PDA

View Full Version : OUYA 2 - What I Would like to see from OUYA on their second generation

HeadClot
06-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Hey everyone,
I am going to list off a few things that I have kept to myself the last few months. I have high hopes for the OUYA 2 coming out this year or early next.

//Specs
Chipset: Tegra 4 or Tegra K1
RAM: 2 GB to 8GB

At the very least I would like to see the OUYA I would like to see an OUYA console with the power of an Xbox 360 with more ram.
I want to make a deep experience without being limited by the hardware.

//Social features
I do not want to see things such as Facebook or Twitter integration. For me Facebook tends to be a center of drama in the universe.
However - Things such as a friend list, a hand full of simple online gaming features would be nice.

Friends List
Join a friends game
Statuses (Online, Offline, Away, etc.)
Achievements for us Achievement Hunters
Native Twitch.TV integration

//Customization of my Discover Feed
I would like a wish list to store my wanted games.
I would like to choose a genre and have that be a part of my feed or to exclude it entirely.

//First Party OUYA Games
First party titles are key in my opinion to showcasing your console as well as improving your development environment.

//Free The Games Fund
I think that this should continue into the OUYA 2's life time to get some awesome new games onto the OUYA 2.

//Price Point
299 USD or Less would be the Ideal price point for me.

//Android
I would like to see the OUYA run on the latest version of Android 4.4.4

//Form Factor
If possible about the size of a Rubrics cube like the original OUYA.
Make it compact - However give it more vents. You cannot have to many vents.

boxtropica
06-21-2014, 01:51 PM
I think the most realistic specs are 2GB and T4, as Julie said a couple of months ago on her Twitter that new OUYA consoles (NOT REVISIONS) would --ALWAYS-- be $99.

Those Social Features would be nice- they'd help OUYA reach the "common Xbone" and "stationeers" and be nice for those people that don't have any friends that aren't 100% infatuated with Xbone and PS4, but OUYA isn't going down that path. OUYA Inc. made their choice a long time ago.

I actually use my Favorites as a wishlist. :p

First party? I think that they should attempt to get a little AAA love to showcase the potential. Of course, I don't know if OUYA can afford a contract with a AAA studio. But, if they have an original idea and execute it well, then why not?

I'd like to see better bluetooth and wifi- the first release was complete hell.

Killswitch
06-21-2014, 02:25 PM
I think the most realistic specs are 2GB and T4, as Julie said a couple of months ago on her Twitter that new OUYA consoles (NOT REVISIONS) would --ALWAYS-- be $99.

Those Social Features would be nice- they'd help OUYA reach the "common Xbone" and "stationeers" and be nice for those people that don't have any friends that aren't 100% infatuated with Xbone and PS4, but OUYA isn't going down that path. OUYA Inc. made their choice a long time ago.

I actually use my Favorites as a wishlist. :p

First party? I think that they should attempt to get a little AAA love to showcase the potential. Of course, I don't know if OUYA can afford a contract with a AAA studio. But, if they have an original idea and execute it well, then why not?

I'd like to see better bluetooth and wifi- the first release was complete hell.

I must have missed that tweet...but I doubt they can keep it at $99 unless it's a T4. A T4 right now is like bowing down to the competition.

I think you will see social features soon enough.

Yeah no first party but there are AAA if you count Playcast. Now they don't have to be ON the console but they technically are on there. Just need developers to step their game up. Not counting "my first game" and all that. But if you're making a big game then go big or go home.

Bluetooth and wifi were fixed with the zebra OUYAs.

Agree for the most part.

$299....no way in hell. Not even a K1.

lartomar2002
06-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Can anyone post a link where Julie or other high level Ouya rep as said there is definitely a Ouya 2 is on the way?

Sitting Fox
06-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Hey lartomar2002,

I know it was said by Julie in the DweebCast interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tivAfoxPXM).

The first part to touch on it is at 2:20, but it's more outright said at the part at 3:12.

lartomar2002
06-23-2014, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the video link. Do you by any chance know the date of that video?

RiotingSpectre
06-23-2014, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the video link. Do you by any chance know the date of that video?

