PDA

View Full Version : Changning the Home button symbol from a U to an S?

Jeffry84
06-07-2014, 04:27 PM
For future revisions of the controller, it could be good for the Home button ((U)) to change symbol, since it creates some confusion with the U one. My suggestion is to make it an S, as it reminds of Start and/or Select or a stylised house. There could be a problem though with games and the symbol they use to represent the buttons.
What do you think?

RiotingSpectre
06-07-2014, 04:28 PM
What if future revisions of the controller (which will be OUYA Two controllers at this point) have both a Start & Select button?

Jeffry84
06-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Start and Select <3 I already wrote that they would be an important thing to have in more than one thread. Is that something you know for sure, Riot? :)
Still a stylised house is a Columbus' egg to avoid confusion imo.

undftdroar
06-07-2014, 04:39 PM
was never confused between the two though, and i really don't see the need for start and select buttons unless playing emulators. thats just me though :wink-new:

RiotingSpectre
06-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Start and Select <3 I already wrote that they would be an important thing to have in more than one thread. Is that something you know for sure, Riot? :)
Still a stylised house is a Columbus' egg to avoid confusion imo.

*Doesn't Know Anything About The New Controllers*

vatigo
06-07-2014, 04:51 PM
What's the select button for anyway?
I can't remember ever using it on the PS2

undftdroar
06-07-2014, 04:54 PM
What's the select button for anyway?
I can't remember ever using it on the PS2

maps...lol i can't remember what else.

Jeffry84
06-07-2014, 06:13 PM
The Codec in Metal Gear Solid? Lol, yes the Select button is the least used button ever. But still better than the new Share button on the PS4 (ugh..!)
Anyway yes, I would put it there at least fot the emulation sake.
As for the confusion, I now it's not big, but it seems kinda stupid to see "Press U", you press one button but it meant the other.

P.S. oh, and let's not forget the instant menu/ragequitting Start+Select, almost a standard combination.

undftdroar
06-07-2014, 06:20 PM
whoa totally forgot about the codec in mgs lol.

Rhellik
06-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I think this is very confusing too. Not that I ever had an actual problem yet, but one is a flatter U in a circle the other one, if portrayed as a button is a U inside a circle. So definitely confusing.

Kaimega
06-07-2014, 08:08 PM
I think this is very confusing too. Not that I ever had an actual problem yet, but one is a flatter U in a circle the other one, if portrayed as a button is a U inside a circle. So definitely confusing.

Well, there are ouya controller graphics, I don't see how people could get confused if they just used the grpahics available.. though people still somehow got confused with the Bard's Tale..

I never seen why having "Start and Select" would be ideal, I never see select used for anything (except mentioned by Jeffry).

Sega never once had a Select button and they did fine.. well at least nobody complained about lack of a select button anyway :p

Sitting Fox
06-07-2014, 08:44 PM
I think the home button symbol is kind of weird, but I have never been confused by it. I have always found the images to clearly mean that button and not U and vice versa.

If it were to be changed to a one-letter label, I would suggest H.

I am not really bothered by it as-is though.

-----------

Actually, make that M for Menu rather than H for Home, since it's more of a menu button than a home one.

But again, it's not broke in my opinion, so no need to "fix" it.

xAD
06-15-2014, 06:24 AM
Sega never once had a Select button and they did fine.. well at least nobody complained about lack of a select button anyway :p

Untrue. The "Mode" button on the Genesis/MegaDrive six-button controller was used far more often as an ersatz Select button than for 3-button compatibility.

Kaimega
06-15-2014, 06:42 AM
Untrue. The "Mode" button on the Genesis/MegaDrive six-button controller was used far more often as an ersatz Select button than for 3-button compatibility.

What about the Sega Saturn, or the Master System, how bout the Dreamcast?

I had a 3 Button Genesis, and never once did I need a select button for any game either.

I really don't think a select button is necessary, except if you want to play emulators I suppose. Currently as the button is however, I think it is fune.

Killswitch
06-15-2014, 11:31 AM
So no one had a Genesis? Didn't think this mattered...
Guess we'll find out in a few months

Schizophretard
06-15-2014, 12:21 PM
I think the source of the confusion is just that OUYA is new and not a known brand yet. So, people are still learning what things mean. The face buttons on the Kickstarter were originally just O different colors. That probably would have caused even more confusion because the color is what you would have to remember instead of the letter with the color and color blind people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. So, they changed the buttons to OUYA and kept the colors. That makes a lot of sense and puts the name right on the controller. The menu/system button is just like how PlayStation does it. Theirs is a PS designed in a way for the Playstation icon. The U inside of the O is OUYA's icon. It is meant to look like a smiley face emoticon made out of the O and U that in the word OUYA stands for Open Universal. It is a clever icon for representing the brand. It is the same on the power button and they use it on other promotional materials. As of now it can be confused with just being a U being circled instead of the circle being an O but as the brand becomes more known the icon representing OUYA would be just as recognizable as the design of the P and S on Playstation's menu/system button and promotional materials. I think since they have started using the icon more in a reddish orange color for promotional materials and how both the white and black OUYAs have it as that color that they will help clear things up. It being that color on the controllers makes it look more pronounced. Therefore, I just think that future iterations and the OUYA 2.0 should keep with that new color for the menu/system button because it is less confusing and more pronounced than the glossy black color on the launch controllers. It is harder to get a big red OUYA icon in the middle of the controller mixed up with a blue U. Another thing that would be helpful is if they made the OUYA icon on the power button more pronounced by making it a transparent red so the white light will make it look like the menu/system button to associate it more as being the OUYA icon. In short, I think the confusion is just a lack of brand recognition and the original color of the old controllers. When people know that the symbol below is the OUYA icon smiling at them it will be just as recognizable as the Playstation icon popping up at the end of their commercials.

Sitting Fox
06-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Yeah, that sounds about right. I know my Xbox 360 controller, the home button is the shiny X symbol thing, but you would not confused that with the regular X button. You know it's the Xbox symbol.

Jeffry84
06-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Yes, honestly it sounds right. It's just that it's barely used as a Start button (but even on the PS most people press X instead of Start) along with the fact that it usually is not called OUYA button, but simply U or "that U button in the middle, not the blue one" :)

Start and Select are another topic: I would put them there at least for the emulation sake, although the OUYA button could work more in game as Start/Pause button (not so often so far, or at least not a standard).

Schizophretard
06-16-2014, 01:49 AM
Yes, honestly it sounds right. It's just that it's barely used as a Start button (but even on the PS most people press X instead of Start) along with the fact that it usually is not called OUYA button, but simply U or "that U button in the middle, not the blue one" :)

Start and Select are another topic: I would put them there at least for the emulation sake, although the OUYA button could work more in game as Start/Pause button (not so often so far, or at least not a standard).

I think in games they should make sure to call it the menu/system button to help clarify.

Adding a start and select button I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, it may make things easier for emulators. On the other hand, developers already don't do things perfectly to OUYA's standards like A for back/cancel. So, to not add even more confusion from some developers using start and select instead of the menu/system button they may have to make a rule that start and select can only be used for emulators. If they did that then the media may spin it in a way that OUYA isn't just open to emulators but is actively encouraging piracy by designing their controller around emulation. Also, people already complain over the price of the controllers and OUYA would be adding two more buttons that would only be used for emulation.

Killswitch
06-16-2014, 01:53 AM
Now I'm curious on what the controller will look like...might be time for the ninja mask.

undftdroar
06-16-2014, 02:16 AM
did i just hear ninja 1669