PDA

View Full Version : The Linux thread.

boxtropica
07-10-2014, 04:21 AM
Here is the *nix thread, for anything and everything Unix, Linux, Hurd, etc.!

(Sorry, but could a moderator/admin rename this thread to "The *nix Thread"? It would combine both Linux and all of Unix, removing the need for a seperate Unix or Unix-like thread if one were to arise.)

I have a few questions...
1 - What is an application you commonly use, but isn't included with your current distribution by default?

2 - Banshee or Rhythmbox?

3 - emacs or vi?

4 - Favorite package manager front-end?

5 - Chromium, Firefox, or what?

Just curious~!
Has hidden evil intentions

undftdroar
07-10-2014, 04:22 AM
1 - What is an application you commonly use, but isn't included with your current distribution by default?

Yakuake; it's a drop down terminal for kde

niether, i use Clementine.

3 - emacs or vi?

nano lol....or kate....vi if i had to choose, I'm not richard stallman :wink-new:

muon package manager

firefox

Sitting Fox
07-10-2014, 04:34 AM
Edited, I see. xD

1. Firefox, Tomahawk, and Workrave are some.

2&3. Not into the wars. :p

4. I guess Octopi was neat when I tried Arch? Otherwise, I'm fine with defaults and don't really have a favorite.

5. Firefox.

Eldon.McGuinness
07-10-2014, 05:19 AM
XBMC on mediacenter boxes and mediaelch for tagging media on clients

flamepanther
07-10-2014, 05:55 AM
OK, I lied. A few questions:

Steam, WIT, MakeMKV

Banshee, but only by a narrow margin

3 - emacs or vi?
Gedit
...vi if I really have to.

Synaptic

Firefox

SlingShot
07-10-2014, 06:05 AM
Vpn stuff for work. Flash player. Codecs. Non free stuff.

Honestly I store my music in the cloud. So Amazon web player or Pandora, iHeartRadio, tunein

3 - emacs or vi?
vi

command line only here.

Firefox

unplugmealready
07-11-2014, 09:09 PM
1. Citrix reciever for work purposes

2. Either or, possibly rhythmbox

3. Nano

4. Apt

5. Chromium for the extensions and Firefox for things that don't work in chromium

Kaimega
07-11-2014, 11:53 PM
OK, I lied. A few questions:

Blender

Normally Banshee, but I like Amarok, and Clementine looks dead sexy undftdroar!

3 - emacs or vi?

Nano :D

Command line as well, not used to many of these front end package managers

Chromium

undftdroar
07-12-2014, 06:17 AM
Normally Banshee, but I like Amarok, and Clementine looks dead sexy undftdroar!

it's a nice little music player, nothing fancy, it also has built in rain sounds for relaxing lol

boxtropica
07-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Blender
Nano :D

I actually use Nano all the time, but the general debate seems to be vi VS emacs. :p

Sitting Fox
07-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Hey everybody,

Seeing as Linux and the like seems to pop up in the chat now and again, I thought it might be nice to have a thread on the whole topic.

Talk about what you're running, what nice programs are available, whatever.

:D

*I have combined everything into a super thread for your convenience. - DP ;)

boxtropica
07-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Interesting!
(boxtropica lives here now.)

Sitting Fox
07-13-2014, 06:31 PM
xD

I put Bodhi 3.0.0 RC1 on my new laptop the other day. It has its rough edges in this state, but it's pretty darn nice with e19.

Thinking about making an OUYA logo conky.....

undftdroar
07-13-2014, 06:45 PM
a conky ouya logo...sounds cool.

currently running netrunner 13.06 kde 4.11, they just released netrunner 14 with kde 4.13 so now i have to do a clean install.

boxtropica
07-14-2014, 03:43 AM
Well, I'm running Ubuntu-Fedora-Arch-NixOS-ElementaryOS-Kubuntu-RHL-GNU_HURD...
If you can't tell, I distro hop A LOT. I always find myself coming back to Unity, though. I just like the design and look of Unity+Numix.

Kaimega
07-14-2014, 04:02 AM
I used Gentoo for the longest time, but I got annoyed when, not only did things not work properly, but everything also felt unoptimized for my laptop. Switched to linux Mint recently and haven't looked back.. Only apps I am using currently is Clementine for music (Thanks, Undftdroar!) jmonkeyengine, and blender.. oh and Guild Wars 2 for the occasional MMOAdventure!

Killswitch
07-14-2014, 04:31 AM
Guess I can't say nobody cares about Linux anymore.

flamepanther
07-14-2014, 05:57 AM
Strictly speaking, virtually everyone on this forum is using Linux. Just maybe not on their desktop.

Sitting Fox
07-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Here's a quick throw together as far as conky go. Decided to try the OUYA symbol.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2i74voz.png

O is both CPU, U is ram and swap. It "fills" clockwise.

Not perfect, but hey. OUYA-fies any desktop. xD

I'll probably make adjustments to it later.

boxtropica
07-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Here's a quick throw together as far as conky go. Decided to try the OUYA symbol.

O is both CPU, U is ram and swap. It "fills" clockwise.

Not perfect, but hey. OUYA-fies any desktop. xD

I'll probably make adjustments to it later.
That looks really nice!
I now feel inspired to OUYA-fie my desktop now. :p

Sitting Fox
07-21-2014, 02:31 AM
There's an OUYA wallpaper thread here, box, if you want to go that route: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12453-OUYA-related-wallpapers

Very happy, because I finally got my bluetooth stuff sorted out so that I can hook up my OUYA controller to my laptop. :D Trying to find a good gamepad setup program.

boxtropica
07-21-2014, 03:24 AM
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/unix-and-linux-system-administration-handbook-evi-nemeth/1101637009?ean=9780131480056
A REALLY good read if you want to know anything about the *nixes. It covers AIX Unix, Solaris 9, OpenSolaris, Linux, Ubuntu, RHL, and a couple more.

That said, it's probably one of the bigger books I've read- 1265 pages of pure, whopping information.
It's perfect if you need to brush up on networking, (Or learn about it) as it focuses on networking in great detail.

Sitting Fox
07-23-2014, 11:03 PM
I seem to have figured out how to have my OUYA controller be treated as an Xbox 360 one for games that only support that (and get the keys on the OUYA one wrong and won't let me change it). I used xboxdrv with these instructions (http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/558748653738497361/?l=english).

Ended up with this, if it's helpful for anyone:

xboxdrv --evdev /dev/input/event16 --evdev-absmap ABS_X=x1,ABS_Y=y1,ABS_RX=x2,ABS_RY=y2 --axismap -Y1=Y1,-Y2=Y2 --evdev-keymap BTN_A=a,BTN_X=b,BTN_B=x,BTN_C=y,BTN_Y=lb,BTN_Z=rb, BTN_TL=tl,BTN_TR=tr,BTN_TL2=du,BTN_TR2=dd,BTN_SELE CT=dl,BTN_START=dr,BTN_MODE=lt,BTN_THUMBL=rt,BTN_T HUMBR=start --mimic-xpad --silent &

The only problem I seem to have is that it sets this up as being a second controller. I have a game that seems to be picking up the "real" first controller, which does nothing while the Xbox 360 emulation is going on. I think I need to figure out how to swap the order somehow, or hide the real one.

Starfighter
07-23-2014, 11:19 PM
I don't use Linux on a PC on a daily basis but I can chip in as well because why not. :)

Pidgin (mostly back when MSN was still around).

Neither.

3 - emacs or vi?
Nano here, too. :)

Synaptic.

