PDA

View Full Version : Discover Needs to Enforce Accurate Representation

LightyKD
06-21-2014, 05:21 AM
Quick thread here about something that needs to be discussed. It seems that Discover might be having a bit of an issue when it comes to certain developers representing their games. For example, Unearthed's pictures and video all come from the PS3/PC version of the game. Now don't get me wrong, the OUYA version looks VERY close but features a lot more jaggies and less clarity in the textures, even thou the textures look nearly identical. I fear that while devs may be getting off the hook by not having to make demos anymore, they might be trying to take further advantage of us by not showing off actual OUYA version footage and images. It's one thing if the game was in 2D but for 3D games, this is unacceptable.

RiotingSpectre
06-21-2014, 05:38 AM
Don't forget those fucks like SEGA who just slap on a phone picture that contains on-screen controls and calls it a day. That leads people to believe that the OUYA version has that during actual gameplay. We're looking like an Always Save brand marketplace with this array of unprofessional bullshit.

Killswitch
06-21-2014, 05:52 AM
This is one of the downfalls we mentioned when it happened. Another reason there needs to be a serious gatekeeper on this. We see broken games get in, misrepresented games, etc.

Can we get a gatekeeper?
I'll make it easier, send me an OUYA 2, employee badge, every game that comes out and 2 more OUYA 2s for...other people who will appreciate it and have an NDA with me that says if they talk then I can break a foot off in their ass, literally. :D

Seriously, we do need a serious gatekeeper for detail checking or something but if you do want to give me a badge and a paycheck, we might be able to talk... :D

xAD
06-21-2014, 06:13 AM
The people who didn't want demos apparently like buying games that turn out to suck.
The people who did want demos generally won't buy games without demos.
So, in the end, everybody's still happy. No policing necessary. ;)

boxtropica
06-21-2014, 06:24 AM
It's not even just that. The current regulations that OUYA enforces for games on the Discover store simply isn't enough to ensure quality, and some of the regulations they do have are ignored!
I mean, about 70% on the Discover store is crap- about the same percent as the Play Store. Discover has a screening process yet beyond sub-par quality and zero-effort ports breeze on by, and this simply gives OUYA a bad name.
There isn't a good balance between being Dev-friendly and being User-friendly... By Dev-friendly I mean being accessable and easy to get your game onto the console (OUYA is so dev-friendly right now that almost anything can make it on the Discover store- even ridiculous, pointless, 10-second, ugly applications and games), and by User-friendly I mean having quality that would keep users enticed... Having a sea of crap that you have wade through isn't very user-friendly, and only those who really like the OUYA would deal with it, quite frankly. At least the crap on other consoles LOOKS GOOD at first.

OUYA is doing great at being dev-friendly, but there need to be slightly more restritive regulations- it wouldn't kill OUYA to tell devs "Hey, could you change the button icon to the official button icon?" or "You should probably fix the analog stick input, it's pretty wonky" etc, etc.

Regulations that I think should be enforced as to not restrict devs too much, but not to make it too easy to slap a phone game onto the Discover store...

--Fix your controls. Sappy ports that you find everywhere generally have paid little thought, if any to the controls, which leaves you with a horrible experience.

--Menus should be fluid, as too many times can you find a game of which can only be navigated with up/down when you could clearly navigate right, or if the handling is horrible (See Critical Missions: SWAT Free) and unusable, just say "Fix your damned menus"

--Naming convention should be adressed. Too often can you find applications with horrible names- Critical Missions: SWAT Free, Workout on OUYA, XMBC on OUYA, Pocket RPG... Basically a title that screams "I AM AN OBVIOUS PORT", or tells you that yes, indeed you are playing this on the OUYA! (XMBC on OUYA... Redundant much redundant?) Or something that says "Free" at the end of it. Yes, we can tell if it's FREE* or FREE by looking at the tile. We don't need you yelling at us- again, redundant much redundant?

--Fix your pictures and your videos. "OU YA, let's stick the phone screenshots and phone video on the OUYA page. No one will notice the difference!" Yes, people notice, and it makes your game and OUYA as a whole unproffesional.

--Put what in-game payments can be made on the game page, so you don't find out that $0.99* means $12... Example is OUCH COUCH as explained above.

--If something is downright hell-spawn bad quality, then don't be afraid to decline it- just don't get trigger-happy. This should be done only if an application is truly SO BAD that they would be wasting money just hosting on servers because said game would do none any good.

Thing is, these are little things that would greatly improve OUYA and the Discover store as a whole. Quality would increase greatly, more newcomers would feel comfy due to said quality- this equals more profit and more users.

Sorry for my mini-rant... When I rant my message usually doesn't make a lick of sense- I'll touch this up later when I'm less tired.