Says in the description that it was published on April 15, 2014.

lartomar2002
06-23-2014, 04:07 AM
Damn, what a dunce I am. I keep forgetting about the description button.;(

DarkFact
09-13-2014, 11:46 AM
personally I don't think a second console will ever be necessary. The guys like Nintendo, sony and Microsoft have it all wrong. It's not horsepower. It's enjoyment of the titles. If a game is only fun for ten minutes whats the point in shelling more money for more hardware. In economically terrible times Ouya makes total sense to me. It's why angry gam3rs is such strong supporters for the platform both verbally and with the titles we are working on. Constantly changing with new machines is a bad idea. If MS would have just made a new 360 with a blue ray, bigger HDD and more system RAM it would have outsold the PS4 ten to 1. Again. It's one of those things where the crowd was happy with 360. The value, etc. Just a few developers options to help indies and less focus on the physical media would have improved the platform. However, when they moved to a 500 machine and I make at work less than 50% of what I did when the 360 came out. Pardon my French but sony and MS had there dick out if they thought I'd spend that much. That is the legal taxes on my car. Power for a month. Internet for 5 months. It makes no sense to build more complicated systems when the machines on the market aren't even tapped out yet. Yeah some of the cry baby devs cry for more power, but that's because with sloppy code you need more RAM & CPU to run it. I don't think I have been too harsh in my comments and apologize if I have offended but if anything just keep improving the current Ouya. Do not do an all out new machine. Just add another gig of ram here or there and leave it be. We will master the hardware and make better games. It's not like a new machine will have any more than 5.1 surround or higher than 1080p. So why bother? Leave it alone let it grow and don't stop a great thing. JUST expand this Ouya to be competitive. The dev will be able to really amaze with the hardware and not have to have new dev kits, per say :).

Again sorry for running my chops just had to say what was there. :)

boxtropica
09-13-2014, 04:03 PM
personally I don't think a second console will ever be necessary. The guys like Nintendo, sony and Microsoft have it all wrong. It's not horsepower. It's enjoyment of the titles. If a game is only fun for ten minutes whats the point in shelling more money for more hardware. In economically terrible times Ouya makes total sense to me. It's why angry gam3rs is such strong supporters for the platform both verbally and with the titles we are working on. Constantly changing with new machines is a bad idea. If MS would have just made a new 360 with a blue ray, bigger HDD and more system RAM it would have outsold the PS4 ten to 1. Again. It's one of those things where the crowd was happy with 360. The value, etc. Just a few developers options to help indies and less focus on the physical media would have improved the platform. However, when they moved to a 500 machine and I make at work less than 50% of what I did when the 360 came out. Pardon my French but sony and MS had there dick out if they thought I'd spend that much. That is the legal taxes on my car. Power for a month. Internet for 5 months. It makes no sense to build more complicated systems when the machines on the market aren't even tapped out yet. Yeah some of the cry baby devs cry for more power, but that's because with sloppy code you need more RAM & CPU to run it. I don't think I have been too harsh in my comments and apologize if I have offended but if anything just keep improving the current Ouya. Do not do an all out new machine. Just add another gig of ram here or there and leave it be. We will master the hardware and make better games. It's not like a new machine will have any more than 5.1 surround or higher than 1080p. So why bother? Leave it alone let it grow and don't stop a great thing. JUST expand this Ouya to be competitive. The dev will be able to really amaze with the hardware and not have to have new dev kits, per say :).

Again sorry for running my chops just had to say what was there. :)

Even if it isn't a good idea, OUYA may be doing this to avoid pissing off the user-base. It was a promise in the Kickstarter that they would have a new console every year- to not do this would be to lie to them. There are already enough people upset about the premium games; we don't need any more.
Besides, powerful hardware is very important. There have been plenty of developers that have avoided the OUYA because they saw it as "Too weak." Not to mention OUYA Everywhere consoles being more powerful that the offical OUYA- for developers to utilize the extra power of these consoles they need an equal official OUYA to keep up.

Victor Coleiro
09-14-2014, 01:27 AM
Unfortunately , with talks of a full/part buyout of Ouya, I cant see an Ouya 2 happening until that occurs.

To bring a Ouya 2 to retail , Ouya inc will need between $10 - $15 Million which I'm pretty sure they don't have, thus the buyout need or at least some kind of cash injection.

