you can't emulate Gamecube, as Dolphin requires T4. It seems that the systems you wish to emulate wouldn't be caused by a hardware problem.

You should check the list of sideloaded OUYA games thread to see if that has your emulators.
http://goo.gl/znoJv6

Nitrogen_Widget
08-06-2014, 09:49 PM
retroarch runs on OUYA.
I don't use it but you might want to check the thread in the emulation forum.

jamesbeat
08-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Retroarch unfortunately has a few missing from my list, and they also happen to be the ones I'm having trouble with.

What is the reason that the Ouya doesn't run all Android apps like other Android devices do?

I know not every app works on every Android device, but the Ouya seems to have a particular problem.

If I could get to the bottom of that, then I could begin to try to figure out what to do about it.

flamepanther
08-07-2014, 05:00 AM
What is the reason that the Ouya doesn't run all Android apps like other Android devices do?Most of the time, the answer is Play store DRM.

jamesbeat
08-07-2014, 01:04 PM
So perhaps cyanogenmod is the answer after all?

boxtropica
08-07-2014, 06:13 PM
No. Just install the Play Store mod on your OUYA.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43253639

mmartino
08-07-2014, 06:42 PM
No. Just install the Play Store mod on your OUYA.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43253639

The play store mod will just give him access to the same apk's that he probably already has.

Yes you can install cyanogenmod for the vanilla android experience and it should resolve some of your issues with GP apk's. However the Cyanogenmod firmware from what I remember is over a year old, buggy, and abandoned. I do not know of any other projects are working on other firmware either but you can always look to see if they are out there. xda-developers.com would be your best bet

Aurélien Dispenza
08-07-2014, 07:29 PM
I am on CM on my Ouya, it's work very very fine :-D

But don't use emulator...

Envoyé de mon ZP990 en utilisant Tapatalk

knave
08-07-2014, 09:33 PM
In my experience, android version...then processor, ram and Graphical capability are some of the reasons for an app not to run. File structure is also a common issue on the OUYA. Check into those.

jamesbeat
08-07-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm not trying to do anything extreme hardware-wise, some of these machines are Z80 based.
If the apps will work on my Xperia Play, they should have no problem running on the Ouya, which has a much beefier spec.
I wonder if some if them are shutting down when they fail to detect a touchscreen?

boxtropica
08-07-2014, 11:55 PM
The play store mod will just give him access to the same apk's that he probably already has.
It also installs the Google Play framework, doesn't it?

Linuxgamer94
10-31-2014, 11:44 PM
why the ouya hate on google play?

tozeleal
10-31-2014, 11:58 PM

Ouya inc wants the best xperience with their store!
If you want google play store you just need to mod your console!

Sent from my MP720 using Tapatalk 2

Jeffry84
11-01-2014, 10:09 AM

No hate at all, imo. On a console, games should be optimised for it and not simply hoping they'll run decently on it, hence a specific store supporting one (or a limited amount of) device(s) instead of a generic store supporting everything but nothing specifically.