Chromium.

unplugmealready
07-26-2014, 01:22 AM
I seem to have figured out how to have my OUYA controller be treated as an Xbox 360 one for games that only support that (and get the keys on the OUYA one wrong and won't let me change it). I used xboxdrv with these instructions (http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/558748653738497361/?l=english).

xboxdrv --evdev /dev/input/event16 --evdev-absmap ABS_X=x1,ABS_Y=y1,ABS_RX=x2,ABS_RY=y2 --axismap -Y1=Y1,-Y2=Y2 --evdev-keymap BTN_A=a,BTN_X=b,BTN_B=x,BTN_C=y,BTN_Y=lb,BTN_Z=rb, BTN_TL=tl,BTN_TR=tr,BTN_TL2=du,BTN_TR2=dd,BTN_SELE CT=dl,BTN_START=dr,BTN_MODE=lt,BTN_THUMBL=rt,BTN_T HUMBR=start --mimic-xpad --silent &

The only problem I seem to have is that it sets this up as being a second controller. I have a game that seems to be picking up the "real" first controller, which does nothing while the Xbox 360 emulation is going on. I think I need to figure out how to swap the order somehow, or hide the real one.
That's handy. I just got a steam account too, so I could also set it up on my laptop. Even though I have Xbox controllers I don't want to sync and re sync every time to the xbox. But I have a spare ouya controller I can use.

boxtropica
07-26-2014, 01:45 AM
Off-topic, but I was listening to an RSM lecture and heard the most hilarious thing- a segment on the Church of Emacs. xD
http://youtu.be/EOT_3TCE40w?t=42m5s

undftdroar
07-26-2014, 02:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/MTB4Zwhl.jpg

Sitting Fox
07-26-2014, 02:20 AM
That's handy. I just got a steam account too, so I could also set it up on my laptop. Even though I have Xbox controllers I don't want to sync and re sync every time to the xbox. But I have a spare ouya controller I can use.

Hey unplugmealready,

It looks like you can set up the OUYA controllers in Steam's Big Picture mode. Open it up, click the gear in the corner, and hit the controllers option and go from there.

Not all games seem to rely on it (like this lone one I'm dealing with), but it definitely may work out for many other games as a much simpler solution.

unplugmealready
07-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Hey unplugmealready,

It looks like you can set up the OUYA controllers in Steam's Big Picture mode. Open it up, click the gear in the corner, and hit the controllers option and go from there.

Not all games seem to rely on it (like this lone one I'm dealing with), but it definitely may work out for many other games as a much simpler solution.
If it works for most games it would be a bonus, I was actually contemplating buying a new wireless controller for my laptop but knowing I have others knocking around that can do the same job is a good money saver. Thanks for the heads up sitting fox

Starfighter
07-26-2014, 09:50 PM
http://ultraimg.com/images/NIQXv.jpg

The classic documentary Revolution OS (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308808/), which is about the birth of Linux and the open source movement as a whole, is available on YouTube. Granted it's only 360p, but it's absolutely watchable. It's a fairly interesting watch, with plenty of interesting names in the interviews such as Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman. If you haven't already seen it, here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6P0GueyVA

undftdroar
07-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Star I don't even know how many times i watched that lol

It's a very good documentary.

boxtropica
07-27-2014, 11:10 PM
I've tried 2 GNOME FSF-approved FOSS distributions, and they both have GNOME 2. GNOME 2! I imagine hipsters saying "GNOME 3 is too main-stream."
(Gnusense, Trisquel)

flamepanther
07-28-2014, 12:00 AM
I imagine hipsters saying "GNOME 3 is too main-stream."
(Gnusense, Trisquel)
I believe the appropriate hipster trope in this case is, "older is better". ;)

Sitting Fox
07-28-2014, 02:04 AM
http://ultraimg.com/images/NIQXv.jpg

The classic documentary Revolution OS (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308808/), which is about the birth of Linux and the open source movement as a whole, is available on YouTube. Granted it's only 360p, but it's absolutely watchable. It's a fairly interesting watch, with plenty of interesting names in the interviews such as Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman. If you haven't already seen it, here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6P0GueyVA

Thanks for sharing, Starfighter! Just finished watching it. :D

I've tried 2 GNOME FSF-approved FOSS distributions, and they both have GNOME 2. GNOME 2! I imagine hipsters saying "GNOME 3 is too main-stream."
(Gnusense, Trisquel)

If I remember right, weren't there a good number of folks who disliked the changes made in 3?

undftdroar
07-28-2014, 02:46 AM
I know some people disliked the fact that gnome 3 was not as customizable as gnome 2, but i believe it grew on a lot of people.

flamepanther
07-28-2014, 02:50 AM
I know some people disliked the fact that gnome 3 was not as customizable as gnome 2, but i believe it grew on a lot of people.

There's that and also a general sentiment that if it ain't broke then not only don't fix it, but also don't force everyone to deal with you fixing it.

boxtropica
07-28-2014, 03:16 AM
Well, FLOSS distros don't like my laptop. At all.
I need to install the system76-driver package from the Sys76 PPA, but I can't on these distros because I don't have the wifi driver. Installing the deb brings up a million dependencies. I was installing them manually until I was about to bash my head on the wall.

Finally I just Chrooted into the liveCD on a host system that comes with my drivers (Open-source, not FLOSS.) and installed the package from there. Problem solved, but did it have to be so flapping complicated? :p

Sitting Fox
07-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Anyone know of a file manager that does a "group by letter" like Windows?

What it would do is make these section headers for each letter of the alphabet and show the folders and files for it.

Windows 7 and 8 changed this to not be for every letter, but multiple like A-H, etc. For those that dislike that change, it'd be something nice I could use to help get them to try Linux. Or at least try it sooner than they would otherwise.

undftdroar
07-28-2014, 07:10 PM
like this? but it separates folders G from files G.

http://i.imgur.com/vnB0CvM.png

Sitting Fox
07-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks, undftdroar! :D

Just gave it a test and it seems it may be just the thing I'm looking for. That was one fast answer! xD

Open to knowing other file managers that do it too if anyone knows of any, but Dolphin here should be good.

undftdroar
07-28-2014, 08:46 PM
no problem foxy :)

idk about any other ones but Dolphin is probably the greatest file manager at the moment. lol

Sitting Fox
07-28-2014, 09:41 PM
It looks like Konqueror also does it.

I don't seem to find the option in Nautilus, PCManFM, ROX-Filer, Thunar, or Xfe. It doesn't seem to be in Enlightenment's own either.

I didn't really bother with the ones with a double pane going on.

Dolphin seems the best for that so far. :)

Starfighter
07-29-2014, 06:13 PM
This thread has inspired me to dig up my old laptop running SliTaz 4, which is a minidistribution (~35 MB) that is surprisingly multifaceted for its size. I remember I chose this OS because the laptop running it is several years old and couldn't even run older versions of Windows without lagging in audio and video. Now it's fine.

Question: What is your favorite minidistribution?

undftdroar
07-29-2014, 06:25 PM
only lite weight distro i used is crunchbang, it's based on debian running openbox

http://crunchbang.org/

there is also archbang, based on arch running openbox.

http://wiki.archbang.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Sitting Fox
07-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Bodhi Linux. :D It has a non-PAE version of its 2.4.0 release for older hardware too, and 3 will have a legacy version that has the same idea.

I think there's a legacy release currently available of the RC1 version of 3, but I think they haven't smoothed it down enough just yet. It still has Enlightenment 19 on it, and they will be downgrading that to E17 for better performance in RC2. Full version of Bodhi 3 should be out late August/early September.

I'm probably going to put that on the old computer that's set up as the family computer once it comes out. I am running the 64-bit RC1 on my new laptop, just because I really like the distro. It's not really meant to be light weight as much as it is that it has a focus on minimalism and that Enlightenment itself is rather light weight. So it kind of ended up that way as a bonus I guess. xD

Nitrogen_Widget
07-29-2014, 09:10 PM
This thread has inspired me to dig up my old laptop running SliTaz 4, which is a minidistribution (~35 MB) that is surprisingly multifaceted for its size. I remember I chose this OS because the laptop running it is several years old and couldn't even run older versions of Windows without lagging in audio and video. Now it's fine.

Question: What is your favorite minidistribution?