Killswitch
09-14-2014, 02:40 AM
They don't produce enough units to need that much cash.

Victor Coleiro
09-14-2014, 02:43 AM
They don't produce enough units to need that much cash.

To bring an Ouya 2 to retail they will need that much cash, just like they needed $15 Million to bring the Ouya 1 to retail. There are a number of factors that dictate that, Part MOQ's etc . To be honest $15 Million is ridiculously low to produce a product and launch it for retail.

mmartino
09-14-2014, 02:47 AM
To bring an Ouya 2 to retail they will need that much cash, just like they needed $15 Million to bring the Ouya 1 to retail. There are a number of factors that dictate that, Part MOQ's etc . To be honest $15 Million is ridiculously low to produce a product and launch it for retail.

For Ouya 1 they thought they only needed 950k So if they really needed that 15 million then they have been very lucky and a horrible company before they even started lol

Victor Coleiro
09-14-2014, 02:52 AM
For Ouya 1 they thought they only needed 950k So if they really needed that 15 million then they have been very lucky and a horrible company before they even started lol

They needed 950k for the Kickstarter , not the retail launch. The $15 million was to launch it at retail

As an aside, for some background. From memory, the Minimum order quantity for Tegra SOCs is 50k or 100k. If you are developing a product and need less than that, you need to make an application detailing your product . Nvidia then access your product to see if it will show case their SOC/strategy . They then make their decision on selling you less than MOQ based on that. No doubt, Ouya went through this for the initial kickstarter volume they aimed for (~1,000). This is used for initial runs to help a small company bring their product (which Nvidia have decided showcases their SOC) to reality.

Your not going to do a retail launch with less than making 50-100K units anyway. You'd be hoping to sell 100k in the first few months anyway. Lets say the Ouya 2 costs Ouya inc $90 each to make , a run of 100K would be $9 million + R&D + contingency + retail marketing etc etc.

Killswitch
09-14-2014, 04:14 AM
9M is still less than 15M. Think there isn't as much R&D and whatever else as some people think.

Victor Coleiro
09-14-2014, 04:32 AM
9M is still less than 15M. Think there isn't as much R&D and whatever else as some people think.

Its not $9M, its $9Milion + R&D, contingency (for inevitable issues), marketing to launch it etc etc etc. - I did say $10-$15 Million.

The question really isn't do they need that kind of cash to launch an O2 - it's pretty much a given. The question is , do they have it. I'm guessing no, thus the alleged need for a cash injection. ie I'll go out on a limb and say, you won't see an Ouya 2 until you see a part/full buyout or other cash injection .

mmartino
09-14-2014, 04:40 AM
No the question is "OUYA 2 What I Would like to see from OUYA on their second generation" We should all probably get back to the topic for the thread. Plenty of other "Why will O2 not get made" threads already or you can make one if you wish to discuss it

Nitrogen_Widget
09-14-2014, 06:09 AM
Even if it isn't a good idea, OUYA may be doing this to avoid pissing off the user-base. It was a promise in the Kickstarter that they would have a new console every year- to not do this would be to lie to them. There are already enough people upset about the premium games; we don't need any more.
Besides, powerful hardware is very important. There have been plenty of developers that have avoided the OUYA because they saw it as "Too weak." Not to mention OUYA Everywhere consoles being more powerful that the offical OUYA- for developers to utilize the extra power of these consoles they need an equal official OUYA to keep up.

Bah, that's what they claim.
Even if the next ouya was running x86 android on an 8 core AMD apu they would still find an excuse.
It isn't the hardware, its the games.
From what I've seen the only difference between ouya and mojo is that mojo can handle 720p games at 1080p.

T4 is fine for the next ouya. No point in ubering it up when devs still won't port their games over.

richardhilton590
09-18-2014, 03:36 AM
I don't want to see Facebook integrated in Ouya as well or any other kind of social media for that matter. Headclot's suggestions on social features seem acceptable. I think many would appreciate your suggestions as well. Though I bet it will take a longer time to see Ouya 2.

lartomar2002
09-18-2014, 04:44 AM
Don't hold your breath waiting on O2 being made unless one of the companies Ouya is courting wants to revive the Ouya. But it still will not be soon.