PDA

View Full Version : My view on the Ouya Menu Backgrounds

dr2391
06-24-2014, 02:43 AM
Hey guys,

I've been to this site on and off since the start but have never posted. I have also been developing for Ouya on and off. I just finished an iOS app so now I'm back to Ouya and game making.

Anyways, I really don't like how they use pictures of Ouyas as menu backgrounds. Idk if it's just me, it doesn't look horrible, but I think it looks a little tacky. I'm not sure what they would replace it with but theres gotta be something that looks better out there. Maybe show screenshots of popular or good games and give the player the option to look at it full screen and find the game if they like it. That might make the menus look like a mess though, its just an idea. A dynamic background would be nice but the amount of work spent doing that would be better spent on something useful. What do you guys think?

Failrunner
06-24-2014, 04:06 AM
To me the pictures tend to look low quality as if they took them with a crappy cell phone. I think they need to stop pretending they are photographers and maybe just make a simple gradient or something. Anything but low res cell phone snapshots of the Ouya. Also. I want to pick my own wallpaper! >: (

Schizophretard
06-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Until they implement custom wallpapers, I think it would be cool if they created a fan art contest that would be us seeing people's fan art as wallpapers. They could use it for some kind of marketing thing. It would be like their graffiti contest.

dr2391
06-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Gradients or fan art would both be better than what they have now

spinal
06-24-2014, 08:18 PM
I like the idea of supplying an image with game uploads, with guidelines of course. That way, similar to PS3, the background could be changeable depending on the game highlighted.

undftdroar
06-24-2014, 10:23 PM
fan art would both be better than what they have now

fan art would be cool....

Sitting Fox
06-24-2014, 11:01 PM
I actually like the current wallpaper. I haven't noticed any fuzziness in it, or at least not that I can remember? Seems like something I'd notice and remember.... *shrugs*

To each their own opinion I suppose.

Until they implement custom wallpapers, I think it would be cool if they created a fan art contest that would be us seeing people's fan art as wallpapers. They could use it for some kind of marketing thing. It would be like their graffiti contest.

I like this idea. :D Then it'd be designs specifically intended to be wallpapers too, which might allow for some really neat ones that take advantage of how things are particularly positioned.

Nitrogen_Widget
06-25-2014, 01:38 AM
I honestly don't want to bothered with wallpaper.
change it if you want for me.
Roku does that with the seasons.
Chromecast cycles through high def pictures.

I just took the Charlie Brown Christmas wall paper down on my desktop. :p

flamepanther
06-25-2014, 05:27 AM
You know, they used to have a gradient for the background. When they switched to the until-recently-current wallpaper of the aluminum OUYA with the gaussian blur and the orange and purple tinting, people generally seemed to agree that it was an improvement. Can't please everyone, I guess.

Anyway, OUYA recently hinted that they were going to try cycling out the backgrounds more frequently, and the past non-gradient backgrounds haven't all been photos of the console (remember the Abominable Snowman?), so let's see what happens...

Schizophretard
06-25-2014, 08:26 AM
I like the idea of supplying an image with game uploads, with guidelines of course. That way, similar to PS3, the background could be changeable depending on the game highlighted.

I really like this idea. I would prefer screen shots. There are so many games now that I get confused which tiles go to which games. If a screen shot popped up in the background as I scroll from tile to tile it would make it so much more easier than looking in details to be reminded which game it is.

I like this idea. :D Then it'd be designs specifically intended to be wallpapers too, which might allow for some really neat ones that take advantage of how things are particularly positioned.

That is what Ubuntu does. All their default wallpapers are made by fans. That is what made me think of it.