I have a love/hate thing going on with slitaz. Been using it since 3.
I love it's speed and size but hate that wifi can be a major pain in the butt or that sometimes it won't work on certain hardware.

I think it makes a great base for an appliance type device or it would make for a good steam machine os
If you want to learn compiling slitaz it a good place to start because it has limited repositories and if you want something specific on ot you'll have to compile it.

boxtropica
07-30-2014, 01:49 AM
My favourite mini-dirstro is Puppy Linux- it's a wonderful live distro that can run 100% in RAM. Insert USB, boot up, take out USB. It's insanely fast on a hard-drive, too.
Requires only 25MB RAM, and you can save all of your files in Live mode to a singluar file. It's great! :D

unplugmealready
07-30-2014, 08:31 AM
My favourite mini-dirstro is Puppy Linux- it's a wonderful live distro that can run 100% in RAM. Insert USB, boot up, take out USB. It's insanely fast on a hard-drive, too.
Requires only 25MB RAM, and you can save all of your files in Live mode to a singluar file. It's great! :D
Puppy arcade is fun

My favourite mini distribution has to be crunchbang, I have played with slax, dsl, puppy etc but found crunchbang to be the easiest to make my own. It's used on my msi wind u180, dual booting alongside kali Linux for a bit of pen testing. Although I can barely use kali as it is pretty new to me.

Starfighter
07-31-2014, 07:37 PM
I pimped my window manager with themes and what not. A nice change!

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/a9rje.png (http://www.ultraimg.com/images/Rjp62.png)

unplugmealready
07-31-2014, 09:02 PM

Hey sitting fox. I tried this today and couldn't get my controller to connect. It kept asking for me to enter a code to connect and when I googled it I sort of got it connected with a different app but the mouse cursor kept drifting to the top left of my screen and I couldn't move it back. How did you manage to get yours to work?

boxtropica
07-31-2014, 09:06 PM
Stylish!
While we're showing off out dekstops, I'll just post mine:
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg578/boxtropica/ShowYourDesktopTuesdayNumix_zps5d402a30.png
Left Dock: Secondary Applications
Bottom Dock: Favourite (Primary Applications) and Running Applications
Right Dock: Folders (File System; Home; All Non-Hidden folders in Home directory)

Starfighter
07-31-2014, 09:42 PM
That's very pretty! I like the clean wallpaper as well!

boxtropica
07-31-2014, 09:53 PM
That's very pretty! I like the clean wallpaper as well!
Thanks! I've been working on a GNOME 3 extension that has the 3-dock style, as well.

undftdroar
07-31-2014, 09:57 PM
might as well post mine here too :p

I :love_heart: KDE

http://i.imgur.com/iFtNdy3l.png (http://i.imgur.com/iFtNdy3.png)

boxtropica
07-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Nice! I didn't like the look of KDE3 (Seemed like a toy box, to me), was OK with KDE4, but I LOVE the look of KDE5! I'm going to replace GNOME3 with KDE5 on my UMPC when KDE5 is stable-er-er.

Sitting Fox
08-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Bodhi Linux 3.0.0 RC1

http://i.imgur.com/qfGLW5d.png

I've made it a little more homey, though I haven't put too much thought into it just yet. The bottom shelf is always visible while the left one pops up only when you hover that way. You can see systray busted over there. xD

The conky is a slightly modified version of the Frankula conky, enough to give me some stats to what's going on.

unplugmealready
08-02-2014, 05:58 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/03/te8e3y6y.jpg

Crunchbang linux on my MSI Wind U180 netbook. I took windows 7 starter off it as soon as I got it

timmytot666
08-02-2014, 06:23 PM
I felt left out

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l85/timmytot666/f63107af-5d70-4753-a24f-679c51f912c2_zps08f35eed.png (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/timmytot666/media/f63107af-5d70-4753-a24f-679c51f912c2_zps08f35eed.png.html)

When I get to my linux box I'll post a better picture til then you're stuck with this lol. Added a bow over my IP address just cause.

boxtropica
08-06-2014, 07:28 PM
I've become addicted to the games in Trisquel's repositories... I need help... I need a doctor... :p
(FOSS gaming has come quite a long way... I may not play PC games that often, but how can you not appreciate it?)

Starfighter
08-06-2014, 07:43 PM
I am thinking about putting Linux Mint 17 on my main PC scrapping Windows all together. Not sure if I have the patience to find substitutes for all my go-to software I use daily but I think it can be done. I need to do some homework...

Maybe other Linux users could help me? Here's what I use and what I have found (leaving out software that already exists on both platforms); thoughts?

Windows software
Linux equivalent

Sony Vegas 12 Pro
Kdenlive

SoundSoap 2
?

Photoshop
GIMP

Illustrator
Inkscape

InDesign
?

AVermedia RECentral
?

iTunes
Banshee

undftdroar
08-06-2014, 07:50 PM
what are your "go-to software"?

Starfighter
08-06-2014, 07:55 PM
I edited it in to my last post just now, take a look! :) I have left out quite a few, because many of them is already available on Linux as it turns out. For example Skype, Steam, Audacity, Handbrake, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, Chrome etc.

Jeffry84
08-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Debian Stable Xfce 64 bit
http://s13.postimg.org/lhnehmxth/new_desk.png

1: Gens (Mega Drive emulator)
2: Clementine (I miss you, Amarok 1.4)
3: Nano or Mousepad
4: Synaptic or apt-get
5: Iceweasel (Firefox)

I've become addicted to the games in Trisquel's repositories... I need help... I need a doctor... :p
(FOSS gaming has come quite a long way... I may not play PC games that often, but how can you not appreciate it?)

What games? I currently have installed 0A.D., Battle for Wesnoth, Frozen Bubble and of course SuperTuxKart

Nitrogen_Widget
08-06-2014, 09:54 PM

I like macpup with it's enlightment desktop.
Otherwise i prefer a distro I can install,tweak then remaster.

PCLinuxOS is super easy to do.
Slitaz can be finicky.

boxtropica
08-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Iceweasel (Firefox)
Iceweasel? I currently use Icecat. Icecat and Iceweasel are near-clones, except that they have different names, and that Icecat is backed by GNU. (Duplication of effort? Perhaps.)

What games? I currently have installed 0A.D., Battle for Wesnoth, Frozen Bubble and of course SuperTuxKart
I currently have installed:
-SuperTuxKart (Do I even have to list this? :p)
-OpenArena
-Beneath a Steel Sky
-A couple of RPGs, all quite nice

I tried to get into 0A.D, but I prefer strategy games as per Fire Emblem. I simply couldn't get into 0A.D. I'll try again, though, as it's been quite a while.

undftdroar
08-06-2014, 10:08 PM
I am thinking about putting Linux Mint 17 on my main PC scrapping Windows all together. Not sure if I have the patience to find substitutes for all my go-to software I use daily but I think it can be done. I need to do some homework...

Maybe other Linux users could help me? Here's what I use and what I have found (leaving out software that already exists on both platforms); thoughts?

Windows software
Linux equivalent

Sony Vegas 12 Pro
Kdenlive

SoundSoap 2
Audacity

Photoshop
GIMP

Illustrator
Inkscape

InDesign
Scribus

AVermedia RECentral
?

iTunes
Banshee

added indesign and soundsoap alternatives, not sure if you can use a ipod or iphone on linux still.

AVermedia RECentral...not sure about that one, maybe avidemux or lives

http://lives.sourceforge.net/
http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

Jeffry84
08-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Iceweasel? I currently use Icecat. Icecat and Iceweasel are near-clones, except that they have different names, and that Icecat is backed by GNU. (Duplication of effort? Perhaps.)

I currently have installed:
-SuperTuxKart (Do I even have to list this? :p)
-OpenArena
-Beneath a Steel Sky
-A couple of RPGs, all quite nice

I tried to get into 0A.D, but I prefer strategy games as per Fire Emblem. I simply couldn't get into 0A.D. I'll try again, though, as it's been quite a while.