Killswitch
06-21-2014, 06:43 AM
Boxtropica speaks...whoa :p

I agree with you for the most part but Pocket RPG was a pocket RPG. I had it since it was first out on Android. I say name it what you want. That's the least of the issues.

boxtropica
06-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Yea, the names are kind of just me nit-picking and my OCD eating at my soul. :p

spinal
06-21-2014, 10:51 AM
I have refused to download some games in the past purely because the screenshots have virtual buttons on them. It's just laziness on the part of the developers to use iOS/Android screenshots rather than take new ones.

Sluup
06-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Mnadatory screenshots and trailers (trailers are optional) directly from the Ouya would be nice, I remember seeing an end of a trailer in DISCOVER saying "Coming 2012 for iOS and Android) No mentionings of Ouya. heh :D

SwiftIllusion
06-21-2014, 03:19 PM
This is a similar issue with Steam Greenlight now. It's basically "I'll make more money with more games on the platform, it'll cost more money to go into depth with each game and critique/hold back games and efforts that are below any fair standard, so I'll let everything slide even if that results in a swamp of bad games users have to trudge through". Not intending to paint OUYA as bad guys even though it would be nice if they balanced their consideration towards consumers a bit more, just saying that this is the regretful state of all areas of game distribution so I don't have any belief it will change.

Schizophretard
06-21-2014, 08:03 PM
I think the video and screen shots should be of what would be actually on the OUYA. Misrepresentation may not even be a strong enough word. Fraudulent would be more accurate. When Unearthed was released the other day I watched the video, pointed at it to show my wife, said something like,"That looks like it could pass as a PS3 game.", and was impressed that the OUYA could pull that off. It turns out that it is a PS3 game. Tile art is one thing because there is some creative liberty there but videos and screen shots are what you think will actually be on your screen. It is part of the information you use to determine if you want to make a purchase.

Sitting Fox
06-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Well, personally, it does not bother me to have "lesser quality" graphics than the videos and screenshots show for an OUYA game. But I am really not one to care strongly about graphics.

I think in the least, a sort of disclaimer should be listed in the videos and pictures. I think that is at least an easy sort of middle ground to the situation that would help make it clear and not mislead people who do find graphics to be highly important.

I can better see not wanting to remake the video as opposed to not remaking the screenshots, as the screenshots would be rather easy to do. All the same though, if the developer(s) of a game don't want to take the time to do it, they get to have a disclaimer. If they don't like the disclaimer stuck on there, then make a new video and/or pics just for the OUYA.

RiotingSpectre
06-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Well, personally, it does not bother me to have "lesser quality" graphics than the videos and screenshots show for an OUYA game. But I am really not one to care strongly about graphics.

I think in the least, a sort of disclaimer should be listed in the videos and pictures. I think that is at least an easy sort of middle ground to the situation that would help make it clear and not mislead people who do find graphics to be highly important.

I can better see not wanting to remake the video as opposed to not remaking the screenshots, as the screenshots would be rather easy to do. All the same though, if the developer(s) of a game don't want to take the time to do it, they get to have a disclaimer. If they don't like the disclaimer stuck on there, then make a new video and/or pics just for the OUYA.

You and me both, amigo. Graphics are the video game industry's way of painting over the cracks of their undeniable lack of gameplay. You have to understand that OUYA Incorporate isn't really in any position to make disclaimers that hinder the ability to publish things onto Discover. You have to remember that we removed the forced demo policy because they realized that they were blocking way too many people out and needed to remove it in order to remain active as the little fish in the big pond we call business.

Editing a video frame by frame is a nightmare; this much is true. If you're porting a game over from Google Play which has an accurate representation on what it looks like on OUYA then the developer should disable the on-screen controls and then take a picture if they (for whatever reason) don't take it from the console in any way. It would have to come from them and not OUYA Incorporate putting any sort of foot down as previously explained. It's a rather nasty situation we're in my little sitting mammal but it is what it is. The only thing that anybody can do is have people like yourself change the situation game by game by doing what's right and not pulling stunts like we're talking about.

Sitting Fox
06-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Hey Riot,

My suggestion is moreso a middle route idea between doing nothing and doing something, if at least something is thought to be done. I mean, if there is any sort of consideration of having the OUYA folk look through each imagery and determine if it is accurate (more to as you put it than I originally did), as opposed to not allowing those at all, the disclaimer "stamping" could be done instead in the same way. It would not have to be the developer(s), as just adding some overlays in Discover and even the website seems possible and, in that case, would do the trick. The actual screenshots and video would be untouched.

Probably more problems to it than that though, huh? xD

As I said, I personally don't mind whether something is done about OUYA-accurate imagery or not. And in that, I overall agree with you. I'm not really pushing this alternative idea of mine, moreso just putting it out there.

trizznilla
06-22-2014, 03:59 AM
The spit polished screenshots don't really bother me, the gaming media/hype machine has been unapologetically spoon-feeding that crap to us for over a decade anyway. I do very much want the game description to include what every in-app purchase entails. I'm looking right at you, Ouch Couch. The audacity of that in-game purchase is honestly the closest any game has come to simulating a real hemorrhoid.