Iceweasel is preinstalled on Debian and I like it. Yeah, Icecat just follows the same principles of de-branding FF, plus I think disabling (breaking? lol) some non-free plugin compatibility.

Yeah, I actually have to try 0A.D., I just don't have the time or the will at the same time.
Along with Beneath a Steel Sky you should try Flight of the Amazon Queen. "I'm a pilot for hire, not a pyromaniac!" :D I didn't mention them since I think they aren't FOSS, but I'm not sure.

Starfighter
08-06-2014, 10:28 PM
I feel that Audacity does a worse job than SoundSoap at cleaning up files without losing too much of the quality, but I suspect that's just my inexperience with the software further than hitting record and then export. :D

boxtropica
08-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Iceweasel is preinstalled on Debian and I like it. Yeah, Icecat just follows the same principles of de-branding FF, plus I think disabling (breaking? lol) some non-free plugin compatibility.

Yeah, I actually have to try 0A.D., I just don't have the time or the will at the same time.
Along with Beneath a Steel Sky you should try Flight of the Amazon Queen. "I'm a pilot for hire, not a pyromaniac!" :D I didn't mention them since I think they aren't FOSS, but I'm not sure.
Well, I think Beneath a Steel Sky is Free Software- at least, it better be. It's in Trisquels's repos, and Trisquel can only have FOSS in it's repositories. I'll check if Flight of the Amazon Queen is FOSS, as well. :)

EDIT: Just checked. Yea, both Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen are Free Software. (Both released with ScummVM in 2011 or so.) Thanks for the reccomendation! I'll check it out now!

simple-smile
08-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Windows software
Linux equivalent

iTunes
Banshee

You might consider Amarok instead of that. It's a KDE program, so it will install a lot of dependencies if you're on Cinnamon (my DE of choice), but it's really fabulous as a day to day music program. The iTunes problems persist, of course. But if Apple decides to build a beautiful yet walled garden, these transition problems are to be expected.

Apart from that: Enjoy Mint 17, it's a hell of a distribution. Stable, well thought out, good support of drivers (well, that's Ubuntu 14 really...) and a really nice one to work with if you're used to Windows.

boxtropica
08-07-2014, 08:50 AM
You might consider Amarok instead of that. It's a KDE program, so it will install a lot of dependencies if you're on Cinnamon (my DE of choice), but it's really fabulous as a day to day music program. The iTunes problems persist, of course. But if Apple decides to build a beautiful yet walled garden, these transition problems are to be expected.

Apart from that: Enjoy Mint 17, it's a hell of a distribution. Stable, well thought out, good support of drivers (well, that's Ubuntu 14 really...) and a really nice one to work with if you're used to Windows.
It's just a matter of taste.
Banshee, Rhythmbox, Armok, Totem- pick your poison.

kerk_sorrou
08-22-2014, 02:35 PM
It's just a matter of taste.
Banshee, Rhythmbox, Armok, Totem- pick your poison.
Exactly. For example, I'd choose Rhythmbox.

Sitting Fox
08-24-2014, 06:29 AM
I picked up a used Acer C720 Chromebook cheap that I'm going to try dual booting Bodhi Linux on and see how it goes.

I need to pick up an extra flash drive to make a recovery setup for the Chromebook first, then I'll have at it.

Starfighter
01-28-2015, 02:24 PM
I finally went Linux on my main machine! Well, it's a dual boot with Linux Mint and Windows 7 actually, I didn't want to get rid of the Windows install since I have sooo many Win-only games. So... Hello from the minty side of computing!

Jeffry84
01-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Yay, Starfighter! Which environment did you choose?

Starfighter
01-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Cinnamon!

Jeffry84
01-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Cinnamon!
Mint with Cinnamon? Sounds like a possible taste for an icecream (and it's intentional)! Debian + Xfce here :)

Starfighter
01-28-2015, 05:52 PM
I've found two major drawbacks with Mint already though! 1) I can't use "bankid", a program used to log on to banks, health care sites and other important stuff. 2) There's no way to sync my iPod Touch 4G and transfer music to it, not even in Wine. I'm glad I kept Windows for situations like those! :)

Kaimega
01-28-2015, 06:00 PM
I am happily using Mint.

Starfighter
01-28-2015, 06:48 PM
Which? Cinnamon like me? MATE? KDE? Am I missing someone? Xfce?

Jeffry84
01-28-2015, 07:41 PM
I've found two major drawbacks with Mint already though! 1) I can't use "bankid", a program used to log on to banks, health care sites and other important stuff. 2) There's no way to sync my iPod Touch 4G and transfer music to it, not even in Wine. I'm glad I kept Windows for situations like those! :)

For the iPod, did you try Clementine Music Player? I don't have any iCrap, but a friend of mine said she could manage her iPhone/Pod/Whatever's music collection.

Starfighter
01-28-2015, 07:55 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I did try with Banshee. It sees my device, but I can't do anything with it - which seems to be the problem for everyone with a Touch 4G. I know some older apple devices work with Banshee/Clementine/gtkpod but so far it's a no go with the 4th generation touch.

Kaimega
01-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Which? Cinnamon like me? MATE? KDE? Am I missing someone? Xfce?

Pretty sure I am using Cinnamon :)

Starfighter
01-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Okay, Linux friends, I have two questions for you. On Windows ans OS X, I have Sound Soap 2. It's an audio editor from BIAS that lets me clean up and boost the bass in audio files (useful for podcast editing where someone has a crappy mic). Do you know of any good audio editor that can clean up and boost audio files? I know that Audacity does this, as discussed earlier in this thread, but it doesn't match the capabilities of Sound Soap 2 in terms of quality cleaning. It just... it just doesn't. So let's leave Audacity out of the answer. :)

Edit: Oh, and the second question is; Audacity doesn't start playback when play is pressed - I'm going to google this but I thought if someone knows of a beginners mistake I might have made somewhere along the road of installing Audacity then I could get out of having to google and FAQ-ing for an hour... :D

undftdroar
01-28-2015, 11:13 PM
check out the Recording/Editing section Star.

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080622143124178/Audio.html

Starfighter
01-28-2015, 11:26 PM
I am actually half way through that very list! :D Let's hope I find what I'm looking for.

freestile
01-31-2015, 08:37 AM
I have a few questions...

1. I dont think GEdit dont come wit my distro so I end up d/l and installing it

2. Rhythmbox comes with it so thats I use.

3 - emacs or vi?

3 I've only tried vi so I'd prob say that.

I dont really have a favorite one. I use Fedora and that is rpm based so I just role with the default fronted/store that comes with it.
As for Ubuntu I just pretty much use the builtin- Ubunut Software Center. Not sure of its Synaptics or whatnot, That might be Fedora but not sure either.
Its been a few months since I messed with em. Been messing with the mac and OS X lately.

I stick with Chrome from one of the repositories , official build. I think thats the only way I could ever get it to cast Netflix to my chrome cast. That was a few
months ago so I'm thinking thats probably been implemented into chromium by now.

Starfighter
01-31-2015, 09:43 AM
1. f.lux
It's my favorite application of all time. It filters out certain color temperatures from the screen depending on the time of day and helps my eyes relax. I had trouble sleeping before, but now my screens don't keep me up at night. :)

2. Banshee
I haven't spent much time with Rhythmbox but at a glance I felt Banshee was much more up my alley so I went with that. It has many similarities with iTunes I'd say - which is a good thing as I'm used to that.

3. Emacs
I don't really care as long as the job gets done, but Emacs seems to be much more capable and can even emulate vi so... Why not go with that?

4. mintinstall
I use Mint so I use the built in mintinstall - no thoughts behind that one.

5. Chrome
I really wanted to start using Firefox again during my switch to Linux but I've been using Googles products for so long (I have a Nexus 4 phone, a Chromebook, a subscription for Google Drive and so on and so forth) that I don't want to start over from scratch. The Chrome browser knows me so well (too well?) I don't want to leave it. :)

undftdroar
01-31-2015, 12:15 PM
star since you use an android phone check out linconnect, it show all your android notifications on your desktop.

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/01/get-android-notifications-on-your.html

Starfighter
01-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Nice, thank you!

Sitting Fox
02-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Despite all the Chromebooks, I still use Firefox on them. :highly_amused: Firefox for this Fox.

I did manage to figure out how to dual boot ChromeOS and Bodhi on them. Might eventually wipe ChromeOS off, but right now, it saves me some trouble with all my testing and reinstalling (without having to get into ripping out screws and flashing the rom).

Tried both Chrome and Chromium browsers on one for a spell. Though there was an improvement with flash use there, they gave me their own issues. "Nah. Back to Firefox."

Starfighter
02-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Last night I watched a presentation about Linux and free software and the speaker said "if you're going to use GNU/Linux system, and still use some non-free software, then what is the point?". If one values freedom and choice over convenience then it makes sense to switch to a Linux based OS, but if one were to use several non-free applications on it, then why not use Windows or Mac? It just seems like you've made an almost "statement switch" and then still use the same software in certain situations. I thought about this for a while and figured it's like being a vegetarian instead of a vegan. It's better to use a Linux based OS if you want the world to be populated by more free software - but if you're still feeding the evil machine by showing demand for the products you despise you're not really there. I agree with this thought, but I can think of a few reasons for using a Linux based OS at the same time as non-free software without it being an oxymoron.

1) The money
It's definitely cheaper to live with a Linux machine as the OS doesn't cost anything. If that's your only goal, to save some money, then I think a Linux machine with some non-free software in it makes sense.

2) The feel
If one hates the looks of Windows and OS X then switching to Linux also makes sense.

3) The challenge
Some people loves to tinker, fully understand their hard- and software and just make things work, both as intended and otherwise. This is possible to play around with in all operative systems but the Linux based ones are leaps and bounds ahead of the proprietary ones.

But, as has been pointed out to me, if one take the idealistic stance in using Linux - it doesn't make any sense to install non-free proprietary code.

What are your thoughts on this? Why did you start to use Linux?

Jeffry84
02-09-2015, 11:14 AM
I started using Linux because I like the ideas behind the Free Software philosophy, it probably started because someone gave me a copy of OpenOffice.org and made me realize that there are people making free software for a greater good. Ever since I liked the idea of a completely free operating system, although I'm aware that at the moment it's a goal pretty hard to achieve
Probably any PC or at least an incredibly large majority of them needs some sort of proprietary firmware in order to work: using notebooks, this applies mostly to wi-fi and graphic cards. Furthermore, far too much peolpe rely on proprietary software, and trying to make them consider switching to FOSS is as effective as a Jehova's Witness approach: that's why I also have Skype installed.
To conclude, I try to use as much free software as I can, but I share your vision of being vegetarian and not vegan, or in any case not an extremist. I wouldn't have an Ouya and its proprietary games otherwise or any other console for that matters (on the other hand I don't have proprietary Linux games either).

Kaimega
02-09-2015, 02:24 PM
I switched to Linux a long time ago, and one of the main reasons was because I couldn't stand Windows. This included how it looked, how it operated, and how it is completely and utterly uncustomizable (changing the theme colour isn't customizable.. just made the desktop look tacky).

Seeing it having Openoffice.org among other things was a plus. Before I was able to get into blender fully, I was using Maya 6.5 (as it was a linux software at the time). Now I have a desktop I can fully customize and bend to my will, and use software I enjoy using despite being free, "free" or whatever. I don't think it is fair for spokepeople like that to group the way they did. As everyone has their reasons for using a tool.

Starfighter
02-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Kai: It was one of the very most idealistic characters in the free software movement so understandably it was very polarized. I tend to gravitate to things like that. :D

Kaimega
02-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Kai: It was one of the very most idealistic characters in the free software movement so understandably it was very polarized. I tend to gravitate to things like that. :D

Ha! Fair enough :D

mmartino
02-09-2015, 03:01 PM
My first PC I got when I was 19. It was bought second hand. Came with a copy of Windows 3.1 on it. About a week later I had it completely screwed up and wanted to reload it but the store I bought it from did not have the install disks or license. At the time, Windows 95 was just coming out but I could not afford that so I loaded Linux and the rest is history.

Nitrogen_Widget
02-09-2015, 03:39 PM
I made the jump to linux simply because it runs faster & doesn't get infected with malware or other crap.
It doesn't slow down after being on the system for a yr or so, doesn't need to be defragged either.
I also don't have to re-install linux when I upgrade my mainboard.
I dual booted for months before I made the jump.
There is a learning curve for sure however, my 70yr old mom is on Linux with the Mate desktop.

I keep a win7 partition for games to simplify my life.

It's all about what works for you.
I didn't choose linux because i'm cheap or because of some noble open source stand i've made.
If I need a certain piece of software that does not have a Linux equivalent or does but still costs money then why ignore it if it hurts your functionality?
kinda dumb.

Starfighter
02-09-2015, 04:22 PM
but still costs money
Free software can cost money. I take it you mean software with proprietary code?

then why ignore it if it hurts your functionality? kinda dumb.
It is kind of dumb in some ways, and pretty admirable in others. If one makes the judgement that standing up for what one believe in and with that sacrifice a bit of convenience, then so be it. I remember a speech on the very topic by Richard Stallman that I somewhat agreed with as well, let's see if I can find it.

Yes, here it is! 7:30 in he talks about sacrificing some things in order to live as you learn. I understand his points but I'm not quite there with him as I'm dependant on some software in my future work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1AKIl_2GM

Kaimega
02-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Personally, I don't care is my software is Free, free, or "free". So long as I can use it and it gives me no headaches, I am a happy camper :D

Nitrogen_Widget
02-09-2015, 06:12 PM
Free software can cost money. I take it you mean software with proprietary code?

It is kind of dumb in some ways, and pretty admirable in others. If one makes the judgement that standing up for what one believe in and with that sacrifice a bit of convenience, then so be it. I remember a speech on the very topic by Richard Stallman that I somewhat agreed with as well, let's see if I can find it.

Yes, here it is! 7:30 in he talks about sacrificing some things in order to live as you learn. I understand his points but I'm not quite there with him as I'm dependant on some software in my future work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1AKIl_2GM

Free as in I don't have to pay for it. :)

ezraanderson
02-09-2015, 06:26 PM
~
I have been a little annoyed with my new nvidia card for my windows pc....... Its great hardware just buggy drivers.... so from a great linux master to you nvidia..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ

Kaimega
02-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Lol, Ironically, my Linux drivers work fine with my Nvidia card :p

Jeffry84
02-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Lol, Ironically, my Linux drivers work fine with my Nvidia card :p

Mint includes proprietary drivers during installation. On Debian, I had to install by hand my wi-fi driver. The graphic card is an Intel, so foss drivers :)
Another perspective on the question could be: "Why did you never go back to your confort zone? What made you remain on Linux?". Personally, I loved discovering new stuff every time I switched on my PC (I started with Kubuntu 7.04). I remember the first time I installed it. Not finding C: and seeing that double clicking on a .exe files launched a sort of "open with..." popup gave me a huge headache. After a few weeks, I saw a Windows machine, and the first thing I noticed was that the user had to manually update every program one by one and that s/he had mostly trial version of programs (remember the boring winzip popup which asked you to purchase the full version?) and I don't have words to express how happy I am not to uncheck every single time to avoid installing bloatware with a simple update. I don't want Ask as search engine, and most important of all I DON'T WANT THAT #@*+^%& TOOLBAR! How could I ever think I missed that? Never looked back again.

unplugmealready
02-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Someone asked me my opinion of windows 8 earlier. My response was probably not what they wanted to hear.
I'm running Linux mint at the moment and crunchbang on another machine. Couldn't be happier with the setups

Starfighter
02-09-2015, 10:22 PM
"Why did you never go back to your confort zone? What made you remain on Linux?"
Good point, interesting perspective. I myself can't answer this yet as I've only had Linux Mint on my main system for a week or two.

----

Here's a question; when I right click an image in Chrome (40.0.2214.95 (64-bit)) and chose "Save image as..." it always defaults to jpg (which is the only option in the dropdown menu), meaning it won't be displayed in the image viewer and instead give me this text: "Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x89 0x50". If the file I downloaded actually was a jpg then no problem, but if the file was a gif or a png then it'll just give me that error message and give up. So... how do I make Chrome recognize what file it is and save in that format instead of defaulting to jpg? I could of course just define the file format myself before every download but that seems both tedious and then of course I don't always know myself what format the file is before downloading.

As of now, it's 50/50 if the images I download is viewable - and when they aren't I have to "file filename.jpg" through terminal to get the true file format.

Jeffry84
02-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Using Iceweasel (unbranded Firefox) I usually right click on an image and select "view image", then I try to download it. This way I'm sure it's the intended format and not a resize or any kind of adaptation. Lately people shared images on Skype by links to a MS page with an adapted image which left me no choice to download them in their original format; I know since they told me they were pngs while I got jpegs. Anway I don't use Chrome/ium so it might be just a bug on that browser? (can it be that stupid?)

P.S: Try not giving the file an extension and check the file's properties, Linux can be a good guesser.

kaufenpreis
02-10-2015, 11:02 AM
1.Yakuake
2.Banshee
3.emacs
4.Mandrake's RPM package manager
5.firefox

Starfighter
02-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Anway I don't use Chrome/ium so it might be just a bug on that browser? (can it be that stupid?)
Hm... I'll look in to if it's some sort of bug. It's an updated version of the browser at least, and older versions in Windows work just fine in this regard. I'll have to dig around a bit I think.

P.S: Try not giving the file an extension and check the file's properties, Linux can be a good guesser.
I can't check the file's properties prior to downloading it, and after that it's already up to me to manually define it through terminal with the file format check command. The thing is I don't want to do it manually because I'm a lazy bastard. :D

Jeffry84
02-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Hm... I'll look in to if it's some sort of bug. It's an updated version of the browser at least, and older versions in Windows work just fine in this regard. I'll have to dig around a bit I think.

I can't check the file's properties prior to downloading it, and after that it's already up to me to manually define it through terminal with the file format check command. The thing is I don't want to do it manually because I'm a lazy bastard. :D

Fair enough :D

Kaimega
02-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Hm.. I don't seem to have this problem..

Sitting Fox
02-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Last night I watched a presentation about Linux and free software and the speaker said "if you're going to use GNU/Linux system, and still use some non-free software, then what is the point?". If one values freedom and choice over convenience then it makes sense to switch to a Linux based OS, but if one were to use several non-free applications on it, then why not use Windows or Mac? It just seems like you've made an almost "statement switch" and then still use the same software in certain situations. I thought about this for a while and figured it's like being a vegetarian instead of a vegan. It's better to use a Linux based OS if you want the world to be populated by more free software - but if you're still feeding the evil machine by showing demand for the products you despise you're not really there. I agree with this thought, but I can think of a few reasons for using a Linux based OS at the same time as non-free software without it being an oxymoron.

1) The money
It's definitely cheaper to live with a Linux machine as the OS doesn't cost anything. If that's your only goal, to save some money, then I think a Linux machine with some non-free software in it makes sense.

2) The feel
If one hates the looks of Windows and OS X then switching to Linux also makes sense.

3) The challenge
Some people loves to tinker, fully understand their hard- and software and just make things work, both as intended and otherwise. This is possible to play around with in all operative systems but the Linux based ones are leaps and bounds ahead of the proprietary ones.

But, as has been pointed out to me, if one take the idealistic stance in using Linux - it doesn't make any sense to install non-free proprietary code.

Hey Starfighter,

I had heard good things of Linux from my programming teacher in high school, but I never really got to try it. When I went to uni, I bought a Mac laptop and dual booted Windows on it. My friend had a similar model, and so I thought I'd like that (and Windows was already annoying me). I started out using the Windows side a lot, but with looking around for apps and trying new things, I eventually barely used it. Even when I could run virtual machines, I barely touched it.

I tried Ubuntu a bit some time later, and though I did like it, I didn't really get into it.

Then one day, I came across Bodhi. I started looking at their list of desktop contest winners, and I saw all these neat setups. I think what interested me the most was conky, though how some people worked that into their overall design was pretty cool. I was doing all sorts of stuff in multiple virtual machines, even testing out some of the things labeled unstable.

Then the laptop died, and I went for the switch.

In that, I think trying to force people to go to only libre ('cause 'free' has too many meanings, I'll use that) software is a mixed bag. Sometimes, you have to just work with people making the move gradually--moving to Linux is a big thing in comparison to just sticking with what they've got. Trying to say "You might as well stick to Windows or OS X" and then you get people just going "Oh, OK. I won't bother then." Pretty much like you say above, Starfighter.

But there is some merit in it. I think we should strive to use libre/libre-ish software when we can. In that, over time, we might end up in the position of using only those, and that might be better possible if we can just get more people who try to support this stuff.

I definitely lean toward libre, with pretty much everything proprietary related having to do with drivers and games.

Another perspective on the question could be: "Why did you never go back to your confort zone? What made you remain on Linux?"

That's a nice way to put it, Jeffry.

I was already loving Bodhi when my laptop died. I was already over using Windows, and so taking the Linux option was (and is) my comfort zone. :cool:

More than ever, my computer feels like it's mine. Not just that I use it and own it, but it's fit to me.

Someone asked me my opinion of windows 8 earlier. My response was probably not what they wanted to hear.

Hey unplugmealready,

I like Windows 8. I just dislike the UEFI garbage that makes dual booting so much trouble. I can go to town customizing those tiles. :biggrin-new:

Starfighter
02-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Update on my error on downloaded images: turns out once in a while people actually misname their image files prior to uploading them. Meaning the browser didn't default to jpg, the user on the other end actually renamed a .png image to a .jpg without actually converting it. That's why my system cried "no, noo, nooooooo!!" when I tried to open it and it was expecting a jpg. :)

Jeffry84
02-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Hey Starfighter,

I had heard good things of Linux from my programming teacher in high school, but I never really got to try it. When I went to uni, I bought a Mac laptop and dual booted Windows on it. My friend had a similar model, and so I thought I'd like that (and Windows was already annoying me). I started out using the Windows side a lot, but with looking around for apps and trying new things, I eventually barely used it. Even when I could run virtual machines, I barely touched it.

I tried Ubuntu a bit some time later, and though I did like it, I didn't really get into it.

Then one day, I came across Bodhi. I started looking at their list of desktop contest winners, and I saw all these neat setups. I think what interested me the most was conky, though how some people worked that into their overall design was pretty cool. I was doing all sorts of stuff in multiple virtual machines, even testing out some of the things labeled unstable.

Then the laptop died, and I went for the switch.

In that, I think trying to force people to go to only libre ('cause 'free' has too many meanings, I'll use that) software is a mixed bag. Sometimes, you have to just work with people making the move gradually--moving to Linux is a big thing in comparison to just sticking with what they've got. Trying to say "You might as well stick to Windows or OS X" and then you get people just going "Oh, OK. I won't bother then." Pretty much like you say above, Starfighter.

But there is some merit in it. I think we should strive to use libre/libre-ish software when we can. In that, over time, we might end up in the position of using only those, and that might be better possible if we can just get more people who try to support this stuff.

I definitely lean toward libre, with pretty much everything proprietary related having to do with drivers and games.

That's a nice way to put it, Jeffry.

I was already loving Bodhi when my laptop died. I was already over using Windows, and so taking the Linux option was (and is) my comfort zone. :cool:

More than ever, my computer feels like it's mine. Not just that I use it and own it, but it's fit to me.

Hey unplugmealready,

I like Windows 8. I just dislike the UEFI garbage that makes dual booting so much trouble. I can go to town customizing those tiles. :biggrin-new:

You've pointed out a few interesting things:

Yes, after so many years, Linux is my confort zone and I can't imagine my computer running anything else :)

I'm not one of those who says go 100% tomorrow, though I try to do everything I must or like using libre software. Sometimes it can be harder compared to the "easy" programs you find on other OSes. But then I have to switch on those OSes for someone else and those same easy programs become the least friendly pieces of software when it comes to do something only a step beyond basic stuff.
I also see no lack of libre counterparts for the everyday use: a really tech usavvy friend of mine and my mother both use Debian 7 Xfce proficiently. Plus, did you see what could the Blender Institute using only libre stuff? Have a look at Sintel if you haven't yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4yCwlDxPtY

One can choose among lots of different evironments and these are so customizable that everyone should be able to find a way to have a desktop the way they like. Then they mimick iOS and Win, but that's another story (nothing against it, I used for long Xfce dressed as Gnome 2. Nice cosplay, Xfce)

The second point brings to the third: like you, I perceive my computer as mine; a sensation unachievable on other operating systems indeed or with proprietary software. The "feel free to use and share our software the way you like" is much more welcoming than "use our software the way we want at the price we want, if for any reason we change our mind then you won't be able to use our software again unless you pay full price . Don't touch anything, don't customize anything, we know what's good and you're gonna like it. Including the toolbar."

Schizophretard
02-10-2015, 10:13 PM

1) The money

2) The feel

3) The challenge

I can think of a 4th and a 5th because it is my stance on it.

4) Since free software has a political meaning like free speech then like free speech you "speak" where you can with as much freedom as you can. For an example, lets say there isn't a free version of a piece of software. Then my choices are either "Don't speak on this topic." or "Use the limited free speech that I have on the topic." I would choose the second one because choosing the first would be like,"If I don't have absolute freedom in this topic then I rather have no freedom at all and will keep my mouth shut." In other words, I have more freedom in non-free software than none at all but as soon as a free version is made I would switch to have more freedom on the "topic".

A perfect example of this would be video games. I'm a retro video game collector. So, if I were to refuse to use non-free software in all cases then my collection would be so small that it would hardly be a collection. Refusing to participate in my favorite hobby for 100 years or however long while I wait for the games' copyrights to expire or for the copyright holders to give them free licenses is hardly my idea of freedom.

5) I don't entirely agree with Richard Stallman's criteria for free software. For one he is challenging copyright with copyleft. That is freer but is still limited freedom because it is a license that you have permission to use the four freedoms. True freedom is not having to asking for permission. Therefore copyleft isn't even good enough even though it is better. Good enough is an end to copyrights, an end to the idea of intellectual property. So, if I were to take his stance of not using non-free software but based on my freer criteria then I wouldn't be using software at all unless it became public domain(which I believe all intellectual property should already be). Another one is his criteria to provide the source code to have the freedom to study how the program works. That requires permanent existence of copyright law because without it there couldn't be a license to force one to provide the source code. It isn't really even the freedom to study how it works anyway but a better ability to. It is basically saying that I not only have the freedom to study how a program works but the developer owes me the tools to make that easier and s/he is being forced by a license to provide it. If the initiation of force is required to grant me the source code then the developer is losing some freedom with copyright law in the same way that I do with software that is completely non-free. So, my idea of free software is no intellectual property at all and if a developer wants to protect his/her source code like a trade secret then s/he has the freedom to do so without government force but just by his freedom to refuse to provide it. But, on the other hand, everyone else still has the freedom to try to study how the program works by reverse engineering it, decompiling it, etc. and then make their own version with the source code provided without the developer also being able to use government guns against us.

So, the short version of both of these is that I may use software that isn't entirely free because some freedoms are better than none at all and I may use software that has all of the freedoms minus the source code because my criteria is even more free than Richard Stallman's is for both the users and developers. I believe there should be no intellectual property and the freedoms within this license (http://www.wtfpl.net/) should be what freedoms we have but without needing a license.

Starfighter
02-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Good points! And a wonderful license that I was not aware of. Thank you for that! :D

----

I'm trying to install Levelator but I can't. What am I doing wrong?

Video:
http://s19.postimg.org/m7xce1yqb/Sk_rmbild_fr_n_2015_02_11_12_14_24.png (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13nDMtCqYwXMURubXZWTnlhQlE/view?usp=sharing)
(Download it for full resolution, the preview in Drive is pretty bad)

I do have Python 2.5 or above (I don't remember but I think I have 2.7 or something), wxPython and I'm running an Ubuntubased distro. Or maybe I absolutely must be running Ubuntu for this to work?

Sitting Fox
02-13-2015, 03:58 AM
I am confused on how that works, Starfighter. :confused: Can't help but feel something is missing that should be there, after reading that file, but I'm not really sure.

For the license bit, I like that WTFPL one. xD As far as I understand the reason for Copyleft, its intention is to prevent people from claiming copyright after making some changes and playing the lawsuit game like we have going with software patents now. Make a better layer of protection from that happening. Something like that.

Kaimega
02-13-2015, 04:16 AM
Just tried to open Levelator from the website you mentioned, and I received an empty tar archive.. multiple times.. I wonder if we are getting trolled o_O

undftdroar
02-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Just tried to open Levelator from the website you mentioned, and I received an empty tar archive.. multiple times.. I wonder if we are getting trolled o_O

same here.

what are you trying to accomplish with this program star? maybe we could find an alternative.

Starfighter
02-13-2015, 10:47 PM
I also got the empty archive file from the first site, that's why I went to the second one (https://archive.org/details/conversationsnetwork_org-levelator). I thought it was obvious in the video, sorry for that!

Levelator is a program that levels out audio (extremely common amongst podcasters) so that it's an even volume throughout the recording and no nasty peaks. Here's a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26s7mOksB9E) explaining and demonstrating it in short.
The thing that makes it so highly regarded is that it's so easy to use. One just opens up the program, drop an audio file on it and there you go. Many have tried to reach the same effect using the tools in Audacity, but it's just not as convenient as Levelator where the whole process is automated.

Kaimega
02-13-2015, 10:55 PM
I also got the empty archive file from the first site, that's why I went to the second one (https://archive.org/details/conversationsnetwork_org-levelator). I thought it was obvious in the video, sorry for that!

Levelator is a program that levels out audio (extremely common amongst podcasters) so that it's an even volume throughout the recording and no nasty peaks. Here's a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26s7mOksB9E) explaining and demonstrating it in short.
The thing that makes it so highly regarded is that it's so easy to use. One just opens up the program, drop an audio file on it and there you go. Many have tried to reach the same effect using the tools in Audacity, but it's just not as convenient as Levelator where the whole process is automated.

from the looks of it though, it hasn't been supported for quite some time, so who knows exactly if there was a proper working version?

Starfighter
02-13-2015, 11:00 PM
True... Well, I guess this is yet another audio related software I'll have to use in Windows (still dual booting :D).

Jeffry84
02-14-2015, 01:39 AM
True... Well, I guess this is yet another audio related software I'll have to use in Windows (still dual booting :D).

Can Wine help, Starfighter? And I mean the program, Kai :p (we all already know that wine always helps)

Starfighter
02-14-2015, 10:39 AM
I don't know! I have Wine installed but I felt kind of confused the last time I gave it a go. I'll try it again!

Edit: It did! I now have both Levelator and SoundSoap 2 running on my Linux system through Wine. Which means I'm almost completely set. Now I just need to get used to kdenlive instead of Vegas Pro 12 and I'll have no reason to go back to Windows except for the games.

Sitting Fox
02-23-2015, 04:02 AM
I like using PlayOnLinux for my Wine stuff. I find it makes setting things up and managing them much easier.

Starfighter
04-24-2015, 07:57 AM
I'm making a website in school as a project and the purpose of this site is to list Linux versions (and alternatives) of commonly used Windows software. I'm trying to come up with more common software to list so I'm turning to you guys, do you know of any software that is widely spread and used by almost everyone these days? Large or small, a background task or a significant application, everything goes!

What I have so far:

Alternatives to:
Adobe Illustrator -> InkScape
Adobe InDesign -> Scribus
Adobe Photoshop -> GIMP
Adobe Premiere -> Kdenlive
iTunes -> Banshee/Rhythmbox/Clementine
Listary -> Gnome-search
Microsoft Office -> Open Office/Libre Office
Nero Burning Rom -> K3b
Switch -> Gnac
uTorrent -> Deluge

Software that has a Linux version:
Audacity
Chrome
f.lux
Filezilla
Firefox
Handbrake
PS3 Media Server
Sublime Text 2
Thunderbird
VLC

WINE only:
SoundSoap 2
Levelator

Good idea to install:
Evolous Pencil
Gnome-Go
Graphics card drivers
Gufw Firewall

Not a good idea to install:
BleachBit
Defragment tool of any form

Victor Coleiro
04-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Admin shows how to install Linux Gentoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjGSMUep6_4

Nitrogen_Widget
04-28-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm making a website in school as a project and the purpose of this site is to list Linux versions (and alternatives) of commonly used Windows software. I'm trying to come up with more common software to list so I'm turning to you guys, do you know of any software that is widely spread and used by almost everyone these days? Large or small, a background task or a significant application, everything goes!

What I have so far:

Alternatives to:
Adobe Illustrator -> InkScape
Adobe InDesign -> Scribus
Adobe Photoshop -> GIMP
Adobe Premiere -> Kdenlive
iTunes -> Banshee/Rhythmbox/Clementine
Listary -> Gnome-search
Microsoft Office -> Open Office/Libre Office
Nero Burning Rom -> K3b
Switch -> Gnac
uTorrent -> Deluge

Software that has a Linux version:
Audacity
Chrome
f.lux
Filezilla
Firefox
Handbrake
PS3 Media Server
Sublime Text 2
Thunderbird
VLC

WINE only:
SoundSoap 2
Levelator

Good idea to install:
Evolous Pencil
Gnome-Go
Graphics card drivers
Gufw Firewall

Not a good idea to install:
BleachBit
Defragment tool of any form

What is wrong with bleach bit?
I use it regularly to clear up tmp files and other junk when I remaster a custom Linux .Iso
It is also good for clearing cache and securely deleting files.

Starfighter
04-28-2015, 12:01 PM
What is wrong with bleach bit?
I use it regularly to clear up tmp files and other junk when I remaster a custom Linux .Iso
It is also good for clearing cache and securely deleting files.

Great, you know your way around software like BleachBit? I was actually wondering if it really is that bad. I read this:

Never use cleaning or defrag applications

With cleaning applications like Bleachbit, you easily destroy more than you want. You can't trust them, because before you know it, they remove too much and damage the system.

Besides, they are useless. Linux hardly experiences any pollution. So cleaning is superfluous. You may at most win a gigabyte or so of disk space, at an unacceptably high risk of damage. Should you wish to clean up a bit anyway, then this is a safe way for Ubuntu and this is a safe way for Linux Mint.

Defragmentation tools are even worse. Unfortunately, you can find some defrag tools in the "fringes" of the Linux ecosystem.... Don't use them! There's a huge risk that they either mess up your system beyond all repair, or cause massive loss of files.

Defrag tools are very dangerous rubbish. Without any exception. What's more: Linux doesn't even need defragmentation.

...on this site (https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/fatalmistakes) and if you have the time I'm all ears as to how they're wrong. I don't want to spread misinformation.

Nitrogen_Widget
04-28-2015, 04:05 PM
Great, you know your way around software like BleachBit? I was actually wondering if it really is that bad. I read this:

...on this site (https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/fatalmistakes) and if you have the time I'm all ears as to how they're wrong. I don't want to spread misinformation.

Technically they are not wrong.
Though i've free'd up to 3GB of much needed space on my system partition for my main PC.
See I let linux auto partition my hard drive & the 12GB of space it gave me wasn't enough once I started installing development environments & started compiling my own applications.

I suppose you could hose your system with bleachbit if you click into the advanced settings but it warns you every time you click on the regular deep scrub check boxes.

worst I ever did was clear my auto-fill stuff out of firefox and had to remember my user id's and passwords.
never rendered my system un-bootable or lost important data.

But you have to take into account the site is directed towards user's of ubuntu & new linux user's the have learned just enough linux to make themselves dangerous. :)
and since bleechbit has a root user option you could delete things you didn't mean to if you are just playing around with settings & hit GO.

Like I said, I mainly use it when i'm remastering a custom linux distro to save space on generated .iso and generally isn't needed for the average user & non-dev.
It just isn't a BAD app.

no defrag I 100% agree with.
EXT4 file system doesn't need it.
I've been on the same linux install for so long i'm thinking it's time to replace my hard drive before it goes bad and never even thought about a defrag or needed one.
My windows 7 partition?
not so much.

I only use it to game but still need to clean it up every few months to keep things humming along.

kaufenpreis
05-27-2015, 07:38 PM
I prefer Banshee.

I had a few issues with Rhythmbox. When I imported my music, it did not recognize how long most of the tracks were, therefore, I couldn't scroll through songs. There were some other issues but I can't really remember what they were.

I tried amarok next. It kept forgetting my playlists. The interface just wasn't comfortable to me. I didn't like it at all.

I use Banshee now and it's great. Banshee remembers my playlists and the interface is relatively simple. It recognizes all my songs beautifully. Doesn't crash. It's good for me.

Eldon.McGuinness
05-28-2015, 01:41 AM
Here is a question for the linux lovers, I am looking for a solution similar to DriveBender on windows. Now, before you said linux raid and lvm hear me out on what has me staying with drive bender.

* Drives can be read outside of the raid/lvm setup. This means if I remove a drive, for what ever the reason, from a DriveBender pool, I can hook it up and read the files that are on it.
* Different drive sizes can be used.
* Duplication can be determined at the folder/file level.

Really this is one of the last bits keeping Windows in my house and I would love to replace it.

Starfighter
06-11-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm still way to light of a Linux user to help you out there Eldon, sorry.

I just installed Ubuntu on an old Chromebook and it runs great. More speedy than Chrome OS, believe it or not. I can swap between Ubuntu and Chrome OS at will and have cross-system-sounds/shared folders and what not. Fun! The only downside I've found thus far is that I can't run Unity 3D on an arm7 processor so I'm stuck on Unity 2D with every limitation that brings with it.

Sitting Fox
06-16-2015, 04:04 AM
I use Tomahawk as my music player. Very light weight, and I've found it very nice.

Sorry Eldon, don't think I can help you there. I don't do any crazy hard drive setups, so my experience there is...yeah. :highly_amused:

I just installed Ubuntu on an old Chromebook and it runs great. More speedy than Chrome OS, believe it or not. I can swap between Ubuntu and Chrome OS at will and have cross-system-sounds/shared folders and what not. Fun! The only downside I've found thus far is that I can't run Unity 3D on an arm7 processor so I'm stuck on Unity 2D with every limitation that brings with it.

Heya Starfighter,

So using Crouton? Or maybe ChrUbuntu? Fun stuff. I dual boot on some Acer C720s with a Ubuntu-based distro. Never really looked into the files and all that though, just treated them as separate. Interesting though. Maybe I should poke around. Not sure if it'd be actually useful in my case, but hey.

Unity the game engine? That's also pretty interesting that you got that to run on there at all through Wine, especially if it's an old Chromebook.

unplugmealready
07-10-2015, 02:34 PM
Hey guys I just bought the humblebundle with borderlands and borderlands 2 the other week. Any of you successfully ran borderlands 1 on Linux with wine or play on Linux? I'm considering giving it a try at some point